+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

The Associated Press: IOC chides Bolt for lack of respect to rivals

BEIJING (AP) — IOC president Jacques Rogge criticized Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt on Thursday for showing a lack of respect to other competitors after his record-breaking gold medal performances in the 100 and 200 meters.

"That's not the way we perceive being a champion," Rogge said.

The International Olympic Committee chief hailed Bolt's stunning achievements in the two sprints, comparing him to American great Jesse Owens, but said Bolt should have cut out the look-at-me flaunting and acknowledged the other athletes.

"I have no problem with him doing a show," Rogge said in an interview with three international news agency reporters. "I think he should show more respect for his competitors and shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones immediately after the finish and not make gestures like the one he made in the 100 meters."

Having built a huge lead in Saturday's 100 final, Bolt slowed, glanced around with arms outstretched and pounded his chest before crossing the finish line in a world record time of 9.69 seconds.

"I understand the joy," Rogge said. "He might have interpreted that in another way, but the way it was perceived was 'catch me if you can.' You don't do that. But he'll learn. He's still a young man."

Bolt, who turned 22 on Thursday, stormed to another one-sided victory Wednesday night in the 200, breaking Michael Johnson's 12-year-old record of 19.32 seconds and lowering the mark to 19.30.

Bolt made little effort to congratulate the other runners as he wrapped himself in a Jamaican flag and set off on a solo victory lap. Swaying to the reggae music on the stadium loudspeakers, he walked barefoot around the track, putting his face inches from a TV camera, raising an index finger and yelling, "I am No. 1! I am No. 1!"

"He still has to mature," Rogge said. "I would love him to show more respect for his competitors. That's not the way we perceive being a champion. But he will learn in time. He should shake hands with his competitors and not ignore them. He'll learn that sooner or later. But (he's) a great athlete, of course."

Bolt became the first man since Carl Lewis in 1984 to win the 100 and 200 golds at a single Olympics, and the only man ever to do it by breaking world records in both. Owens completed the 100-200 sweep at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, adding golds in the long jump and relay.

"Bolt is in another dimension in sprints," Rogge said. "Bolt must be considered now the same way like Jesse Owens should have been in the 1930s. Bolt has a bigger edge than Owens on his rivals. Of course, Owens had the long jump too, so you can't compare people. If he maintains that in the future, Bolt will be someone that probably leaves a mark like Jesse Owens."
    CYA

Yes, yes, yes! I'm ecstatic that Misty and Kerri have defended their gold medal in these games. These two are definitely going down in history as one of the best beach volleyball teams ever, if not, the best. They couldn't stop jumping for joy, and I couldn't stop smiling with them. I really enjoyed their final match against the Chinese team. It didn't have that many great rallies, but nonetheless I still enjoyed it. I couldn't help but get nervous every time the Chinese were a couple of points ahead of Misty and Kerri. Thankfully, they caught up every time.

Did anyone else find it shocking that Tian of the Chinese team was playing dirty? She was totally playing up that hurt elbow. I'm sure there was at least a little pain in her elbow, but was it hurting enough to receive medical attention? I don't think so. And the only reason I think it was only a minor injury was because NBC aired a clip of her doing the exact same thing in a previous game. She and Wang were trailing, and she started to grab her stomach as if she had some serious cramps. She then received medical attention. Finally at the end of the game (when she and Wang won), she wasn't holding her stomach and seemed to be fine.

Usain Bolt... wow. He is really good. Responding to the article above, I would also like to see him be cordial to the others after the races are over. But you can also make the argument of him just being caught up in his own happiness. He deserves to be celebrating what he has accomplished: 2 gold medals and 2 world records.

I'm a sucker for tears, and when I saw Haley Ishimatsu crying during her interview after her loss, my heart was breaking. She did really well for her very first Olympics ever. And she's only 15 years old. She has many bright things in her future.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

And here are 2 articles that I thought some people would like to read. They're both from Yahoo.

Seven sports vie for 2016 Olympics in Beijing

The seven sports vying for a spot at the 2016 Olympics are using the Beijing Games to promote their cause.

The International Olympic Committee will decide in October 2009 whether golf, rugby, baseball, softball, roller sports, squash or karate will be included in 2016. Two spots will be up for grabs to bring the total to 28 sports.

Baseball and softball are being played in Beijing but were dropped from the program for the 2012 London Olympics, which will have 26 sports. They are seeking reinstatement for 2016, while the five other candidates failed in 2005 to get voted into the London Games.

The IOC wants sports with strong international appeal that will draw crowds.

“We think that the Olympics will be another platform on which golf’s story can be told,” International Golf Federation spokesman Ty Votaw said Tuesday, adding that golf offers viewership in 215 countries and 35 different languages.

Although Tiger Woods has expressed mixed feelings about the idea, Votaw said Olympic golf had the backing of LPGA star Lorena Ochoa and major champions Padraig Harrington, Phil Mickelson and Mike Weir.

“I think Sergio Garcia will probably notice the tear in (Rafael) Nadal’s eye at the gold medal ceremony and what it meant to him after winning Wimbledon to come here and win a gold medal,” Votaw said, referring to the Spanish tennis star’s victory in Beijing. “That kind of achievement is something that I think is something that would be special to our players.”

Three years ago, baseball and softball became the first sports dropped from the games since polo in 1936.

International Softball Federation president Don Porter knows the sport needs to stretch its international reach.

“We want to see our sport become more universal. We’re making good progress. We can make more,” Porter said at a conference organized by the Around the Rings Web site.

International Baseball Federation president Harvey Schiller said baseball wouldn’t make major scheduling changes for the games even if Chicago is selected as the 2016 host city, offering a unique opportunity to showcase major league talent.

“We are not an industry that is going to shut down,” he said. “We will have by 2016 … a representation of the best players in the world from baseball.”

Chicago is competing against Tokyo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and Madrid, Spain, for the 2016 games. The host city will be selected at the same IOC meeting in Copenghagen, Denmark, where the 2016 sports program will be decided.

Schiller also dismissed suggestions that baseball could be hurt by questions over its doping record.

“We’re fully WADA compliant and we’re improving our testing programs,” Schiller said referring to the World Anti-Doping Agency’s rules. “Major League Baseball gets a bad rap.”

Rugby, which would be played as a sevens tournament, is riding high after last year’s World Cup, while squash says it is one of the most mobile sports, able to erect glass courts quickly for audiences of 10,000.

George Yerolimpos, general secretary of the International Karate Federation, told The Associated Press that karate would present a 10-year study to the IOC that examined the scientific and sporting side of the sport. The study is part of a radical plan to move the sport, which is represented by 100 million members in 180 countries, forward.

“We are the most popular martial arts in the world—by far,” Yerolimpos said. “In every corner of the world we have a club. We exist everywhere.”
    Link

I remember someone saying that it's wrong that they're taking out softball only because of USA's domination. It has also been said that they took it out because not many countries are participating, which is understandable. But if the reason for it is the former, then that's not right. But at least it's in contention for the 2016 Olympics.

The mystery of Michael Phelps' missing father

During Michael Phelps' races, camera shots of his mother Debbie were a fixture on NBC. The network showed endless replays of her falling to her seat after that memorable 100 butterfly finish. She even watched one race on camera with Cris Collinsworth, squeezing his knee the entire time. And after her son won his eighth gold medal, Debbie was all over NBC getting interviewed by Bob Costas, Matt Lauer and Meredith Viera. Michael's sisters, Hilary and Whitney were also in Beijing cheering on their little brother. All this coverage of the Phelps family led to one obvious question from our readers: Where was Dad?

It's been well-documented that Debbie and Fred Phelps divorced when Michael was 9. Beyond that, little else has been publicized about Michael Phelps' father. Enter: Fourth-Place Medal's Investigative Unit. Today the FPMIU looks into the mystery of the whereabouts of Michael Phelps' father.

Fred Phelps is a retired Maryland State Trooper, lives in a suburb of Baltimore and has remarried since divorcing Debbie Phelps in 1993. According to the Baltimore Sun, he watched the Olympics from his home, saying he was "on pins and needles" every time Michael dove into the pool. But, the New York Post reported that Fred has yet to call his son to congratulate him on his Olympic accomplishments.

Following the divorce, Fred Phelps had little contact with his son. Prior to the 2004 Olympics, Michael told a reporter that his father hadn't even called to congratulate him when he set his first world record. However, the two reconciled prior to the Athens Games and Fred even made the trip to watch his son win six golds and two bronzes. Since then, however, the relationship has reportedly fractured.

Fred Phelps declines most interview requests, citing a desire to have the focus remain on his son.

Mystery: solved.
    Link

And here's an article about Phelps's dad. The link has a picture of him. It doesn't include much information, but I just thought people would like to read it.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3171090;

Usain Bolt... wow. He is really good. Responding to the article above, I would also like to see him be cordial to the others after the races are over. But you can also make the argument of him just being caught up in his own happiness.
    He is jaw dropping amazing but I agree with the IOC's president that he needs to attain a level of maturity and gamesmanship......this is The Olympics...
    "He still has to mature," Rogge said. "I would love him to show more respect for his competitors. That's not the way we perceive being a champion. But he will learn in time. He should shake hands with his competitors and not ignore them. He'll learn that sooner or later. But (he's) a great athlete, of course."
    CYA

If I could have my pick of those sports (in CrossingGuard's article) I would first choose rugby. It's a lot of fun to watch and I think it has a lot of potential.

