+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michael Phelps' Pot "Scandal"

FORT Fogey

Re: Michael Phelps' Pot "Scandal"

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3305544;
    My first thought on hearing this story was that it explains the mountains of chocolate-chip pancakes he reportedly ate while he was *training* for the Olympics.
    I thought the same thing!

I kind of feel bad for Michael Phelps in all of this. I do NOT think that he is a victim of any sort -- he reaps big benefits from his fame, appears to enjoy them, and he's the one who chooses his behavior. But I do think that perhaps partially unwittingly and partially wilingly, he's had a personna placed on him by the media. That personna was not created by him or promoted by him the way that it is with many celebrities, but rather was created by the media covering him. All he put out there was that he was a guy who could swim INCREDIBLY well, and was very dedicated to it. From there, the public created an image and ran with it. We decided for him that he was the all-American, mom and apple pie loving kid that we wanted toe hero of Team USA to be. I don't think the outrage in this story is over a 20-something celebrity smoking pot. Truly -- if you saw a picture showing Ashton Kutcher or Jon Mayer smoking pot, would you have the same reaction? The outrage is over MICHAEL PHELPS betraying the image that was thrust upon him (and also accepted and nurtured by him admittedly) by smoking pot.

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3306763;
    When does smoking marijuana become a problem for society to smoke? Would you want your surgeon smoking before surgery, a police officer, firefighter. You have to agree that smoking marijuana dulls the senses..mellow out (I remember that phrase). Phelps set himself out to be such a great role model and messed up, he has to take the consequences.
    I would not want my surgeon drinking before surgery, nor would I want a police officer or fire fighter (or pilot for that matter ... or cab driver) drinking on the job. However, when I see a picture of Paris Hilton with a martini in her hand, the part of that which outrages me is that people are publishing the picture of a girl famous for nothing ... not someone drinking.
    Last edited by Veruka; 02-06-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3307225;
    I thought the same thing!

I would not want my surgeon drinking before surgery, nor would I want a police officer or fire fighter (or pilot for that matter ... or cab driver) drinking on the job. However, when I see a picture of Paris Hilton with a martini in her hand, the part of that which outrages me is that people are publishing the picture of a girl famous for nothing ... not someone drinking.
    Which is why I do not feel any sympathy for any "celebrity" The person is choosing his/her behavior.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Even tho' illegal, I liken this to underaged drinking and drinking during the prohibition. He did the standard drug testing during the Olympics and passed so I feel they should have no say in anything. If he was smoking during the Olympics, can you imagine how fast he'd really be?

As a parent, I don't know that I would be proud of my child for getting a picture taken while smoking a bong, but at least he stepped up to the plate and admitted his folly. He lost at least one sponsor. (I bet the cereal is not used when someone has the munchies anyway-Cap'n Crunch would have been a better choice!) He will have another choice when he decides whether or not to go for another Olympics. I feel that's his decision.

I also feel that as soon as it becomes legal, watch out,...here I come again!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3306275;
    In today's digital age where every cell phone is a camera and you are a pretty famous person, do you not think that someone might take a photo of you when you are doing something you are not supposed to do?
    I have to go with you on this one. The pot smoking is not something that I found problematic,,,but the stupidity of doing it in a place where you can be photographed is the epitome of dumb.

I don't know if the use of the word FRIEND on the social networks to descibe anybody who crosses your path has caused these kids to think that everybody is actually a friend and can be trusted.
    In actuality anybody with a phone would screw you for a chance to sell the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3307522;
    I have to go with you on this one. The pot smoking is not something that I found problematic,,,but the stupidity of doing it in a place where you can be photographed is the epitome of dumb.

I don't know if the use of the word FRIEND on the social networks to descibe anybody who crosses your path has caused these kids to think that everybody is actually a friend and can be trusted.
    In actuality anybody with a phone would screw you for a chance to sell the picture.
    I am disappointed in Michael Phelps' poor judgement as well in thinking that at a house party he was "among friends". He'll get past this and will hopefully be a little wiser because of it.

MRD

All people are fallable. No one is perfect, yet we expect our sports stars and politicans and celebrities to be that way. We all make mistakes. Everyone of us has done something stupid and later thought: "dayum, I shouldn't have done THAT". Most of us don't experience this moment on Television and the newspapers where the entire world is going: "oh, yeah, he really shouldn't have done that". Most of us experience our mistakes privately or in very limited company.

He's still fairly young. Where I might have more of a problem is that he's 45, still getting high and racing around in a car at high speeds.

He'll learn and hopefully this isn't too hard a lesson that he's learned.

And one of the hardest things a young person has to learn is who your friends REALLY are. And people lie.
    Those are some of the hardest lessons in life when a "friend" betrays you. As a celebrity, he's learning the hard way that people want to be close to you because you are famous and then they will do stuff to make a buck off you and are not really your friend.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3308806;

And one of the hardest things a young person has to learn is who your friends REALLY are. And people lie.
    Those are some of the hardest lessons in life when a "friend" betrays you. As a celebrity, he's learning the hard way that people want to be close to you because you are famous and then they will do stuff to make a buck off you and are not really your friend.
    Well that has been true forever...that there are people who make their way into your life and do hurt you. I commented earlier that this "friend" thing seems to be generational. Add in the danger of the cell phone camera and everybody is fair game to be victimized

I've been a big fan of Michael's. I do realize that he is still pretty young and may continue to make some mistakes. I, too, am more concerned about the DUI than the pot smoking at a party. But, I do also understand the sponsors' point of view. It may seem harsh, but they are spending millions of dollars for a spokesman.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm wondering what his mother, the elementary school principal, is going through at work. Kids don't mind saying exactly what is on their minds, sometimes, and you know all of their parents are talking about it at home. Rough times.

I'm wondering if there has been a school assembly held, and if this incident has been used as a teaching tool. You certainly can't hide this under a rock.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I heard his mother was really upset.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast