+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Us Open Tennis

2008 Us Open Tennis

I was surprised to see that no one had started this thread. Am I the only one watching and/or interested in this year's Open?

One of the surprises for me is the number of women players who are out of shape. Some even have fat rolls. How can anyone expect to excell at a sport when they can't even be bothered to be in top or even reasonably good shape? Is this more of the "me" generation syndrome, where large returns are expected for minimum effort?

The men in contrast seem to understand the importance of this and look great.

FORT Fogey

Re: 2008 Us Open Tennis

Which women do you consider having fat rolls?

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3183013;
    Which women do you consider having fat rolls?
    I missed the name, but she lost today to a woman in her 30's. I know TV puts pounds on too, but Serena looks at least 30-40 lbs over weight.

I was disgusted with the way Roddick broke his racket. Hardly a sensible response to being outplayed by a young player.

FORT Fogey

Serena is certainly big, but I don't think that I'd classify the layers of muscle she's got on her body as "fat rolls". She's been in better shape in her lifetime, but in comparison to your typical woman, she's definitely in outstanding shape.

I will never take issue with a player throwing a racquet to vent frustration as long as it doens't get out of hand, and with Roddick, it didn't. In fact, Roddick vented very effectively. He recognized what losing that game meant to him in the match. He got it out, moved past it mentally, broke back, broke again winning the set, and it put him in position to go on and win the match.

Compare that display of a mental game to what Lindsay Davenport did before him. She threw a racquet or two as wel, although more gentle and more to display her frustration instead of getting it out. She utterly lost her serve, let that play on her mentally, fearing that every serve would be a double fault instead of breaking through it, and lost the match.

I will always be more impressed with the players who can mentally play through a moment of frustration than I will those who get stuck in it.

I'm watching dberk. *hi*

In fact, I'm watching a great match right now: Querry (an unseeded American) is currently beating #14 ranked Karlovic. Both sets have gone to tiebreaks; great game to watch!

FORT Fogey

After hte discussion here about Serena Williams' fitness, I was intrigued to hear the CBS commentators talking about her during her match today. They were all marvelling about what outstanding shape she is in, and how one of the points of discussion that seems to be consistent around the grounds of the Billie Jean King Center this year is how fit and in shape Serena is.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3184075;
    After hte discussion here about Serena Williams' fitness, I was intrigued to hear the CBS commentators talking about her during her match today. They were all marvelling about what outstanding shape she is in, and how one of the points of discussion that seems to be consistent around the grounds of the Billie Jean King Center this year is how fit and in shape Serena is.
    Her arms are muscular to the point of being manish, but I'm shocked that they would say that she looks in shape. She is a big girl to begin with, but when she's fat; she's fat, but I love her new tennis outfit.

Lindsay was a major disappointment. She has been a pro tennis player for many years and although her knee has kept her from the game a lot lately, that was said to be OK now. She was soundly beaten by a woman that uses 2 hands for both her fore and backhand. What's up with that. Her reach should have been a big hole in her game and easily exploited by another top player and Lindsay could do nothing. She was said to be in good shape and yet she barely tried for any shot that wasn't within her immediate reach. She needs to retire and raise her son, if she can't put anymore effort into a match than she showed in her last one.

Roddick pulled it together, but he mostly won because his opponent wasn't able to keep up the level of tennis that he started with. I was impressed that Andy said afterward that the guy outplayed him completely in the first 2 sets. He said it made him feel like a kid out there and that explains why he acted like one, I guess. It was interesting that they both played over into their birthdays - although I wasn't thrilled to stay up that late.

It's been good to see some of the top players really challenged and thrown for a loop at the beginning of their matches. It adds to the excitement and opens the door to possible upsets.

Most of the tennis players are names I can not pronounce or remember. Oh, for the good ole days of Agassi, Sampras, Chang, Currier... but enough bitching. I'll just have to watch more tennis to learn the newer players - no hardship there.

FORT Fogey

Chris Evert had a two-haded forehand, didn't she?

No one expected Lindsay Davenport to make it this far, so I'm rather impressed that she played as well as she has after having her son. Since she came back, she's said her entire focus and all her goals have centered around being back for the US Open. Once it started, she said her focus was just one match at a time to see how long she could stay in. She accomplished her goals, and i htink that's pretty impressive.

Lindsay hasn't competed much in over a year. She did very well considering. Serena is just a big girl. If she was fat and out of shape, she wouldn't be able to run around the court the way she does.

They just showed a special thing about the first US Open in 1968, when pros and amateurs all competed. I'll admit I teared up seeing clips of Arthur play and win the championship. He was always one of my favorites.

Nice to see Federer playing a bit better, although he certainly didn't play someone who gave him much of a challenge. Roddick looked good today, with the exception of that third set. I'm glad he was able to close it out in the tie-break.

I'm excited to have two days off (today and tomorrow), so I can just watch tennis....and, you know, clean the house (maybe)
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think dusting the TV so you get a better picture constitutes cleaning the house, Critical.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast