+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Michael Phelps' Pot "Scandal"

FORT Regular

Re: Michael Phelps' Pot "Scandal"

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3309596;
    I heard his mother was really upset.
    If she'd hit the Bong, she'd feel better.
    The media needs to lighten up. It's no big deal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy4Knievel;3334554;
    If she'd hit the Bong, she'd feel better.
    The media needs to lighten up. It's no big deal imo.
    Totally agree with you. It's no big deal. Tell me he used cocaine or heroin or other hard drug, and I would write him off, too. I'd be curious to learn which of these media reporters have NOT smoked pot and more than once.

I don't believe mj should be illegal in the first place. We never seem to learn the lessons of prohibition. This is coming from someone who went to college in the 60's and did not participate. I was way too goody-two-shoes back then.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Well, I've never smoked pot and know quite a few people who haven't (although I know more who have! ), so clearly maybe some of the media have never smoked pot either. And if a member of the media had endorsement deals based on a wholesome image, my guess is that would be covered, too.

How is this the media's fault? For covering it? Unfortunately, this is news.

Personally, I don't think pot's that big of a deal. But as someone pointed out, he smoked at a party where everyone probably had a camera phone. I like money, so if my endorsement deal had a morality clause (like I'm guessing he has) that said I can't go around flashing my bits around or falling down drunk in public, I'd probably make every effort not to. While I don't think pot is a big deal, I also think it's not a big deal NOT to smoke it.

MRD

I think it all comes back to the fact that it is an ILLEGAL drug. Yeah, I think it should be legalized too, but until it is, it's AGAINST THE LAW. And someone like Phelps with the image he has and the endorsements he has, ran that risk when he chose to do something that he knew was illegal.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well put, MRD.

Michael smoking pot is not the worst thing that has ever happened, but he does have multi million dollar endorsement deals. What concerns me most is the message that is being sent out to a lot of young people if nothing is done. It seems that every day another athlete is being shown to be using some illegal drug, steroids, etc. If kids see an athlete "getting away with it", then it does, unfortunately, send out the wrong message to them. I happen to like Michael a lot, but he's already gotten his "get out of jail card free" for the DUI. This may not be the biggest deal out there, but Michael does need to be brought to task for it, unfortunately.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234