+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 67 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Too bad they don't have any disdain for China using underage girls in Gymnastic's.

I think that there are way too many sports in the olympics that shouldn't be there at all. I believe that they should get rid of all Equestrian events, especially Dressage

If anything, the horses should get the medal and the people riding them maybe a pat on the back, because the horses do all the work. If the Ioc doesn't allow any sports using cars, I don't know why horses are allowed, because they're pretty much a step down from them.

Isn't this the greatest? I have so enjoyed watching everything I could. And I think I've enjoyed reading everyone else's perspectives the most. Food for thought. And I do cook a mean omelet and bake a wonderful egg brunch in case the Games go to Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3171010;
    How come the 15- and 16-year-old Chinese women divers LOOKED 15 and 16 and their gymnasts didn't!?!?!?

Oh, that's right, the girls diving are actually 15 and 16. The gymnasts aren't! No one can convince me that they were 15 or 16 years old.
    I didn't even think of it until you mentioned it. I would like to see side by side photos of the divers vs the gymnasts just to see the differences.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

baseball, Rugby and karate have more chances of making than Golf, which is considered a rich men's sport. if field hockey can make it to the olympic so can rugby.

by the way did you read that 4 horses tested positive for banned substances!!! one horse was stripped of its medal

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Rugby is a fantastic sport! Like American football...only less sissy!

I was noticing that about the Chinese divers and gymnasts, too. Even that really petite Chinese diver who was chosen for diving partially because she said she doesn't like to eat was super scrawny but looked like a mid-age teenager. I do think that gymnasts typically look younger overall than divers...but didn't the say some of those gymnasts were missing their baby teeth and their adult teeth hadn't fully grown in yet? That to me is the indicator that they're underage, rather than how short they are or young they look. When you're missing your front teeth and you're not Michael Spinks...

About Michael Phelps dad...I will say that I like that he's not trying to capitalize on his son's fame and isn't doing interviews.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 08-21-2008 at 11:55 AM.

FORT Fogey

The equestrian events wouldn't be considered a rich man's sport? I think that the biggest difficulty that golf would face would be the same problem as baseball -- a matter of diversity of players from enough countries around the world. I'm trying to do a count in my head of notable players and where they are from. It may or may not meet the perceived needed threshhold.

Golf would certainly be difficult. They do currently have top players from India, South Africa, Ireland, Scotland, Great Britain, Australia, and the US... but... that's not enough, I agree. Not really a high action head to head match up possibility, either. Yes, we have the Ryder Cup and other team based competitions, but it's just not Olympic competition caliber.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

also can you imagine how much space (hectar) they need to play

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3171237;
    I was noticing that about the Chinese divers and gymnasts, too. Even that really petite Chinese diver who was chosen for diving partially because she said she doesn't like to eat was super scrawny but looked like a mid-age teenager. I do think that gymnasts typically look younger overall than divers...but didn't the say some of those gymnasts were missing their baby teeth and their adult teeth hadn't fully grown in yet? That to me is the indicator that they're underage, rather than how short they are or young they look. When you're missing your front teeth and you're not Michael Spinks...
    I'm not arguing the fact that the Chinese gymnists look young... but my sister had to have some of her baby teeth removed when she was 23 (She jokingly said she was trying to break the Guinness book of world records for having baby teeth at an old age). One of the reasons they could be looking younger is because of the rigorous training they do. And if they are pressured to be thin and all that stuff, poor nutrition can stunt growth and make people look thinner. Just some food for thought. Mmm... food
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

+ Reply to Thread