+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

I don't see Bolt showing any lack of respect to his rivals at all. He was celebrating his winning. There is nothing wrong with that. I have seen too many displays of poor sportsmanship in this Olympics and I don't read any articles on their lack of respect to their rivals. It's not like he was going up into people's faces and saying "ha, ha, ha, I beat you!"

Last edited by sukee; 08-21-2008 at 06:53 PM.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3171823;
    I don't see Bolt showing any lack of respect to his rivals at all. He was celebrating his winning. There is nothing wrong with that. I have seen too many displays of poor sportsmanship in this Olympics and I don't read any articles on their lack of respect to their rivals. It's not like he was going up into people's faces and saying "ha, ha, ha, I beat you!"
    Besides the fact the group was so far behind the only thing they could see was the dust tracks he left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3171825;
    Besides the fact the group was so far behind the only thing they could see was the dust tracks he left behind.
    It's just a matter of proper etiquette. Runners always shake the hands or aknowledge their competitors after races, if they don't it's considered disrespectful.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632;3171803;
    Hopefully this solves it once and for all, one way or the other so the rightful winners, whichever country they are from, can relish in their medals.

IOC Orders Investigation into He Kexin's age

IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age
    By Chris Chase
    The International Olympic Committee has ordered an investigation into the age of Chinese gymnast He Kexin, The Times of London reports. Faced with almost insurmountable evidence which suggests that He is two years younger than the birth date listed on her Chinese passport, the IOC has launched an inquiry that could result in the stripping of He's gold medals.

This news comes on the heels of another Times report that details the findings of a New York computer security expert who found official Chinese documents that list He's age as 14 years and 220 days. Mike Walker used a Chinese search engine's cache feature to find He's actual date of birth on spreadsheets from a Chinese government website. The spreadsheets were taken down off the site recently and He's name had been removed.

Assuming the IOC is committed to a real investigation and not some dog and pony show, the revelation that the Chinese government covered up the ages of gymnasts could end up being the defining moment of these Games for the host country. Officials wanted the Olympics to be a coming out party for a new China. But while the Games have been a huge success, there is a legitimate possibility that China's legacy from Beijing '08 will be that of a massive government cover-up, not the magical Opening Ceremony or the transformation of Beijing or anything else positive.

All the good work China did to put on these Olympics could be forgotten because of an unnecessary, arrogant move by the government. Why risk everything to put a 14-year old in the competition when they could have replaced her with an of-age 16-year old gymnast? Sure, He is a better gymnast than the Chinese gymnasts who were eligible to compete, but with the judges they had at the Olympics, would it really have mattered?
    there is nothing the ioc can do and you know they won't do a thing, if the chinese gvnt said he/she is 16 . they can say it's somebody else.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3171790;
    There is too much in print showing her age as 14 for moe NOT to think that they lied. Half that team looks 12, the other half looks of age and I have no issues there... the 1 year thing I can take.. but not 4.
    I agree. They do look very young. I realize that often times, oriental women don't show their age the way others do, but if you look at the Chinese divers, there are some young ones there, listed as 15 and 16, and they too are very small, however, they don't look 12 like some of the gymnasts do. I hope that the IOC truly investigates this, and doesn't just "pretend" to do so. The Chinese women should be stripped of all of their medals.JMO

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Is anyone airing the tae kwon do tournaments? I am so ticked off...they're not even showing the matches with the Lopez family? Meanwhile, they air the stupid beach volleyball tournaments? Sorry--I can't stand beach volleyball and am just sick of it.

ETA: I know there are plenty of people who enjoy beach volleyball so I don't mean to make light of all the fans. What I find really irritating is there are some history in the making wins that NBC is just not covering. Afghanistan won a medal in tae kwon do--granted, it wasn't gold but it's a HUGE win for that country. I'd like to see it. I'm just super cranky...
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 08-21-2008 at 08:08 PM.

So I have a couple of questions, mainly about He Kexin. So I know that she'll get her medals taken away from her if she does turn out to be underage. But what about the others of Team China? Would they be punished for being on a team with an underaged girl by getting their medals taken away also? And if they all do get their gold medals taken away, would Team USA be bumped up? And would Nastia be bumped up to the gold on the uneven bars? Because I know that a guy in some sport won the bronze but was later stripped of his medal after he threw it down to floor, saying that if it wasn't gold, then it's a failure. But the 4th place person wasn't bumped up.

And is anyone else following indoor volleyball? The women's USA team made the finals, the first time since 1984! And ironically, they beat Cuba to get to the finals, which is the only team that has defeated them in these games.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Id like to see it as well.. Diana (Lopez) is up tonight at 9 or 10, maybe they will show it then?

And Yes, I think that Nastia would be bumped up. As far as the team gold.. no idea :/
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3171928;
    Id like to see it as well.. Diana (Lopez) is up tonight at 9 or 10, maybe they will show it then?
    I'm trying to find it at nbc.com or whatever their Olympic website is.

Regarding the Chinese gymnastics team...I feel sorry for the little girls who may get their medals stripped. Do any of you think the government is going to take the blame? They are going to say the girls lied; the coaches lied; the girls' parents lied. Heads will roll, but not the government heads who no doubt fabricated this whole farce. And like a PP had said...the judging was so crappy all around that even if they had girls who were 18 competing, chances are they still would've won.

I'm such an idiot...in the track races, I thought they were saying, "Feh!" or something Chinese...They're saying "set."

Well, I haven't seen much shaking of hands by anyone on the track this year. A few have, but certainly not everyone...especially not the men.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3171827;
    It's just a matter of proper etiquette. Runners always shake the hands or aknowledge their competitors after races, if they don't it's considered disrespectful.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

+ Reply to Thread