+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

MRD

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3171694;
    It takes a lot of skill to jump horses, it's not just the horse doing the work...
    I agree and I would have liked to have seen more of the equestrian events as well as some of the fencing and shooting.

If one girl gets disqualified for age from the Chinese team, I would think that they all would lose their medals.

Didn't Marion Jones' teammates lose their medals too when she was found guilty of doping this past year in the Sydney games?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3171948;
    I'm trying to find it at nbc.com or whatever their Olympic website is.

Regarding the Chinese gymnastics team...I feel sorry for the little girls who may get their medals stripped. Do any of you think the government is going to take the blame? They are going to say the girls lied; the coaches lied; the girls' parents lied. Heads will roll, but not the government heads who no doubt fabricated this whole farce. And like a PP had said...the judging was so crappy all around that even if they had girls who were 18 competing, chances are they still would've won.

I'm such an idiot...in the track races, I thought they were saying, "Feh!" or something Chinese...They're saying "set."
    It should be the responsibility of the olympic team gymnastic coach (each country has one, and some participants have individual coaches as well) to insure that each participant is indeed eligible. Therefore, as a team, any team that doesn't abide by the rules should be disqualified. For instance, if one member of a winning relay team was found to have "doping" on testing, the winning team would be disqualified, not just the "doping athelete".

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3172070;
    I agree and I would have liked to have seen more of the equestrian events as well as some of the fencing and shooting.

If one girl gets disqualified for age from the Chinese team, I would think that they all would lose their medals.

Didn't Marion Jones' teammates lose their medals too when she was found guilty of doping this past year in the Sydney games?
    Yes, they did.. and she spoke out for the team keeping their golds.. but the IOC took them all. So that is a good point MRD, maybe the team would see theirs taken as well.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Leo
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3171927;
    So I have a couple of questions, mainly about He Kexin. So I know that she'll get her medals taken away from her if she does turn out to be underage. But what about the others of Team China? Would they be punished for being on a team with an underaged girl by getting their medals taken away also? And if they all do get their gold medals taken away, would Team USA be bumped up? And would Nastia be bumped up to the gold on the uneven bars? Because I know that a guy in some sport won the bronze but was later stripped of his medal after he threw it down to floor, saying that if it wasn't gold, then it's a failure. But the 4th place person wasn't bumped up.
    Historically, at the Olympic level when an individual is disqualified so is the entire team. There aren't that many examples (one from 1968, one from 1972, two from 2000), but it's been the same treatment in all cases.

As for the person you mentioned - the Swedish wrestler - the fourth place guy already had a bronze medal. (Wrestling routinely awards two bronzes, not just one.) In general, though, if the reason for medal-stripping is in the context of competition - i.e., cheating - the medal gets awarded to the next person. If it's not - if it's for acting like an idiot during the medal ceremony - then the medal is stripped, but not awarded to anyone else.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3172088;
    Yes, they did.. and she spoke out for the team keeping their golds.. but the IOC took them all. So that is a good point MRD, maybe the team would see theirs taken as well.
    While it would be a shame for the girls that are 16 and older, maybe this is what it takes to get everyone to play by the rules. It's not the girls faults, it's the Chinese governments. But the girls will suffer for it unfortunately, but if it becomes the big brohaha that it's becoming and qualified athletes end up losing their medals, then maybe it would make some countries tell the truth in the future.

The IOC is a pretty hardline organization. They need to be. But they dont' mess around.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3172100;
    While it would be a shame for the girls that are 16 and older, maybe this is what it takes to get everyone to play by the rules. It's not the girls faults, it's the Chinese governments. But the girls will suffer for it unfortunately, but if it becomes the big brohaha that it's becoming and qualified athletes end up losing their medals, then maybe it would make some countries tell the truth in the future.

The IOC is a pretty hardline organization. They need to be. But they dont' mess around.

Its a shame for all of them, and IMO, a shame for China to lie. He most likely had no choice but to go along with the lie if it is in fact a lie. Who knows what they said to her.. they could say your family will have its farm burned down.. house taken.. we will never know. I do not blame her or her team, I blame her nation for forcing a lie upon them all. I hate to think if it is all found to be true how it will effect her in the next games.. will she be banned??
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Popeyesgal;3172071;
    It should be the responsibility of the olympic team gymnastic coach (each country has one, and some participants have individual coaches as well) to insure that each participant is indeed eligible.
    Yes, but they were probably pressured by their government to do this. I have no doubt it was the government that did this--but they won't take the blame. They'll come up with a convenient scapegoat, and that will be the parents, the coach or the gymnast.

There was a reverse case of this in Little League, where a boy was too old to play but he had "documents" that showed he was 12 or whatever the cut off age is. And he clearly was older almost to the point of needing to shave. I exaggerate a little here, but does anyone else remember this?

Back on topic of this Olympics...did you all see the relay teams--both the mens and womens US teams--dropping the batons and being disqualified? What the...?!!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3172306;
    Its a shame for all of them, and IMO, a shame for China to lie. He most likely had no choice but to go along with the lie if it is in fact a lie. Who knows what they said to her.. they could say your family will have its farm burned down.. house taken.. we will never know. I do not blame her or her team, I blame her nation for forcing a lie upon them all. I hate to think if it is all found to be true how it will effect her in the next games.. will she be banned??
    If it is found that He, or any of the team, is under age, not only will they (He) be banned from the sport but also shunned by the family and country for causing shame to their "great" nation.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3172434;
    Back on topic of this Olympics...did you all see the relay teams--both the mens and womens US teams--dropping the batons and being disqualified? What the...?!!!
    It was like their was a magnetic force pulling the baton down at the same spot for both teams.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Lois, there was a case here in NY a few years ago that involved the exact same scenario you paint.

BASEBALL; Bronx Little League Cuts Ties
    By FRANK LITSKY
    Published: February 6, 2002

The Rolando Paulino Little League in the Bronx, whose use of an overage player set off a scandal last August, has apparently dropped out of Little League baseball and will take its players on the road.

Little League headquarters in Williamsport, Pa., said yesterday it received a letter Monday saying that the Paulino league would not seek a charter to play in Little League competition this year. Lance Van Auken, a spokesman for Little League Baseball, said the letter was unsigned, but bore a stamp of the Paulino league.

The Daily News reported yesterday that Rolando Paulino, the 37-year-old sportswriter who founded the Bronx league, said his league teams would play in other leagues and in other nations, including the Dominican Republic and Cuba.

Paulino was quoted as having said, ''Little League wants to control us, and we won't allow that.'' Telephone messages seeking further comment yesterday were not answered.

Joan Dalmau, a Little League associate of Paulino, was expected to take over the administrative duties. After months of talking with Little League headquarters, she was quoted as saying, ''They would basically be running the league, so why don't they just go up to the Bronx and run the league themselves?''

After the Rolando Paulino All-Stars finished third in the Little League World Series last August, the team was disqualified after national officials discovered that its star pitcher, Danny Almonte, was 14 years old. The age limit is 12. A fake birth certificate was involved and other rules were broken.

Paulino was banned for life from any Little League activity, and several of his league managers and coaches were suspended for at least a year.
    BASEBALL; Bronx Little League Cuts Ties - New York Times
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread