+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 67 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

FORT Fogey

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

i am not sure the game will go to asia

2008-bejiing
    2012- london

the ioc is trying to more it around a bit expecially that south american never hosted it.
    the only problem a see with brazil is that they are hosting the world cup 2014

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3169516;
    i am not sure the game will go to asia

2008-bejiing
    2012- london

the ioc is trying to more it around a bit expecially that south american never hosted it.
    the only problem a see with brazil is that they are hosting the world cup 2014
    My info came from the IOC voting ballot info that was made public. So I kinda feel that Japan may have an edge.

The us has had games close to one another.. 2002 SLC Utah (albeit winter games) and Atlanta in 1996.. I dont see that as being a factor. To be honest I see the fact this is the first South American Bid that the IOC has acctpeted in like forever to be a factor that would go against South America as well. There has to be reasons there as well
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3169576;
    My info came from the IOC voting ballot info that was made public. So I kinda feel that Japan may have an edge.

The us has had games close to one another.. 2002 SLC Utah (albeit winter games) and Atlanta in 1996.. I dont see that as being a factor. To be honest I see the fact this is the first South American Bid that the IOC has acctpeted in like forever to be a factor that would go against South America as well. There has to be reasons there as well
    Now that I think about it Mexico was in 1968, cripes that was 40 yrs ago. That was the last time the Olympics was held south of the border. Canada had them in Montreal in 1976. US had them twice in LA, then Atlanta, oops forgot St Louis in 1904. In fact the US has held 4 Summer Games and 3 Winter Games...wonder if that is a record?? Yeap, its time for the southern part of the New World to have a Summer Games. But who can afford it? I would say something snarky about a certain countries drug lords being able to back the games but I will restrain myself.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3169639;
    Now that I think about it Mexico was in 1968, cripes that was 40 yrs ago. That was the last time the Olympics was held south of the border. Canada had them in Montreal in 1976. US had them twice in LA, then Atlanta, oops forgot St Louis in 1904. In fact the US has held 4 Summer Games and 3 Winter Games...wonder if that is a record?? Yeap, its time for the southern part of the New World to have a Summer Games. But who can afford it? I would say something snarky about a certain countries drug lords being able to back the games but I will restrain myself.
    Rio has security issues as well as locations for the main venues. They had some huge traffic and transportation issues at the Pan American Games that have made the IOC think that it would not be a convenient location .

The US OC said that in Chicago the private sector would bare most of the burden other than infrastructure which would be the state/city. Chicago also has a good chance because of the 1904 games.. they won but then IOC agreed to let them move to St Louis to be in with the Worlds Fair.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3169304;
    I DVR'ed the show tonight but can someone please explain to me why nastia and the chinese chick have the same score and she (nastia) is listed with a silver medal?

Seriously... this gymnastic scoring stuff is getting ridiculous...lots of experts are even coming out and complaining about what is going on here.
    If you look at the rules you will see a * and a ** in case of tie.

* tie goes to the pre teen.

** tie goes to the Host team.

Did anyone see the mens trampoline? The athlete must stay in the center when jumping. The Canadian athlete thought he had won, he had stayed in the middle. NOPE! The guy that jumped out was the winner.

I'm rooting for Chicago or Rio. Chicago because it's the closest to California, and there's a good chance that I would be able to travel there if the Olympics were to be held there. And Rio only because South America has never held one, and it'd be nice to see a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3169477;
    I suppose the answer would be that the scoring in gymnastics is mostly subjective based on their execution of the moves along with the level of difficulty. Swimmers are judged only by the clock, there are no judges scores to pick apart in case of a tie.
    See, that was my best guess.

But I still don't like it.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Santiago, Chile could host if they wanted to. The economy is booming, and they have a good transit system. The problem is the seasons are reversed. Although the weather is still good enough to be considered "summer" the smog is really bad.

More controversy in swimming: Wouldn't you think they would have checked the stringent rules first, and brought a second swimsuit just in case? Or maybe, it's just a case of "politics" to try and get a team that's favored to medal, out before they hit the water? Shame: Something seems fishy

I'm surprised the Canadians were allowed to wear their new state-of-the-art suits. They were pratically see-through

Swimsuit Controversy: Spain's Synchronized Swimmers Illuminated Swimwear Banned
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Olympic aren't all about Michael Phelps in the pool. In another story from the Olympic pool Spain's Synchronized Swimmers have sparked a swimsuit controversy with their lighted swimsuits and Spain's synchronized swimmers' suits have been banned by the Olympic committee in charge of such things.

What are the Olympics without a little controversy? And while this time it is a bit easier than trying to figure out how old the gymnasts from China really are the officials this time have banned the suits saying that the lights they use that they hoped would give them a little more "sparkle" were an accessory and cannot be used in competition.

To make the lights on the suits glow and show off Spain's Synchronized Swimmers the designers used some sort of a battery and some officials are concerned that problem alone should be enough to have the suits banned. The official word from down high at the international swimming federation FINA is that the lights on the suits are an accessory.

That means they likely will not be allowed to use the illuminated swimsuits and the suits will be banned. The Spaniards are favored to win a medal in the event.

National Ledger - Swimsuit Controversy: Spain's Synchronized Swimmers Illuminated Swimwear Banned
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3169685;
    Did anyone see the mens trampoline? The athlete must stay in the center when jumping. The Canadian athlete thought he had won, he had stayed in the middle. NOPE! The guy that jumped out was the winner.
    I saw the women's trampoline. At one point they said that you had to stay in the middle and then later said that staying in the middle just indicates more skill and results in higher scores. I was confused at that point and never got a satisfactory final word on it.

I'm disappointed that baseball and softball are being taken from the Olympic games. Apparently the committee wants Dream Teams or no teams. Why would pro baseball in the US give 20 of their top players a 3 week leave at the end of the season when playoff spots are determined? They should count their blessings that they get our second string players. As for the softball, that is an outrage. Because the US has been so dominate, it's not a level playing field? What about the Chinese in diving or the Jamacan's in sprints?

Bob Costos voiced the same upset I experienced with the sprinter, Bolt, in his first race. Disrespect. If he had acted the same way after the race as he did at the end of it, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

How did Michael Phelps become wealthy? Sponsorship? Endorsements?

Maybe they could get Dr Brennan from the show "Bones" to assess the real age of the Chinese gymnasts.
    Last edited by dberk; 08-19-2008 at 09:04 PM.

I was trying to find some rhythmic gymnastics to watch on youtube and found some. I am absolutely astounded as at first I thought "men's rhythmic gymnastics" had to be a joke.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 08-20-2008 at 01:21 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread