+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Major League Baseball 2009

Re: Major League Baseball 2009

That was absolutely the worst call I have ever seen in a professional sporting event. The guy was no more than twenty feet away standing on the foul line, the ball ticked off the outfielder's glove in fair territory, and landed at least a foot and a half inside the foul line. That umpire should not work another postseason game. There is simply no excuse. The crew chief's explanation that umpires aren't used to getting in position when they are the extra umpire down the line and that the guy felt really bad was a joke. He was in position. He just utterly blew the call. If I was really cynical, I'd wonder if he bet on the game.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Awesome game last night between the Yanks and Angels. Lots of errors, but still good game. And I'm so glad A-Rod is finally stepping up and producing in the postseason. Let's go Yanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;3723633;
    those in Minnesota have a different idea about whether the Yankees actually "won" or whether the game was decided by the ump who called Maurer's ground a double a fly ball, costing the Twins their winning run in extra innings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3723639;
    That was absolutely the worst call I have ever seen in a professional sporting event. The guy was no more than twenty feet away standing on the foul line, the ball ticked off the outfielder's glove in fair territory, and landed at least a foot and a half inside the foul line. That umpire should not work another postseason game. There is simply no excuse.
    Sorry, guys. I hadn't even watched the Yankees-Twins game when I made that comment. My bf was watching it in another room and just gave me scoring updates. It wasn't until the next day that I saw all the replays and heard everyone talk about it in detail. No one thought that was a fair call in New York.

I went to the game last night and there were a couple of controversial calls in that one too. One that went for the Yankees and one against. I wonder why baseball doesn't use instant replay on at least some of these plays? Maybe b/c it would make very long baseball games even longer? It seems like they should at least use it in the postseason.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3723639;
    That was absolutely the worst call I have ever seen in a professional sporting event.
    Want to use this post again for the blown call at third last night Mariner? I wonder how much the Yankees payroll really is when you add in what Steinbrenner is paying the umps.

Umpire Tim McClelland makes the worst call of all time - Big League Stew - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3733214;
    Want to use this post again for the blown call at third last night Mariner? I wonder how much the Yankees payroll really is when you add in what Steinbrenner is paying the umps.
    As a lifelong Yankees fan, I find that remark very hurtful. I could say the same thing about the Red Sox, but I know it is not true for either team. Umpires do make mistakes and until recently, never admitted them. I have seen as many bad calls against the Yankees as in favor of them over the years. The call against Swisher for leaving early was as wrong as the call at third base. And none of them affected the outcome of the game.

The Yankees were winning World Series long before Steinbrenner was ever a part of the franchise. They have won almost 25% of the World Series in the history of the game and no one will ever come close to matching that.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3733255;
    As a lifelong Yankees fan, I find that remark very hurtful.
    I really don't believe George is paying off the umps. It was a satirical remark aimed at the screwed up "salary cap" in MLB. Until that is fixed the haves will continue to have and the have nots will occasionally find their acorn like the blind squirrel.

The Indians hired Manny Acta as their coach. . I can't believe it. This guy has one of the wort records from the past 50 years among managers with at least 2 years experience. I swear it is Major League for real.

Cleveland Indians sign ex-Washington Nationals manager Manny Acta to 3-year deal - ESPN

The Yanks are World Series bound again!!!! So glad to be back, its been way too long (2003). Now lets get it done and win this World Series!!

ETA: So glad we have Teixiara because the plays he made at first there is no way Giambi could have made any of them.

FORT Fogey

Go my Yankees go!!!

BTW--NPR had a great report/discussion on/by major league umpires a few months ago that was very eye-opening.

One of the things they said was that there is a huge misperception about what umps can/cannot do.

They said that they are so focussed on the specific action--they have to be because that is their job--that they often can't really say who their calls are benefitting.

I don't know if that report can still be accessed at the npr dot org website but it was fascinating to hear.
    (It was about 25 minutes long.)

One more win to go for the Yankees!
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast