+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 949505152535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

MRD

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3174928;
    I tried to watch the race walking without laughing and I couldn't. The rythmic Gymnastics I like. The syncronized swimming not so much or as my boyfriend calls it water dancing.lol
    My husband said that racewalking reminded him of me when I have to go to the restroom really bad.

I've watched racewalking, I've watched badmitton and I can honestly say I dont' like them.
    I not a wrestling fan or martial arts fan, but I see they have a place in the games. The cool thing about the Olympics is that there is a sport for everyone's taste and if there's one you dont' like, there's always another one coming up that you might.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed these Summer Olympics. I don't know how many days I dragged to work because I'd been up too late the night before! With only the most basic cable, I have been limited to only NBC. There are things I think they could have done better covering but, all in all, I've been happy with what has been on. I thought the opening ceremonies were beautiful. I'm in love with the entire US men's swim team. I wish I was physically fit enough to join a row team. Beach volleyball in the rain was a blast to watch. I found atheletes from other countries to root for (like the Australian diver who took gold this evening ...yea!). Fencing ....hmmm, no. I'm with you myrosiedog, there was a sport for every one. I even enjoyed watching the marathons because you got to see some of the sites of Beijing. I thought most of Mary Carillo's local human interest stories were terrific. I'm looking forward to watching the closing ceremonies and will be sad to see the Olympics end. Can't wait for Winter 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3174941;
    My husband said that racewalking reminded him of me when I have to go to the restroom really bad.

I've watched racewalking, I've watched badmitton and I can honestly say I dont' like them.
    I not a wrestling fan or martial arts fan, but I see they have a place in the games. The cool thing about the Olympics is that there is a sport for everyone's taste and if there's one you dont' like, there's always another one coming up that you might.
    I did attempt to explain why the syncro is considered swimming but he just didn't get it. My explaining was met with laughter. The silly man now wants to know when they are going to add couch races so he can compete and medal.lol

Luved watching the men's platform diving tonight and the shocker of an ending with the Australian winning.

Wow on the men's marathon as it was superfast and I thought more would crash and burn because of the heat.

Still I think my brain is fired from being over Olympicfied.

Oh, Bob Costas was interviewing the President of the IOC in regards to the gymnastics underage scandal and he replied that the IOC does not have authority ove the FIG which regulates the ages and standards of international gymnastics. Basically, the IOC will honor whatever the results of the FIG investigation are, or if the FIG chooses not to upset the Chinese so be it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3174178;
    I am watching the medal ceremony online for Women's Basketball right now. It is cool to be able to see all the pageantry missed on the network broadcasts. And to see every member of each team introduced and awarded their medals.
    I wasn't interested in watching any of the basketball games (men's or women's), but was glad to watch the women get their medals. Congrats to them. It was really great watching them belt out our National Anthem without restraint.

I know some of you are mad about the coverage of the games, but it has been almost perfect for me. I got to see all of the key sports I was interested in and just the high points of everything I didn't want to see everything about. I really came away feeling as though I had had the complete Olympic experience. Maybe too much diving and running, but it wasn't intolerable.

I love rythmic gymnastics and was worried that I'd missed them, but was happy to catch them on this afternoon. It's far more beautiful than regular gymnastics which is more about power and strength.

On the other hand, syncronized swimming I can only take in small doses. Fortunately that is all they gave us today and the Russian women were fabulous!

Syncronized diving is the only sport that I would like to see eliminated. It may just be the dumbest excuse for a sport I've ever heard of. I love watching the horses and they didn't cover the equestrian events much. As a rider I wouldn't want to risk my horse in transit like they do.

I agree about the unlikelihood that anything will come of the Chinese underage rule breaking. At this point I'm glad. By making it such a big issue we have pissed off the Chinese gov't and put them on notice that the world expects more than just superficial changes in China.

