+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

I'd be looking for a body of evidence greater than a few documents provided by the group who is allegedly cheating, that's for sure.

For anyone who's interested, here's the website of the guy who dug up some of the documents...
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 08-22-2008 at 11:36 AM.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3173102;
    I was channel surfing last night trying to find tae kwon do. Didn't find any. But I did see the last few minutes of that gymnastics movie "Stick It" and whose little face did I see? Nastia's! I had heard she had a role in there but it was so funny to see her!

I remember seeing a segment on 20/20 or one of those news shows about how there are passport brokers all over the world who work for the country's goverments and if you pay them enough, you can get a passport to say whatever you want. It was a story about how terrorists get access to countries etc. So, since the Chinese government issued these passports and IDs, it doesn't seem to be that much of a stretch to think that they could put whatever information they wanted to on those passports.

I am starting to have trepidation about the punishment that is going to happen--not just on the athletes, but on the reporters who reported in 2006 and 2007 that He was whatever age. I have a feeling that some of them will be punished for reporting "incorrectly" on her age back then and bringing all this attention to her age now, which they will insist is correct.

None of these little girls are wealthy and neither are their parents. They have improved lives because of their status of elite gymnasts. I don't see how they could've orchestrated any of this themselves without help from the government. They will make a scapegoat out of someone though, and it worries me a little.

At least even if it's not fair that the U.S. women got a team silver instead of the gold, they get to return home to live in America. I know that that may not seem like much of a consolation, but I'd so much rather "lose" and come home to live in the U.S than to win -- however it's accomplished -- and live in China.

I wish that the judges would all be punished for their ridiculous and totally imperfect judging. Sheesh!

ETA: I was surprised that they aired all of the speed walking races last night but not my beloved tae kwon do. I can't help it--I'm sure those athletes are amazing but how did this event become an Olympic event?

I was able to read about it at least lol. Diana won Silver (YAY) and Mark won Bronze. Steven goes today I think. A gold would make it a nice family set

*sending out gold vibes for him*
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

What in the bleep, bleep, bleep? The US/Argentina basketball game is going on right now and NBC doesn't feel the need to show it on any of its networks?
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3173166;
    What in the bleep, bleep, bleep? The US/Argentina basketball game is going on right now and NBC doesn't feel the need to show it on any of its networks?
    LOL I was just heading back here to mention that because I just read it now. I am really not happy with the coverage.. or lack of that we have this games. I think NBC has really dropped the ball... As much as I love me some Phelps.. that is ALL they cared to show it feels like.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3173166;
    Is that a time zone thing? Becaue I'm watching the game right now on NBC, and they've been showing the game in its entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3173176;
    Is that a time zone thing? Becaue I'm watching the game right now on NBC, and they've been showing the game in its entirety.
    Ah ha! Yes, then it is a time zone thing. NBC refuses to show any of the Olympics being broadcast on the main network live on the West Coast. USA, MSNBC, and CNBC do show things live like yesterday's softball gold medal game, the women's basketball semifinal v. Russia, and the women's soccer gold medal game. There is absolutely no reason for not showing the basketball game live here. CBC shows the same coverage live in Pacific time that gets shown in Eastern time. Unfortunately, they weren't interested in showing the basketball game apparently. I've watched as little American coverage as possible because we are getting everything delayed. I keep meaning to send NBC a scathing e-mail. If the same thing happens for the Vancouver Winter Olympics where the events are actually happening in Pacific time, it will just prove what a joke American Olympic tv coverage is.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Ive had NBC on for about an hour..a nd I have seen only track and field and gymnatics

FORT Fogey

Well, I for one am REALLY HAPPY that they showed BMX racing! Just knowing that grown adult women can race around a dirt track on children's bicycles......

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3173255;
    Well, I for one am REALLY HAPPY that they showed BMX racing! Just knowing that grown adult women can race around a dirt track on children's bicycles......
    My husband used to compete in BMX racing as a kid and had some of the same sponsors! So we had fun watching the races. It's exciting--kind of like short track in the winter games!

And because I really should get a job at Tiger Beat ... Here's some info on Phelps macking on a Aussie swimmer's exgirlfriend! That Eamon Sullivan was a cutie, too, but apparently he doesn't have all of Phelps' gold medals...

Michael Phelps & Stephanie Rice: Just Friends? - Olympics Summer 2008, Michael Phelps : People.com

He may be winging his way to London for the Sunday hand-off of the Olympic torch, but Michael Phelps is still causing tongues to wag in Beijing – and not just because of his swimming finesse. Earlier this week, reports the New York Post, the 23-year-old guy with the gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold and gold was seen at a victory celebration smooching with Australian swimmer Stephanie Rice, 20. She reportedly has only recently broken up with Phelps's rival from Down Under, the Aussie team's Eamon Sullivan.

When Phelps (who doesn't have a girlfriend) and Rice (who has three gold medals of her own) posed in their Speedos, she gushed about the "Baltimore Bullet"]: "I definitely admire him for his athletic ability and everything he's achieved. I'm just really glad to be in the mix with that."

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3173102;
    I was channel surfing last night trying to find tae kwon do. Didn't find any. But I did see the last few minutes of that gymnastics movie "Stick It" and whose little face did I see? Nastia's! I had heard she had a role in there but it was so funny to see her!

I remember seeing a segment on 20/20 or one of those news shows about how there are passport brokers all over the world who work for the country's goverments and if you pay them enough, you can get a passport to say whatever you want. It was a story about how terrorists get access to countries etc. So, since the Chinese government issued these passports and IDs, it doesn't seem to be that much of a stretch to think that they could put whatever information they wanted to on those passports.

I am starting to have trepidation about the punishment that is going to happen--not just on the athletes, but on the reporters who reported in 2006 and 2007 that He was whatever age. I have a feeling that some of them will be punished for reporting "incorrectly" on her age back then and bringing all this attention to her age now, which they will insist is correct.

None of these little girls are wealthy and neither are their parents. They have improved lives because of their status of elite gymnasts. I don't see how they could've orchestrated any of this themselves without help from the government. They will make a scapegoat out of someone though, and it worries me a little.

At least even if it's not fair that the U.S. women got a team silver instead of the gold, they get to return home to live in America. I know that that may not seem like much of a consolation, but I'd so much rather "lose" and come home to live in the U.S than to win -- however it's accomplished -- and live in China.

I wish that the judges would all be punished for their ridiculous and totally imperfect judging. Sheesh!

ETA: I was surprised that they aired all of the speed walking races last night but not my beloved tae kwon do. I can't help it--I'm sure those athletes are amazing but how did this event become an Olympic event?
    Racewalking has been an Olympic sport since 1904.

Gary Grant's last film Walk Don't Run (1966) has subplot about a racewalker in the 1964 Toyko Olympics. Gary also participates as a racewalker during the film.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-22-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread