+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

What an amazingly beautiful ceremony that was! I was actually not bored for a single moment of the 4 hours which I usually have been during past opening ceremonies. I'm glad I stayed awake to see it all especially the little earthquake survivor who got to walk next to Yao Ming. He lost 20 of his 30 classmates in the earthquake and even though he was injured, went into the rubble to save 2 of his classmates because according to him "it was his duty as a hall-monitor"
    CYA

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3160610;
    He lost 20 of his 30 classmates in the earthquake and even though he was injured, went into the rubble to save 2 of his classmates because according to him "it was his duty as a hall-monitor"
    Oh my goodness. What a little angel. I missed the last hour of the ceremonies and didn't see that.

When I was watching earlier and saw all those nations marching in, some with just one athlete, I was hoping that some of them would win medals--doesn't matter if it's gold--just something.

I didn't like Costas and Lauer giggling about how the march in would be the last time some of these lesser known athletes got to experience the Games before being sent home by better athletes. I wanted to tell them to shut their smug mouths. Gees. As much as I like Phelps and hopes he gets his 10 million gold medals, I'm like he's got his endorsements, his medals, his glory--all at 23. Love LeBron and don't care much for Kobe--but does a gold medal really mean anything to these gajallionaires? To me, it's so much more amazing that someone from some tiny town/village with no resources made their team...even if they don't win a medal. I would love to see other athletes just get a millionith of that attention.

I can't stand Costas. He's one of those smarty pants guys who just should be pistol whipped. (Oh wait, did I say that out loud?!) I don't mean that literally--he's just so smug and annoying. I really miss Jim McKay during his prime. He was always so eloquent and full of grace. RIP Mr. McKay...

ETA: Ok, I just googled around and saw little Lin Hao marching with Yao... What an adorable little sweetheart! I actually have tears in my eyes. What a little cutie. I wish I saw the Chinese team marching in last night... Sigh.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 08-09-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: ETA thanks for the heads up about Lin Hao

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3160348;
    Political messages aside, I think the opening ceremony was one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning.
    It was beautiful but I found it strangely devoid of feeling...maybe it was just me.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3160591;
    We laughed at that too. They kept cutting to him and Laura looked like she was having the time of her life, he looked bored as hell. At one point he was drumming his little American flag on his knee.
    He has no class. I'm sure he was bored and had a right to be bored, but to act like a little child having to sit through church or school or whatever else he didn't want to do. And you're right...Laura Bush looked like she was having a wonderful time.

I'm not a big fan of the French president for various things, but he did look pretty dapper in his suit. Leave it to the French!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3160465;
    Thanks for that. I knew there was a set age for gymnastics. But there's no universal age minimum, right? 'Cause during the opening ceremonies, one of the divers for Spain (? I think) was a 14-year-old boy.
    The minimum age varies according to the sport. I believe the sport's ruling body sets the minimum age, not the IOC. The minimum age for diving is 14.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3160591;
    We laughed at that too. They kept cutting to him and Laura looked like she was having the time of her life, he looked bored as hell. At one point he was drumming his little American flag on his knee.

I DVR'ed it too to skip commercials. I have to admit that my favorite part was watching that little boy that survived the earthquake with Yao Ming.

I LOVE the parade of nations. I love to see what they wear. Hungary's women's outfits made them look like they had been victims of multiple shootings and one country looked like they copied their blazers from Captain Kangaroo, but aside from that, I love to see the counties that wear traditional costumes. However, my ONLY complaint is that that is what makes it so long (but I'm glad they show it) and why oh why did they keep playing Scotland the Brave on the bagpipes over and over and over during that parade? I admit to getting goosebumps when I usually here the pipes play that, but after last night, I don't want to hear it for a long time.

The opening was spectacular. Loved the drummers and everything else. Hated listening to Bob Kostas run off at the mouth. After he had talked and talked to fill air time, he kept saying all the things the Chinese had invented: Paper, printing, magnetic compass, etc. we did entertain ourselves from that point by saying "You know the Chinese invented that" every time Kostas said something.

I also liked that giant painting they did and the fact that every athletes footprints are on it now.

I also got all goosebumpy when they talked about the guy that carried the American flag. We heard an interview with him about his experiences in the Sudan as a kidnapped boy soldier and how he managed to escape and eventually get to America. And how his foster family had to teach him how to shower and all the little things you don't think about and how well he's done and then became a natualized citizen, made the US Olympic team and got voted by his teammates to carry the flag. Very inspirational story. I'm really pulling for him.

I just read this morning that relatives of the US men's indoor volleyball coach were attacked in a random attack in Beijing and one was killed and one seriously wounded today. So sad.

So can't wait to start watching sports. I think today is swimming.
    I can't stand Bob Costas. Jim McKay is even more so missed. It was hard to watch and NOT hear his voice. Their dedicaion after the coverage was nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3160652;

I didn't like Costas and Lauer giggling about how the march in would be the last time some of these lesser known athletes got to experience the Games before being sent home by better athletes. I wanted to tell them to shut their smug mouths. Gees. As much as I like Phelps and hopes he gets his 10 million gold medals, I'm like he's got his endorsements, his medals, his glory--all at 23. Love LeBron and don't care much for Kobe--but does a gold medal really mean anything to these gajallionaires? To me, it's so much more amazing that someone from some tiny town/village with no resources made their team...even if they don't win a medal. I would love to see other athletes just get a millionith of that attention.

