+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3173192;
    Ah ha! Yes, then it is a time zone thing. NBC refuses to show any of the Olympics being broadcast on the main network live on the West Coast.
    We West Coasters always get the shaft from the networks.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3171960;
    Well, I haven't seen much shaking of hands by anyone on the track this year. A few have, but certainly not everyone...especially not the men.
    I noticed that also, I think it might be something to do with this new generation of runners which is a shame. Heck even the cockiest SOB that's ever ran track, Ben Johnson shook Carl Lewis' hand.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3173304;
    Racewalking has been an Olympic sport since 1904.
    I was stunned that the Aussie who got silver in the 50km also got bronze in the 20km. That'a a hell of a lot of fast walking.

Another gold and another world record for Usain Bolt in the 4x100 relay.
    It was sad to see so many teams stuff up th changes.

I know I'm in Canada and watching Canadian and US tv, but I haven't seen a single Brit awarded their gold medal on tv, in fact, apart from swimming I've seen very few medal ceremonies.
    As much as our national anthem is an embarassing dirge, it would be nice to hear it once in a while.
    We'll be back home for 2012 though with superior tv coverage, and will hopefully get to see many Brit golds awarded.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3171927;
    So I have a couple of questions, mainly about He Kexin. So I know that she'll get her medals taken away from her if she does turn out to be underage. But what about the others of Team China? Would they be punished for being on a team with an underaged girl by getting their medals taken away also? And if they all do get their gold medals taken away, would Team USA be bumped up? And would Nastia be bumped up to the gold on the uneven bars? Because I know that a guy in some sport won the bronze but was later stripped of his medal after he threw it down to floor, saying that if it wasn't gold, then it's a failure. But the 4th place person wasn't bumped up.

And is anyone else following indoor volleyball? The women's USA team made the finals, the first time since 1984! And ironically, they beat Cuba to get to the finals, which is the only team that has defeated them in these games.
    I heard that any underage gymnast would be stripped of their medals and the medalists below them will move up. This would enclude the team gold, since the team members were part of the fraud. The 16 year rule was put in affect to protect younger gymnasts. Bella doesn't agree with the rule either, but, since it's there EVERY country must follow it. I'm sure when the younger girls agreed to this fraud they never realized it would be questioned. China was arrogant to assume that no one would be suspicious and question their honor. My only surprise is that they left any way for the truth to be determined.

I'm thrilled about the indoor v-ball teams. Last night I stupidly stayed up until 3:00 watching the men stomp Russia in 5. I was a little annoyed that they didn't put them away in 3, but have graciously forgiven them. The USA/Cuba game was great too.

I still think that Bolt was a jerk for showboating BEFORE the end of the 100, but didn't care what he did before and after the races. He did a great job, but comparing his Olympic accomplishments to M Phelp's is just wrong.

Congrats to the beach v-ball teams. Well deserved victory. When the men lost to Latvia in game 1, I was worried, but that helped them by lining them up to play with the lesser teams until the very end. A strategy to think about for the future. I was surprised how some teams scream at each other and play the blame game throughout the matches. Fortunately out teams didn't give us such a reason for embarrassment.

I have a real problem with the strategy the racers have of "saving some" in the qualifying heats. The best strategy is run your ass off and forget about the others unless you're on a relay team. I was torn between sadness and disgust at the USA relay teams losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3173166;
    What in the bleep, bleep, bleep? The US/Argentina basketball game is going on right now and NBC doesn't feel the need to show it on any of its networks?
    Don't they have every event online whether it's shown on TV or not?

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3173255;
    Well, I for one am REALLY HAPPY that they showed BMX racing! Just knowing that grown adult women can race around a dirt track on children's bicycles......
    Hey man, some of those "children's bikes" can cost a pretty penny, not to mention the costs of getting them to the right specs for the riders, cost of replacing items. My uncle use to sponser a small racing team (he owns a local gas station) and we would always go to the races every weekend. We even went to Reno one year for Nationals, and my brother placed in his bracket and got a trophy we still have that's over 6 foot tall.

I'm so happy Jill won a medal! I can say I know an Olympic medalist now .
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;3173505;
    Don't they have every event online whether it's shown on TV or not?
    The couple events I watched on line were really choppy. I don't know if it is because everyone on the West Coast is trying to watch things live or because the NBC system just sucks but it's not nearly the same.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

CCL

Regarding the age issue in gymnastics - I think this should have been settled before the Games. How long did people know which contestants would make up the Chinese team? I'm sure it was a while before the Games started. If the IOC/Gymnastics Federation didn't see fit to investigate before, or if they did and accepted the identity documents they were shown, then that should be enough. I don't think the gymnasts should be stripped of their medals at this point. It's not like it is a case of something happening during the actual competition and the IOC having to step in to correct the event (a la Sale and Pelletier). If they do investigate and find out that the Chinese government/sports authorities did collude to falsify documents, then I think the Chiense should be banned from competing for a set period. I still don't think the Chinese gymnasts should be stripped of their medals. They competed and did their best and deserve to keep the medals they won.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

And I don't like it when they show entire basketball games on Olympic coverage and ignore the sports with less exposure. To me seeing a bunch of professional basketball players playing is no different than any other basketball game you can see during the regular season. But that is just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3173166;
    What in the bleep, bleep, bleep? The US/Argentina basketball game is going on right now and NBC doesn't feel the need to show it on any of its networks?
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

That sounds like the best scenario

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3173533;
    Regarding the age issue in gymnastics - I think this should have been settled before the Games. How long did people know which contestants would make up the Chinese team? I'm sure it was a while before the Games started. If the IOC/Gymnastics Federation didn't see fit to investigate before, or if they did and accepted the identity documents they were shown, then that should be enough. I don't think the gymnasts should be stripped of their medals at this point. It's not like it is a case of something happening during the actual competition and the IOC having to step in to correct the event (a la Sale and Pelletier). If they do investigate and find out that the Chinese government/sports authorities did collude to falsify documents, then I think the Chiense should be banned from competing for a set period. I still don't think the Chinese gymnasts should be stripped of their medals. They competed and did their best and deserve to keep the medals they won.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

+ Reply to Thread