+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2008-2009

Re: College Basketball 2008-2009

Report: Connecticut violated NCAA recruiting rules in pursuit of Nate Miles - ESPN

Connecticut potentially committed NCAA rules violations in its recruitment of former guard Nate Miles, Yahoo! Sports reported Wednesday.

The Web site reported that according to multiple sources, between 2006 and 2008, Miles was provided with lodging, transportation, restaurant meals and representation by Josh Nochimson, a former UConn student manager who had become a professional sports agent and formerly represented ex-Huskies star Richard Hamilton.

According to the report, one of UConn's assistants knew about the relationship between Nochimson and Miles as early as fall of 2006, and that phone records show UConn coaches made thousands of phone calls and text messages to Nochimson over the next two years.

The charges
    Among the infractions reported Wednesday by Yahoo! Sports:

One of UConn's assistants knew about the relationship between Nate Miles and Josh Nochimson, a former student manager turned sports agent, as fall of 2006. Phone records show UConn coaches may have exceeded limits on phone calls and text messages to Miles and others close to him. In December 2006, for example, former UConn assistant coach Tom Moore made 27 calls to Miles' guardian and a person Miles referred to as an uncle as well as three calls to Miles. The limit is one.

Under NCAA regulations, Nochimson is deemed a representative of UConn's athletic interests because of his connection to the basketball program. Therefore, he was barred from recruiting Miles, from contacting Miles or his family, or from providing anything of value to Miles.

The program may also have exceeded the number of phone calls allowed to Miles under NCAA regulations during its recruiting, Yahoo! Sports reported, citing phone records obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.

The NCAA allows a single phone call per month to a prospect or his family in a player's junior year of high school. Yahoo! Sports reported that according to records, UConn coaches exceeded that limit over several months in 2006 and 2007 in the program's recruitment of Miles. In December of 2006 alone, former UConn assistant coach Tom Moore made 27 calls to Miles' guardian and a person Miles referred to as an uncle as well as three calls to Miles.

The Web site also reported that Moore, currently the coach at Quinnipiac, made Nochimson aware that UConn was recruiting Miles and that he knew Nochimson and Miles had talked.

According to records obtained by Yahoo! Sports, over a two-year period, five different UConn coaches traded at least 1,565 phone and text messages with Nochimson, including 16 from coach Jim Calhoun.

UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway and Calhoun declined comment through a university spokesperson, according to the report. Nochimson also declined comment.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Fred Beckham
    Former UConn assistant Tom Moore, kneeling at center, reportedly was aware a former UConn student manager turned professional agent had a relationship with Huskies recruit Nate Miles, in violation of NCAA rules.
    Miles, who was expelled from UConn this fall after being accused of assaulting a female student and violating a restraining order by calling her minutes after the order was issued, is now at the College of Southern Idaho, a junior college.

ESPN.com's Andy Katz reported that according to a source with direct knowledge of NCAA procedures, based on the level of detail in the Yahoo! Sports report, the NCAA is expected to look into the allegations. According to the source, the decision on how to proceed should come quickly, possibly within the next 24 hours. But the following investigation could take months.

The NCAA will likely focus on the amount of telephone calls made and whether the school knew that Miles had a relationship with a registered agent, and if they knew, to what degree, the source said. Kelvin Sampson's case of impermissible phone calls at Indiana brought about a tweaking in an NCAA bylaw that may apply, according to a source. There is now a potential violation that details a lack of "coach control." The coach, according to the source, is obligated to create an atmosphere of compliance.

UConn is expected to release a statement later Wednesday from the West Regional in Glendale, Ariz., where the Huskies will play Purdue in the Sweet 16. According to a source close to UConn, the school will likely say that it was fully aware of the report -- as the school released the phone records to Yahoo! Sports -- but would not comment further at the time, Katz reported.

UConn is expected to take the approach that it will defend itself to the NCAA, rather than sound off publicly, despite public opinion that would likely work against it as an investigation unfolds. UConn is also expected to defend the nature of the calls to Nochimson, in particular claiming that at least one of the lengthy calls made by Calhoun -- a 58-minute call in 2007, while Miles was attending Calhoun's summer basketball camp -- was about Hamilton, not Miles.

UConn has a regularly-scheduled news conference expected to be held at or after 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

According to the Yahoo! Sports report, player agents have increasingly become involved in players' lives while they are still amateurs, in the hopes they can land them as NBA clients when they turn pro. The trend has grown to agents steering players to specific schools, with college coaches reciprocating by delivering the player back to the agent when he decides to turn pro.

"We're concerned in terms of agents steering certain kids to certain [schools]," Rachel Newman Baker, the NCAA's director of agent, gambling and amateurism activity, told Yahoo! Sports. "We're concerned about agreements under the table between agents and even our college coaches."

In 2006, Moore was in Chicago watching Miles at a prep tournament when he told his former student manager, Nochimson, who was there to scout potential future clients, that UConn was recruiting the 6-foot-7 shooting guard. By that evening, Miles said he had met Nochimson, according to the report.

The fact that Moore knew Nochimson and Miles were talking was an NCAA violation, according to the report. Asked if he had lost sight of the fact that Nochimson was also a representative of UConn's athletic interests under NCAA rules, Moore said "Probably. I looked at him as a young professional working as an agent, doing what he does in his career."

Miles gave conflicting statements about his relationship with Nochimson, according to the report. After at first saying he'd never heard of Nochimson, Miles said he had been his adviser. But he denied that Nochimson had ever provided him with meals or other benefits. When asked if Nochimson had arranged for him to attend IMG's Basketball Academy and Pro Training Center in Bradenton, Fla. -- which the center's director, Mike Moreau, confirmed was the case to Yahoo! Sports -- Miles ended the interview.

Nochimson has moved to decertify himself as an agent after Hamilton fired him and accused him of stealing more than $1 million from him, according to the report.

Since Miles didn't play a game for UConn -- he was expelled before preseason practice began -- there is no chance for forfeiture of games, meaning that the Huskies' pursuit of the 2009 national title should not be affected. The Huskies' 2008-09 season records also include Calhoun's 800th career victory.

Meanwhile, Quinnipiac must wait to see how Moore may be affected and how the school might respond. The alleged violations happened while Moore was a UConn assistant, and according to a source, Quinnipiac would not have access to an investigation while it is underway.

A call to Moore wasn't returned Wednesday, Katz reported.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

From today's Hartford Courant:

Statement From UConn -- Courant.com

Statement From UConn
    The Hartford Courant
    March 25, 2009
    On behalf of the university, UConn assistant athletic director/communications Kyle Muncy released a brief statement in response to the Yahoo story:

The University of Connecticut received a Freedom of Information Act Request from Yahoo Sports during the fall. That request was acted upon in a series of communications with Yahoo culminating in complete disclosure of all requests.

When the University began its recruitment of the student-athlete named in the article, it utilized the University's outside counsel on NCAA related matters who worked collaboratively with the NCAA staff to examine all aspects of his amateur status, as is expected under NCAA rules. The NCAA's Eligibility Center reviewed all information that it had concerning the student-athlete's eligibility status and determined that he was eligible for his freshman year. The student-athlete departed from the University before ever participating in athletics competition.

The story printed today includes no current student-athletes and no student-athlete who has ever competed for the institution. The University's men's basketball team and its coaches are working today to prepare for its upcoming game tomorrow night. University outside counsel and administrators are continuing to review the article to determine if additional action is required.

The University takes very seriously its responsibilities of NCAA membership and will do all that is expected to follow up on any information related to possible NCAA rules violations.

They're going to get whacked.
    Down the middle drops one more grain of sand.
    They say that new life makes losing life easier to understand.
    Words are kind, they helped ease the mind. I'll miss my old friend.
    And though you gotta go, we'll keep a piece of your soul.
    One goes out, One comes in.

I'm not sure I buy the argument that he is no longer there as valid. Bottom line seems to be they did recruit him, only to expell him at a later date. But that doesn't alter the fact that they went after him in the first place.

The timing of this is a shame, though, because I'd hate to have it take a toll on the current team in their NCAA bid.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by Adult Beverage;3392540;
    They're going to get whacked.
    Who is going to get wacked?

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3392566;
    I'm not sure I buy the argument that he is no longer there as valid. Bottom line seems to be they did recruit him, only to expell him at a later date. But that doesn't alter the fact that they went after him in the first place.

The timing of this is a shame, though, because I'd hate to have it take a toll on the current team in their NCAA bid.
    Since he never played on the team it won't affect any of the games that they've played.
    Last edited by Bunny555; 03-26-2009 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3393505;
    Who is going to get wacked?

Since he never played on the team it won't affect any of the games that they've played.
    Oh, I agree with that - no vacating of wins and so on. But, there may be sanctions coming against the program altogether.
    I cater to the Regs!

I was shocked at how poorly Louisville played, and the ease with which Michigan State won. The whole game was rather ugly (I thought).
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3396498;
    I was shocked at how poorly Louisville played, and the ease with which Michigan State won. The whole game was rather ugly (I thought).
    I thought it was a spectacular game.

Go MICHIGAN STATE!

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I'm cheering for Michigan State too! Woo!!
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3396498;
    But my Spartans played ohhhhhh so purdy!

To be honest, I didn't give us much hope of winning this game. I thought we were going to be manhandled something fierce by Louisville's press. But MAN... just the opposite!

Even still, I didn't breathe until probably 3 minutes left in the game. We were up by 17 and I still couldn't feel comfortable.. that's how dangerous Louisville is. I give our defense all of the credit in the world for making Louisville look as discombobulated as they did all game.

My ex is a major UConn fan.. and I adopted them as my local team when I lived out there. But now it's game on... and I'm trying to think of a good bet.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast