+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

And that's it. The Games are over.

Some things are still continuing (like the age controversy), but the Games are offcially done. I'm gonna miss spending long days and long nights watching the events. Personal favorites: volleyball (both versions), swimming, and gymnastics.

Speaking of volleyball, it was great seeing the men's volleyball team win gold, especially after the team had to endure the tragedy of the death of their coach's father-in-law. This win will be remembered for the ages.

I preferred the Opening Ceremonies to the Closing Ceremonies, but it was still watchable. Nothing too horrendous and nothing too boring.

Now I'll just wait 'til 2010 comes around for the Vancouver Winter Olympics. And there's a chance I can actually go there when the Olympics are going on!

And if I could add something else to the China's age debacle: I was watching the finals for team rhythmic gymnastics, and not one of them looked underage. Even though the youngest of the team is 18 (meaning there are no supposed "16 year old" girls like with artistic gymnastics), not one of them looked any younger.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 08-25-2008 at 02:24 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3175900;
    Ok, watching the Leona Lewis/Jimmy Page song. Does anyone else think it was a hot mess? I did not like it at all.
    I was just sad that Jimmy Page looked so old. I used to have posters of him and his beautiful black hair all over my dorm room walls
    CYA

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3176134;
    I was just sad that Jimmy Page looked so old. I used to have posters of him and his beautiful black hair all over my dorm room walls

I was coming here to post the SAME thing. He came out (or up I guess) and I said: "When did he get so old?" and my husband (the smart alec) says: "at the same time you did I would guess".
    I also lamented the loss of that beautiful black hair.

But that said, it was a horrible segment and she did a horrible job on that song. The lip synching was terrible.
    I ended up going to bed early and missed Placido Domingo.
    I wasn't as thrilled with the closing ceremonies. Some of it was cool. I like the bicycles or unicyles because they were one wheel, one BIG wheel. They were cool all lit up.

My 17 year old daughter came in and sat down during the beginning part and asked why they had big wheels of Gouda cheese flying over the stadium.

I'm sad the games are over with too, but I now have a DVR rull of episodes of other shows that I missed while watching all the Olympic coverage, so need to get caught up on that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3176134;
    I tought Page looked great.. that look works for him.. However the duet did not. That WAS a hot mess like was said already. That whole thing for London was half-a**ed.

I felt that the closing was blah.. i was not in to it at all. and my 7 year old said the same thing MRD.. she was dancing all about for the 'big cheese' and my lord, she was even more excited (my self i was confused) when she saw the second one that they panned out to show.

They out did themselves with the opening, but this was very blah, after the countdown from 9-1 in fireworks.. it went downhill for me.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I also went to bed early. It was a little bit much over touted to me. I hated the duet-I've never heard her before-what type of music does she normally sing? I loved the opening, but was meh about the closing. Can't wait until 2010!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

She's a Simon Cowell find from England...I think an "American Idol"-type winner from the U.K. She's got a good pop song hit in "Bleeding Love," but she does not have the chops to handle Led Zeppelin... and in a "meow" comment...the dress was very unflattering. It made her knees look too large! And she is not a large woman at all!

I just read that Misty May-Treanor is going to compete on "Dancing With the Stars."

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3176222;
    She's a Simon Cowell find from England...I think an "American Idol"-type winner from the U.K. She's got a good pop song hit in "Bleeding Love," but she does not have the chops to handle Led Zeppelin... and in a "meow" comment...the dress was very unflattering. It made her knees look too large! And she is not a large woman at all!

I just read that Misty May-Treanor is going to compete on "Dancing With the Stars."
    LOL, I hope she does better than her "Great Wall" dance. I still lvoe Misty tho
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Did anyone see the Michael Phelps segment in London at the Closing Ceremonies? What the heck was that all about? I guess his people made an arrangement for him to do it but it seemed so out of place and stupid. He also sounded like he had a cold or a sore throat. I don't know--it seems like it would've been more fun for him to enjoy the Closing Ceremonies with everyone else...but maybe he didn't want to? I know a bunch of Olympians are supposed to be on Leno and Conan this week, including him...

FORT Fogey

seriously after the aweful cheesy london intro, the whole closing lost its edge.

Isn't it sad that the gov't would do this and those poor girls are forced to go along with it... not to mention that most of them are recruited at ridiculously young ages and forced into rigorous 'elite' training, most at least five years before other countries and their coaches even consider allowing girls to train at that demanding, overwhelming level.
    i guess, different country, diffrent culture, different ways of life.

I frankly thought the closing was meh. It was too long and not enough of the hard working athletes. I wanted to see the athletes enjoying themselves not this ish that was put on.

+ Reply to Thread