+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Us Open Tennis

Re: 2008 Us Open Tennis

I've never been a big fan of the Williams sisters, but I can't fathom calling Serena fat. She has a completely different body type from Venus' and though she is larger than the stick figures some people consider aesthetically pleasing these days, I think she's in great shape. I would guess that if she lost enough weight to conform to today's look, her game would suffer. Her body is not meant to be that thin.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

I have a Serena story! A few years ago, my son and I were taking a red eye from LAX to Toronto. Serena Williams was on the flight along with several other young tennis players. They were on their way to some cup type tournament in Toronto.
    It was announced that the flight was delayed over one hour and at 12:30AM NO ONE likes to hear THAT!

Well, Serena was sitting near the boarding gate and got up to walk around and stretch her legs, when some of the young tennis players saw her and politely asked her for her autograph. She was on her cell ph and told the person that she was talking to "I'll call you back. I need to talk to some people".

She stood there and signed autographs and posed for pictures with these "fans". Later she was on her cell and a few other people asked for autographs and she asked them to wait until she finished her call. (totally understandable).

She did have one person traveling with her, but she was NOT a Diva at all. Even at 1am on a delayed flight she was nice.

Thanks for the great story, pugmum!

I think Serena is a beautiful woman, but while she is naturally a big girl she can also at this time benefit from losing 30-40 lbs. As a fashion minded person I doubt this has escaped her notice. She is probably very conscience of the increase in size when she gets fitted for her tennis outfits. While I was surprised at her weight gain (including paunch) it isn't outrageous like some of the others.

I'm fat so I have no delusions about the Barbie complex, but my weight issues are due to a medicinal side affect and I'm not making a living as a professional athlete. I can't be sympathetic to these women that lose when they clearly aren't interested in working to improve their game.

Did Fish just play fabulously well or did Blake check out of the match before it even started? He seemed almost disinterested most of the time to me.

Doesn't N Djokovic have wonderful hair that looks like a mink pelt? I wish his parents had been more encouraging in the stands instead of sour and even angry when he had trouble with the other player. Once he won of course they were all smiles. Maybe he wishes he had been raised by mink.

I have to stop posting this late at night when I'm so negative about everything. At least I hope it's the late hour.

Good Night

Hey.......... have people stopped watching????

Awesome match the last two days between Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray. Murray took the match 3 sets to 1... incredible, incredible tennis, including the 22 point game in the 3rd, wasn't it (or wait.. it was the 2nd game in the 4th, yes? My mind is now mush)?

I also caught the last set of tennis between Serena and Jelena tonight. Both women are in insane shape, different as their bodies may be. And it's still surprising to me that this is Jankovic's first grand slam final.

Federer/Murray at 5pm Monday night.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Congrats to Serena on her victory! I was flipping channels between the VMA Awards and the US Open final, but I watched the moment she won the championship. I loved seeing her throw her racket in the air in sheer joy and excitement, though maybe she celebrated a little too much in front of Jankovic. But of course, she apologized to Jankovic just in case Jankovic saw her reaction as just a way to rub it in, so that was good.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

I absolutley loved seeing all the times they showed Jankovic looking up at watching herself on the jumbotron -- especially when they said she saw herself, and then adjusted her hair in response. It just gives her a fun human element. It's funny the way that different players respond to it differently -- Murray asked that it be turned off for his match because it distracts him to see himself ... and Jankovic is inspired by it.

It's fun to see some new faces in the final, and just to see how they respond to the experience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12