+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michael Phelps' Pot "Scandal"

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Michael Phelps' Pot "Scandal"

What is your feeling on this? I don't think it's so bad if he smokes pot on occasion (and by that I mean at a party maybe when someone else is driving him home). But I'm guessing that he has a morality clause with his multi-million dollar endorsements and they could choose to use this to drop him. However, I don't think they will drop him.

Michael Phelps Weighs Future after Embarrassment - Scandals & Feuds, Michael Phelps : People.com

His mother, his two sisters and his coach will help Michael Phelps decide whether he will compete in the 2012 Olympics in the wake of the publication of a tabloid photo showing him smoking a marijuana pipe, the champion swimmer informs his hometown paper.

"This is a decision of mine that I'm not going to make today and I'm not going to make tomorrow," Phelps, 23, told the Baltimore Sun on Wednesday, after his daily workout at the Meadowbrook Athletic Club.

"It's going to require a lot of time and energy and a lot of thinking for myself. But also talking to Bob [Bowman, Phelps's coach] and talking to my family and just deciding what I want to do."

Saying he "clearly made a mistake" and felt embarrassed and uncomfortable, Phelps added, "Yeah, there are still goals that I have in the pool, 100 percent. But I'm not going to let anything stand in my way. If I decide to walk away, I'll decide to walk away on my own terms. If it's now, if it's four years, who knows. But it is something I need to think about and decide what I want to do."

Difficult to Tell Mom
    Phelps also admitted it "definitely wasn't easy" to inform his mother, Debbie, who is a school principal, about the photo – and that it reminded him of his 2004 DUI arrest.

"This is just a stupid thing of mine that I did, and I have to live with it," he said, telling the paper, too, that he is not a regular pot smoker.

After last weekend's publication of the photo, which reportedly was taken in South Carolina last November, the local sheriff said he is looking into possible criminal prosecution against Phelps.

"This was stupid," said the swimmer, "and I know this won't happen again. It's obviously bad judgment and it's something I'm not proud of at all. I will say that with the mistakes that I've made in my life, I've learned from them. Every one of them. And I've become a better person."

He added, "That's what I plan to do from here. It's definitely not what I wanted, and it's clearly not what my mom wanted."

Re: Michael Phelps' Pot "Scandal"

I don't know many 23 years old that smoke pot just this once. My feeling is that he does it often and his mistake was getting caught. I'm not for taking drugs and never smoked pot in my life, but I am a realist and know that there are things worse than that. I don't think he should feel like his life is ruined because of it.

My first thought on hearing this story was that it explains the mountains of chocolate-chip pancakes he reportedly ate while he was *training* for the Olympics.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

There is a problem smoking pot....it is ILLEGAL! If a person wants to put him/herself out to others as role models, then the person needs to act like one and follow all the laws, not just the ones he/she wants to. I have heard over many (30) years how people are going to change the law, but it has never happened. So until it does, there is no excuse for breaking the law.
    There's no place like home!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3305544;
    My first thought on hearing this story was that it explains the mountains of chocolate-chip pancakes he reportedly ate while he was *training* for the Olympics.
    I was thinking of that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3305511;
    I don't know many 23 years old that smoke pot just this once. My feeling is that he does it often and his mistake was getting caught. I'm not for taking drugs and never smoked pot in my life, but I am a realist and know that there are things worse than that. I don't think he should feel like his life is ruined because of it.
    I knew some kids in college who smoked it ALL the time. And I had a few friends who smoked it maybe 3 or 4 times a year. About the same amount that they smoked cigars (though they never smoked cigarettes). So I do know people can be just dabblers. Whether he is or isn't, I'll never know. But if I was making $100 million in endorsements, I'd try to be really careful not to screw that up though.

I read somewhere else that he's debating whether he'll compete in the 2012 Olympics, because of this controversy. I don't think that should be a factor in his decision making. But I do think that he will be too old by then to compete at the level he did in 2008. (Pot or no pot...)
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 02-05-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Unfortunately, when you're someone who's in the public eye like he is and you're receiving multi million dollar endorsements, you are serving as a role model. And, like it or not, pot is still illegal.

I think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion 'cuz i don't think it's a big deal at all. Maybe for his sponsors, but that's about it really.

I know it's illegal, but I think his DUI a few years ago was a whole lot worse in terms of being a 'role model'. This, in comparison, is nothing.

People smoke pot all the time, that's the reality of things. However, I heard Phelps is kind of a "tool" in real life, so I don't really care what the consequences are Plus, he is a role model for a lot of young (and I mean YOUNG) kids out there--especially swimmers. And with all the things kids are taught about how drugs are bad, you can only imagine how they feel if their role model was caught on drugs (even though I don't think pot is that big of a deal). I think the main concern is over the reaction of his younger fans vs. his older ones. So yeah, I can kind of see where the strictness of all of this is coming from. But at the same time, I don't consider pot that big of a deal. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm indifferent to this whole thing.

As a person who would support the legalization of marijuana, I personally don't think it is terrible for the average person to use it occasionally. However, in this case we are talking about Michael Phelps. He is quite aware that he is a role model for many and if he wants to be a good role model for young people then he needs to hold himself to a higher standard. He seemed like a pretty smart guy in the interviews I have seen. My first thought when I heard this was why the heck was he doing this anywhere that someone could get a photo of him!? It seems completely idiotic that he would risk his swimming career over something like this.

I would agree that driving while under the influence (of any substance) is a much worse offense. That is risking the lives of yourself and everyone around you.

FORT Fogey

I think any fall out that he gets is good. Hopefully he will use it as an example to others as to why you do not do certain things.

Say if he looses an endorsement because of this, I would like to see him pass that during any type of speaking engagement that he is doing. He doesn't have to give names or details but take responsibility and turn it to a positive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast