+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

I'm glad Shawn has gold now.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I was happy for both Shawn & Nastia. I agree that is just Nastia's game face. The girl is well trained and she tunes everything out before her events. I like shawn because she is different. I don't expect all gymnast to be tall and thin. There is more than enough room for both kinds of Gymnast in the sport.

Oh gosh, seeing Johnson and Horton's mommas crying tears of joy was making me teary-eyed. They were just so proud of their babies, which they should be because they both did amazing.

After swimming, gymnastics has become my favorite event to watch. I just got so into it. I've grown attached to my favorites (Nastia, Alicia) but still rooted for others like Shawn. Some of the routines were just amazing. Of course, the sport has had its fair share of controversy, or should I say a lot of controversy. But other than those moments that pissed me off to no end (Nastia's silver medal on uneven bars, Alicia getting robbed of the bronze), I've really enjoyed gymnastics.

I must say that I agreed 100% with the results of the men's high bar and the women's balance beam. The Chinese man that won the gold medal on the high bar deserved it. Horton was amazing also and only lost out by 2 hundreths. Horton was amazing in these games. I don't know him personally, but I'm proud of him.

As for the women's balance beam, the results were spot-on. Nastia actually received a higher score from the judges than Shawn did, but Shawn's starting vaule was .5 higher. Finally Shawn gets her gold! Congrats to her. As for Nastia, she has done very well also. Five medals (1 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze) is definitely really, really, really good. Hooray for her! And I think Cheng (the bronze medalist) was judged correctly. She received a 9.100 from the judges, which I believe is about right. I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not a gymnastics expert. But based on what the commentators have said, Cheng shouldn't have had that many deductions. I saw two major balance checks and a step on her landing in her routine, so I think a 9.100 is probably correct.

Did anyone catch the track & field events? Oh my gosh, they were intense! I feel Lolo Jones's pain right now. She had it, she had it! But that damn 9th hurdle. But trying to look at the positives, I think she feels a little bit proud of herself for at least finishing the course and still coming in 7th after she tripped on the hurdle. But congrats to Dawn Harper! No one thought she could win, and yet she managed to do so.

Then there was Sanya Richards. She lost the gold medal in the 400m, even though she was the favorite to win. She still managed to get the bronze, so good for her. She later said that she said her leg was cramping in the middle of the race. Eh... I don't want to say if that was her just making an excuse or if that actually happened. But yeah, I don't know.

I'm excited for the women's beach volleyball final tomorrow!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

The opening ceremony was AMAZING! I can't believe that actual people did all of that. Wow.

I'm excited that Phelps got the 8 golds.. I watched history be made.. that is so cool. (I didn't see Spitz win his 7).

And Jonathan Horton is a cool guy, I like him.

Also, I don't know if this has been posted here or not, but here is the USA Today website that covers the Olympics.
    Olympics News: Coverage & Results for Past & Future Olympic Games - USATODAY.com
    Last edited by TV_Junkie; 08-20-2008 at 08:22 AM.
    ~Supernatural Addict~

for Phelps getting his 8 medals!

Yes, I saw LoLo Jones in the hurdles. She had it! She was so far ahead of the others. She must be dying inside. But, her tragedy let our Canadian get the bronze!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I think for the most part there has been a bunch of good sportsmanship. That, to me, is the most important thing. I mean, the medals are great, (don't get me wrong), but when you can be happy for the person who beat you, because they were a great competitor, that's just awesome!

What I watched last night was a joy-not just Americans on NBC, but everyone!

I don't want to ruin the results for anyone who wants to watch the NBC coverage later so I'll use spoiler tags about the Men's 200:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Usain Bolt is unbelievable. It's his 22nd birthday and he broke the world record in his 8th race in 6 days. Wow. Just wow.
    Last edited by Mariner; 08-20-2008 at 11:33 AM.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3170067;
    The only time I've seen her with a 'bitch' face on, is when she was cheated out of a gold medal for uneven bars because of the IOC's stupid rules regarding ties in gymnastics.
    However, I'm sure anyone would look majorly pissed off if they were subjected to that.

Oh yeah, that was the dumbest decision ever. They both should have gotten a gold.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3169437;
    For real?!!! I LOVE THAT! Yeah, Lindsay Lohan would just add drama to the Phelps family!!! I heard rumors that he's dating Amanda Beard. They're good friends, both very attractive and Olympic medalists...so maybe it's just a rumor. But sorry if it's true, Amy Lee. (You've still got dreamy Wentworth...)

Since Amanda pretty much trashed Phelps on Johnjay and Rich's radio show yesterday morning.. I am going to assume they are not an item. I think he can do better to be honest.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Amanda Beard Denies Dating Michael Phelps – But Says He's Not 'Nasty' - Olympics Summer 2008, Michael Phelps : People.com

Amanda Beard Denies Dating Michael Phelps But Says He's Not 'Nasty'
    By Cynthia Wang

Olympic swimmer and model Amanda Beard swears she was just joking around Tuesday when she went on the air with 93.7 KRQ Tucson's Johnjay and Rich in the Morning. Familiar with the crew, she mock-suffered through questions about her romantic life, specifically rumors that she's dating Beijing Games hero Michael Phelps.

Asked point blank what their status was, Beard stated, "I am not dating Michael Phelps." When pressed on whether they'd ever kissed, the 26-year-old used her best Valley Girl delivery to say, "Eww! No. Come on." Then, when told that Phelps might dream about dating her, she replied, "Eww, that's so nasty! ... Come on, I have really good taste."

Now Beard is catching flak for her flippancy and she wants to set the record straight. "Everyone who knows me knows I can be a jokester, but I guess I took it too far," the four-time Olympian tells PEOPLE. "I never meant to say anything rude about Michael. I am 100-percent sorry for what I said. I take full responsibility for it."

Beard, speaking earnestly, adds, "When we are sitting in the stands, we are very grateful that Michael swims for the U.S. It's cool to be a part of the team on which Michael won eight gold medals. We know each other and Michael is like my little brother. He jokes around me all the time and it's all good-natured. But obviously people who don't know me can take it the wrong way."

For Phelps's part, the 23-year told Extra that he has a celebrity crush on Cameron Diaz and insisted, "No, I'm not dating Amanda Beard. I'll say that. I think she has a boyfriend."

He would be right: Beard has been dating a photographer for the past three years. "He's been here [at the Olympics] he's always with me," she says of her boyfriend. "He's totally fine with [the romance rumors]. This is just the way things go sometimes. But to Michael, I am so sorry for the things I said."

+ Reply to Thread