+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

MRD

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

I was in New Dehli, India in 1984 and they were getting ready to host the Pan
    American Games and our hosts took us around and showed us all the new stadiums and housing for the athletes and bragged over how wonderful it was. On the way back to where we stayed, we passed a park where hundreds of India's homeless sleep. It was packed. The entire time we were there, I was horrified at the abject poverty and the clash of money being spent on sports complexes while children were begging in the streets.
    So I kind of felt that way about the BILLIONS that China has spent getting ready for the Olympics, not just the 100 million on the opening ceremonies.
    Which I did enjoy, but it still seems like so much money is spent on stuff that could be put to better use elsewhere.

However, China and other countries that host, do recoup some of that money in tourist dollars spent.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Unfortunately the money recooped will not go to help those that need it most. A great point about all the other money that's been spent so far too.

FORT Fogey

talking about the age again, that kid that walked with Yao is 9yrs old, i thought he was 4. so i guess those gymnasts might actually be older than we give them.

somehow, i liked Athen opening better. but china takes the cake for best torch lighting, i was just wowed when he started running around the stadium to light it. ingenious idea!!!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3162074;
    talking about the age again, that kid that walked with Yao is 9yrs old, i thought he was 4. so i guess those gymnasts might actually be older than we give them.

somehow, i liked Athen opening better. but china takes the cake for best torch lighting, i was just wowed when he started running around the stadium to light it. ingenious idea!!!
    But remember Yao is ike 7 foot something.. makes him look smaller
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fogey

yeah, that too. i think i will also look like a baby next to him

El Presidente is sitting talking to Bobbie Costas right as I type this, talking about China.

Eek. Maybe it will be posted on NBCOlympics.com

Talk has gone on to Georgia.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Am I the only one who can't really see syncronized swimming and diving as a sport? To me it's more like a show!

And am I the only one who finds music in gymnastics quite distracting especially since the gymnasts aren't on beat most of the time and they're not choreographing their movements to the music?

And does anyone else agree with me that instead of calling it "Women's gymnastics" it should be called "Girl's Gymnastics"?

Premium Member

It should be called Child's gymnastics, some of these ladies are like 12, 13 years old. YIKES.

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3162361;
    It should be called Child's gymnastics, some of these ladies are like 12, 13 years old. YIKES.
    Maybe they should be in the Junior Olympics?

I am sorry those girls on the Chinese Gymnastic team are not 16 yrs old. I will never believe it.

+ Reply to Thread