I can't stand Costas. He's one of those smarty pants guys who just should be pistol whipped. (Oh wait, did I say that out loud?!) I don't mean that literally--he's just so smug and annoying. I really miss Jim McKay during his prime. He was always so eloquent and full of grace. RIP Mr. McKay...

ETA: Ok, I just googled around and saw little Lin Hao marching with Yao... What an adorable little sweetheart! I actually have tears in my eyes. What a little cutie. I wish I saw the Chinese team marching in last night... Sigh.
    I loved seeing Lebron, Hes from Cleveland, he plays in Cleveland, and it was wonderful to see someone from here in the games. And yeah, it does mean a lot to them, this is something thats not easily earned, to have the chance to win Gold for your country is a once in a life time thing... and its something that is not about the cash.
    Last edited by FireWoman; 08-09-2008 at 11:00 AM.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3160688;
    I loved seeing Lebron, Hes from Cleveland, he plays in Cleveland, and it was wonderful to see someone from here in the games. And yeah, it does mean a lot to them, this is something thats not easily earned, to have the chance to win Gold for your country is a once in a life time thing... and its something that is not about the cash.
    It's a lot easier for professional athletes who practice and play the game every day for their salaries than it is for some kid who doesn't have similar opportunities. I have no doubt that it is a thrill for them to be there. My point is more along the lines of there are basically professional athletes (from all the countries) vs. truly amateur athletes who have to defy the odds to even get to a swimming pool or a gym. I'm not saying that the privileged shouldn't have the chance to compete for their country. It's just that the Olympics have become so commercialized even in my lifetime...I started watching in 1972 and in the three decades since then, it's just a totally different games. I tend to cheer for the underdog, which makes it difficult for me to cheer on Yao Ming, Kobe Bryant and the Williams sisters--even though the latter two examples are representing the U.S. As much as I enjoy watching Michael Phelps in his speedos, I mean swim, I'm hoping some unknown wins. I will say that the one person I'll really be rooting for is Dara Torres. 41, no steroids, and setting records right and left.Go Dara!

I hope I'm not coming across as unpatriotic 'cause that's not the case at all. I just wish there was a way to balance this more so that there's at least some semblance of an attempt at equality. But then again, I realizet that athletic talent/skills aren't distributed evenly between people either.

Am I making any sense? I don't think I am...

Anyhow, I can't stand Kobe. LeBron is a sweetheart though.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 08-09-2008 at 12:12 PM.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I can see your point, but I guess I also see it as they are Americans, why should they also not have a chance. I can't stand Kobe OR his bat-poo crazy wife either.

There should be some limits on Pros in the games... but in Basketbal and Tennis.. nearly every county that sends people are on an even field. They are all Pros :/ for the most part.

As far as Phelps.. I love me some Michael! I not only want to see him win I want to see him break as many records as he can doing it. There is always an underdog story in the games.. I would just rather it not be in swimming this time lol

And I cant agree more on Dara.. amazing story there
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3160763;
    I can see your point, but I guess I also see it as they are Americans, why should they also not have a chance. I can't stand Kobe OR his bat-poo crazy wife either.
    I'm sure you've seen LeBron interviewed etc. many times...he is just a class act.

I was doing a little googling and the Olympics hasn't even pretended to be full of just amateurs since the mid or late 1970's. Every team can have pro athletes on there except...baseball and boxing! It hadn't occurred to me that you never see pro baseball players at the Games! I think I read that for the soccer teams, there's a rule that only 3 members (per team) can be over the age of 23--I think that's their attempt at keeping all the players from Manchester United playing all the time.

Are any of you guys watching the events during the day? I've got my snacks already made (from some of the great tips from the Recipes thread) and have been channel surfing from NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, USA etc. and have been having a ball! (Not getting many chores done though!)

What I really do love about the Games is the spirit... when there's a competitor who barely finishes a race and everyone waits for him/her to cross the finish line to congratulate them--that's just chill-inducing to me. I think at the Sydney games, there was a swimmer from a small country who had just been practicing for about 9 months (or less). He was barely able to finish the race but got a rousing ovation for his efforts. Hopefully, that encouraged kids in his country to swim...just like a nation of kids want to become swimmers to be like Mike...

OK, enough rambling from me. Thanks for letting me express my views without pouncing on me...even when I ramble!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3160771;

What I really do love about the Games is the spirit... when there's a competitor who barely finishes a race and everyone waits for him/her to cross the finish line to congratulate them--that's just chill-inducing to me. I think at the Sydney games, there was a swimmer from a small country who had just been practicing for about 9 months (or less). He was barely able to finish the race but got a rousing ovation for his efforts. Hopefully, that encouraged kids in his country to swim...just like a nation of kids want to become swimmers to be like Mike...

OK, enough rambling from me. Thanks for letting me express my views without pouncing on me...even when I ramble!
    I remember him, I think he was in 100m freestyle (I remember it was 100m something). He had never swam longer than 48m before so when he did the turn every stroke he took made him go longer than he ever did before.

In the winter games they've also had some skiers from African countries, they've barely seen snow before but it must be a great feeling for them being able to participate in the Olympics.

+ Reply to Thread