+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;3171537;
    I'm not arguing the fact that the Chinese gymnists look young... but my sister had to have some of her baby teeth removed when she was 23 (She jokingly said she was trying to break the Guinness book of world records for having baby teeth at an old age). One of the reasons they could be looking younger is because of the rigorous training they do. And if they are pressured to be thin and all that stuff, poor nutrition can stunt growth and make people look thinner. Just some food for thought. Mmm... food
    Or they are actually twelve.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3171423;
    Golf would certainly be difficult. They do currently have top players from India, South Africa, Ireland, Scotland, Great Britain, Australia, and the US... but... that's not enough, I agree. Not really a high action head to head match up possibility, either. Yes, we have the Ryder Cup and other team based competitions, but it's just not Olympic competition caliber.
    On the men's side there's also top golfers from South Korea, Sweden, Thailand, China and Japan (most of them play on the Asian Tour) but on the women's side South Korea would rule.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

If they were going to do golf, I assume it would be match play. Isn't Lorena Ochoa Mexican? Heck, maybe Annika, would come out of retirement for the Olympics.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3171557;
    Or they are actually twelve.
    If you google/U-tube "Jin Yang @ Discovery channel part3", there is a video of Jin Yang and her story to make the 2008 Olympic team. She is the cutest 12 yr old girl, so dedicated to gymnastics. She was picked around age two, just out of diapers, to be trained. Even though her family lives in Beijing, she must be housed at the school. They practice 6-8 hours a day, 6 days a week.
    Not sure when part 3 was made, but in part one they say the city of Beijing has less then two years to get ready for the olympics. So sometime around 2005-2006.

I guess you could say the same for the US swim team horsing around on the podium during the medal ceremony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3171093;
    He is jaw dropping amazing but I agree with the IOC's president that he needs to attain a level of maturity and gamesmanship......this is The Olympics...
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

It takes a lot of skill to jump horses, it's not just the horse doing the work...

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3171204;
    I think that there are way too many sports in the olympics that shouldn't be there at all. I believe that they should get rid of all Equestrian events, especially Dressage

If anything, the horses should get the medal and the people riding them maybe a pat on the back, because the horses do all the work. If the Ioc doesn't allow any sports using cars, I don't know why horses are allowed, because they're pretty much a step down from them.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3171090;
    . . . Did anyone else find it shocking that Tian of the Chinese team was playing dirty? . . .
    After everything the Chinese have pulled in general during the course of these Olympic Games -- nope, not shocked at all.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3171618;
    If they were going to do golf, I assume it would be match play. Isn't Lorena Ochoa Mexican? Heck, maybe Annika, would come out of retirement for the Olympics.
    Yes, she's a mega heroine in Mexico.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;3171537;
    I'm not arguing the fact that the Chinese gymnists look young... but my sister had to have some of her baby teeth removed when she was 23 (She jokingly said she was trying to break the Guinness book of world records for having baby teeth at an old age). One of the reasons they could be looking younger is because of the rigorous training they do. And if they are pressured to be thin and all that stuff, poor nutrition can stunt growth and make people look thinner. Just some food for thought. Mmm... food

There is too much in print showing her age as 14 for moe NOT to think that they lied. Half that team looks 12, the other half looks of age and I have no issues there... the 1 year thing I can take.. but not 4.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Hopefully this solves it once and for all, one way or the other so the rightful winners, whichever country they are from, can relish in their medals.

IOC Orders Investigation into He Kexin's age

IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age
    By Chris Chase
    The International Olympic Committee has ordered an investigation into the age of Chinese gymnast He Kexin, The Times of London reports. Faced with almost insurmountable evidence which suggests that He is two years younger than the birth date listed on her Chinese passport, the IOC has launched an inquiry that could result in the stripping of He's gold medals.

This news comes on the heels of another Times report that details the findings of a New York computer security expert who found official Chinese documents that list He's age as 14 years and 220 days. Mike Walker used a Chinese search engine's cache feature to find He's actual date of birth on spreadsheets from a Chinese government website. The spreadsheets were taken down off the site recently and He's name had been removed.

Assuming the IOC is committed to a real investigation and not some dog and pony show, the revelation that the Chinese government covered up the ages of gymnasts could end up being the defining moment of these Games for the host country. Officials wanted the Olympics to be a coming out party for a new China. But while the Games have been a huge success, there is a legitimate possibility that China's legacy from Beijing '08 will be that of a massive government cover-up, not the magical Opening Ceremony or the transformation of Beijing or anything else positive.

All the good work China did to put on these Olympics could be forgotten because of an unnecessary, arrogant move by the government. Why risk everything to put a 14-year old in the competition when they could have replaced her with an of-age 16-year old gymnast? Sure, He is a better gymnast than the Chinese gymnasts who were eligible to compete, but with the judges they had at the Olympics, would it really have mattered?
    Wag more, bark less

+ Reply to Thread