+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1252535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Since China's focus was all about gold I am sure those who won anything less will disappear into obscurity. Good Job USA!

I missed the opening ceremony so I am thrilled to be watching the closing one. I hope it will be just as spectacular.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3173533;
    Regarding the age issue in gymnastics - I think this should have been settled before the Games. How long did people know which contestants would make up the Chinese team? I'm sure it was a while before the Games started. If the IOC/Gymnastics Federation didn't see fit to investigate before, or if they did and accepted the identity documents they were shown, then that should be enough. I don't think the gymnasts should be stripped of their medals at this point. It's not like it is a case of something happening during the actual competition and the IOC having to step in to correct the event (a la Sale and Pelletier). If they do investigate and find out that the Chinese government/sports authorities did collude to falsify documents, then I think the Chiense should be banned from competing for a set period. I still don't think the Chinese gymnasts should be stripped of their medals. They competed and did their best and deserve to keep the medals they won.
    I agree that the Chinese should be banned from competition for a designated period if it is found that they cheated. But I disagree about whether or not the medals should be stripped. Presumably, the athletes are aware of the age requirements and if they competed when they were in clear violation of the rules, the medals should be taken. Cheating is cheating, and it's an important lesson for both the governments and the athletes that cheating will not be tolerated.

I agree that this should have been checked out more thoroughly before the Games, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time medals were taken away when cheating was discovered after the fact.

Just my $.02.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

If they do find that there was some dishonesty.. i doubt that it would be resolved even before London's game.. Jones had her medals taken 7 years later.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Ok, watching the Leona Lewis/Jimmy Page song. Does anyone else think it was a hot mess? I did not like it at all.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

No one should attempt to cover Led Zeppelin...especially her. I thought the whole London segment was cheesy and amateurish...especially compared to what the Chinese conjured up for their farewell party.

I liked the operatic duet between Placido and the Chinese singer much better. I wasn't too big a fan of the Chinese pop stars songs either...but it was a hoot to see Jackie Chan pop up to sing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3175941;
    No one should attempt to cover Led Zeppelin...especially her. I thought the whole London segment was cheesy and amateurish...especially compared to what the Chinese conjured up for their farewell party.

I liked the operatic duet between Placido and the Chinese singer much better. I wasn't too big a fan of the Chinese pop stars songs either...but it was a hoot to see Jackie Chan pop up to sing!
    Conjured up is accurate. I wonder how many ugly people they turned away and any fake fireworks?

I've never posted an entire article (please help!) but here is the clear evidence proving that china falsified documents to allow He (chinese gymnast) to compete. Of course, I'm sure the Chinese will continue to deny the accusations and nothing will ever be done about them breaking the rules but here is the proof, for what it is worth:
    source : David Flumenbaum: Scandal of the Ages: Documents Reveal Underage Chinese Gymnast

Isn't it sad that the gov't would do this and those poor girls are forced to go along with it... not to mention that most of them are recruited at ridiculously young ages and forced into rigorous 'elite' training, most at least five years before other countries and their coaches even consider allowing girls to train at that demanding, overwhelming level.

Gosh. I've been looking for info on the whole 'child of light' thing. Except, i've no where to begin. Is there a child for every olympics event? Both opening and closing events?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3175900;
    Ok, watching the Leona Lewis/Jimmy Page song. Does anyone else think it was a hot mess? I did not like it at all.
    It was awful! When I heard Leona Lewis was going to perform, I was already very skeptical about it, but as soon as she began it was just dreadful. The lipsynching couldn't have been anymore obvious either.

I did like seeing Beckham, but he wasn't really there for much other than to represent UK as their most famous athlete.

I was disappointed in Zhang Yimou's choices in musicians. Jackie Chan and Andy Lau made sense, but Kelly Chen and Karen Mok? Nice to see Emil Chow back and it was interesting that they had Rain, who's a Korean popstar there.

Love the montage! Its actually one of my favorite things to conclude the Olympics!

+ Reply to Thread