I would not choose golf, because I don't think the Olympics would be the most prestigious competition (same reason as to why I think soccer should be out), they have their four majors and those are the big competitions, I don't think the Olymics can change that. Maybe they can over time, but I think it will take quite some time.

Karate, well I'm not so fond of martial arts sports, so I don't know, I do remember thinking it was weird that tae-kwon-do got in and not karate, since karate seems to be a bigger, more well-known sport. Squash, I like to play, but I don't know how it will work for a bigger audience. It is a whole lot more fun to watch than tennis, though.

Baseball/softball. Why are they separated? Yes, I know that they are different, but they have the same core. Boxing is the only sport in the Olympics in which only one gender (men) can compete and they're getting critised for it. So why bring in another sport whicch is exclusively one gender (am I right, baseball is for men and softball for women?)?

Roller sports. I'm not sure what it is, I'm guessing like roller hockey but I don't know anyone else. Therefore I have no opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3170622;

I don't know enough about ADHD to know when drugs are necessary--and I'm sure in some cases drugs are the best way--but I always think it's beneficial all around if the child can be drug-free.
    From personal experience with my own son who is also ADHD, his school encouraged medicating him during the school day to accommodate the learning process. We also got our son involved in swimming as well as many other sports to syphon off some of his energy. But Debbie Phelps was right, if your child finds something he is really interested in, his ability to concentrate is unbelievable.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

As far as sports to be added to the Olympics, I agree that golf should not be one. I play golf. I love watching Tiger and everyone playing the majors, but I would be surprised if you could get TPTB in golf to condone their stable of stars to blow off the events in August prior to the Fed Ex Cup series to play in the Olympics.

As for softball and baseball, I still think that they should be included, but not using any of this international tie breaker crap. Abner Doubleday probably rolled over in his grave when he saw the debacle between the U.S. and Cuba last week.

I'm guessing that karate would be a popular addition too.

BTW, when the IOC said that they ditched polo as the last eliminated sport, didn't they also eliminate the pentathlon? I don't hear anything about that anymore as well.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow;3171146;
    As far as sports to be added to the Olympics, I agree that golf should not be one. I play golf. I love watching Tiger and everyone playing the majors, but I would be surprised if you could get TPTB in golf to condone their stable of stars to blow off the events in August prior to the Fed Ex Cup series to play in the Olympics.
    If golf is one of the sports lobbying to be added, doesn't that indicate that TPTB are condoning it? There are certainly scheduling conflicts, but the same is true with tennis. The US Open starts Monday on the heals of the Olympics, and the US Open Series of tournaments is supposed to take place between Wimbledon and the US Open to up the ante and excitement over the last major of the season. This year, because of the Olympics, the series was pretty much a flop. But I thnk its still very good for tennis, because the passion that the Olympics brings out in the players makes it almost like a fifth major for the season. Not to mention that in the name of playing for your country, you get things like Roger Federer playing (and excelling) at doubles which you'd never really get at any other major tournament.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow;3171146;

BTW, when the IOC said that they ditched polo as the last eliminated sport, didn't they also eliminate the pentathlon? I don't hear anything about that anymore as well.
    The pentathlon is in the Beijing Games.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3171091;

I remember someone saying that it's wrong that they're taking out softball only because of USA's domination. It has also been said that they took it out because not many countries are participating, which is understandable. But if the reason for it is the former, then that's not right. But at least it's in contention for the 2016 Olympics.
    They were talking a bit about this on MSNBC while I was at the gym yesterday, and the commentators mentioned that the European delegates were largely responsible for voting it out, and that was because it's not a big sport over there, and I guess they don't understand it. I would imagine that baseball faces the same issue.

In the interest of examining the geographic diversity, I went and looked up the results from the World Baseball Classic. There were 16 participating countries: Australia, China, Chinese Taipei, Japan, Korea, Cuba, Panama, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Italy, Netherlands, Canada, USA, Mexico, South Africa. Given the popularity in Asia and the Americas, and Australia's recent successes, that's certainly a logical reason.

Interestingly, MSNBC also mentioned that the possibility of softball and/or baseball making it back into the 2016 games depends in part on the location of the games, and for that reason, those that back the sports are hoping that either Chicago or Tokyo will host the games.

If Chicago gets the games, they really ought to include baseball... Olympic baseball at Wrigley sounds pretty cool to me.

+ Reply to Thread