I was surprised that the tae kwon do family wasn't shown competeing, but wasn't most of the boxing/wrestling/specialty fighting featured on MTV?
    Last edited by dberk; 08-24-2008 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;3175098;
    I wasn't interested in watching any of the basketball games (men's or women's), but was glad to watch the women get their medals. Congrats to them. It was really great watching them belt out our National Anthem without restraint.

I know some of you are mad about the coverage of the games, but it has been almost perfect for me. I got to see all of the key sports I was interested in and just the high points of everything I didn't want to see everything about. I really came away feeling as though I had had the complete Olympic experience. Maybe too much diving and running, but it wasn't intolerable.

I love rythmic gymnastics and was worried that I'd missed them, but was happy to catch them on this afternoon. It's far more beautiful than regular gymnastics which is more about power and strength.

On the other hand, syncronized swimming I can only take in small doses. Fortunately that is all they gave us today and the Russian women were fabulous!

Syncronized diving is the only sport that I would like to see eliminated. It may just be the dumbest excuse for a sport I've ever heard of. I love watching the horses and they didn't cover the equestrian events much. As a rider I wouldn't want to risk my horse in transit like they do.

I agree about the unlikelihood that anything will come of the Chinese underage rule breaking. At this point I'm glad. By making it such a big issue we have pissed off the Chinese gov't and put them on notice that the world expects more than just superficial changes in China.

I was surprised that the tae kwon do family wasn't shown competeing, but wasn't most of the boxing/wrestling/specialty fighting featured on MTV?
    dberk, you must have been watching Real World by mistake.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Thanks for posting that article, Lois Lane. So touching. I've always been a fan of Sammy Lee. We used to see him pretty regularly at the theater: he had season tickets to the same performing arts center as my family. He still looked just the same and is such a class act.

My mother was mentioning tonight that she read an article that gave an easy solution to the whole gymnastics age controversy. All they have to do to determine the real age of those girls is to x-ray them. Based on the bone growth and various measurements, they can determine someone's age to within a few months. They don't even have to go through all this stuff with falsified passports and cached web pages. Just x-ray the lot of them and be done with it!

ETA: The US Men's Volleyball team is currently up 2 games to 1 in the gold medal match against Brazil. Of course, NBC isn't showing it, so I'm having to follow the scores online
    Last edited by Critical; 08-24-2008 at 01:41 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

^Considered me spoiled. I was gonna wait 'til the game aired on TV, but now I know half of the results. But it's already going on, so isn't it fair game to talk about in here?

But anyway, I loved watching the 4x100 relays of the men and women. Sanya Richard's anchor run was so Jason Lezak-esque. That was great to watch. So great, I might even call it the best track & field final that I watched in these games.

As for the diving, I accidentally spoiled myself before it aired on TV, so the shock factor wasn't there when I was watching it. But wow, congrats to Matt for winning the gold! He'll forever be known as the guy who kept the Chinese from going 8 for 8. But also, he has won AUS their first diving medal since 1924, and I think that's a greater achievement. Oh, and I loved what the lady said to him after he officially found out he won: "Matt, congratulations! You've just won the Olympics!"

Is anyone else going to commentate on the basketball game in here while it's going on? Cause I would since it's actually airing live here on the West Coast (TV shows never air live here, so I'm excited), but I wouldn't want to commentate on the game alone.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 08-24-2008 at 02:23 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Oh geez, I shouldn't have gone on Yahoo. Right on the front page, it has the words (and I'll put this in tags for those fortunate enough to not see it)
    Click to see Spoiler:
    "The U.S. men's volleyball team tries to overcome an unthinkable act of murder to win gold."
    -_- Thanks Yahoo, for spoiling those who wait to see the games on TV.

But anyway, the Redeem Team is beating Spain so far, so that's good.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

For the life of me I can't fathom why the men's basketball final is on so late. Since they've been touting them as the redeem team, you'd think the game would be scheduled a bit earlier in the night.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread