+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 74748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

FORT Fogey

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3173594;
    And I don't like it when they show entire basketball games on Olympic coverage and ignore the sports with less exposure. To me seeing a bunch of professional basketball players playing is no different than any other basketball game you can see during the regular season. But that is just my opinion
    I disagree. To me, its the only opportunity we ever get to see a collection of the very best of the NBA teamed together rather than spread across multiple teams, playing with all their heart. I don't count the All-Star game, because its exhibition and its for show. This means more to the players, so you're getting the very best doing their very best. That, along with the fact that these guys learned 4 years ago that they ARE beatable, and the 3 year commitment they had to make to getting back on top ... mixed in with my undying love for LeBron James ... has made the games very enjoyable to watch for me.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Did you guys see a segment a few days ago where they said that Kobe can speak Italian and Spanish? I've got to admit, watching him doing an interview in Italian impressed me. I still don't love him, but who knew?

FORT Fogey

didn't they say he grew up in italy?

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3173533;
    Regarding the age issue in gymnastics - I think this should have been settled before the Games. How long did people know which contestants would make up the Chinese team? I'm sure it was a while before the Games started. If the IOC/Gymnastics Federation didn't see fit to investigate before, or if they did and accepted the identity documents they were shown, then that should be enough. I don't think the gymnasts should be stripped of their medals at this point. It's not like it is a case of something happening during the actual competition and the IOC having to step in to correct the event (a la Sale and Pelletier). If they do investigate and find out that the Chinese government/sports authorities did collude to falsify documents, then I think the Chiense should be banned from competing for a set period. I still don't think the Chinese gymnasts should be stripped of their medals. They competed and did their best and deserve to keep the medals they won.

I disagree, the gold metal is ALL the China govt cared about.. they dont care about the people that won them. Where as I do feel bad for the girls, it's only fair in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3173646;
    didn't they say he grew up in italy?
    Yes, he was born in Philly and moved when he was 6
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3173263;

Michael Phelps & Stephanie Rice: Just Friends? - Olympics Summer 2008, Michael Phelps : People.com

He may be winging his way to London for the Sunday hand-off of the Olympic torch, but Michael Phelps is still causing tongues to wag in Beijing and not just because of his swimming finesse. Earlier this week, reports the New York Post, the 23-year-old guy with the gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold and gold was seen at a victory celebration smooching with Australian swimmer Stephanie Rice, 20. She reportedly has only recently broken up with Phelps's rival from Down Under, the Aussie team's Eamon Sullivan.

When Phelps (who doesn't have a girlfriend) and Rice (who has three gold medals of her own) posed in their Speedos, she gushed about the "Baltimore Bullet"]: "I definitely admire him for his athletic ability and everything he's achieved. I'm just really glad to be in the mix with that."
    She needs to get her hands off my man.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Nothing much on tonight. I already saw the USA/Russia v-ball game. I used to love watching diving, but it doesn't hold my interest anymore. One running race is blurring into the next. I just can't tell them apart.

I'm really concerned about the repercussions that will come down if/when the underage gymnasts are exposed. I don't see anyway to punish the Chinese gov't, the likely guilty party, without also punishing the gymnasts who are only pawns in this soap opera.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Just watched South Korea defeat Cuba for the gold medal in baseball. Good for Korea--I was hoping someone--anyone--would beat Cuba. It's funny 'cause I heard that one of the reasons they had gotten rid of baseball and softball for the 2012 games is because the same teams always win--Cuba in baseball and the U.S. in softball. And this Olympics, neither country won the gold.

There was some crazy umpiring going on in this game as well. I swear--they're going to need computer imaging generation to be the judges/scorers/umpires from now on in all the sports!

I'm hoping both get reinstated in 2016 games--especially if they're held in Chicago.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;3174036;
    Nothing much on tonight. I already saw the USA/Russia v-ball game. I used to love watching diving, but it doesn't hold my interest anymore. One running race is blurring into the next. I just can't tell them apart.

I'm really concerned about the repercussions that will come down if/when the underage gymnasts are exposed. I don't see anyway to punish the Chinese gov't, the likely guilty party, without also punishing the gymnasts who are only pawns in this soap opera.
    If they are found to be lying.. the could be banned from Worlds and MAYBE the next Olympic Games.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I am watching the medal ceremony online for Women's Basketball right now. It is cool to be able to see all the pageantry missed on the network broadcasts. And to see every member of each team introduced and awarded their medals.

Congrats to the USA women's basketball team for bringing home the gold once again. On a personal note, it was fun to watch Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi playing together again.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread