+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

CCL

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

I didn't see all of it but the drummers were literally awesome.

I'm with myrosiedog with regards to politics and the Olympics. That was the original tradition with the greek city-states - every four years they would put aside their differences, call a truce to any conflicts, and come together to compete. Anyhow, no country is perfect. But just to see the sheer pride on the Chinese faces during the opening ceremonies... beautiful.
    Last edited by CCL; 08-08-2008 at 09:37 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3160350;
    I didn't see all of it but the drummers were literally awesome.

I'm with myrosiedog with regards to politics and the Olympics. That was the original tradition with the greek city-states - every four years they would put aside their differences, call a truce to any conflicts, and come together to compete. Anyhow, no country is perfect. But just to see the sheer pride on the Chinese faces during the opening ceremonies... beautiful.
    I DVRed it so I can skip breaks.. and I am in Awe... this is beautiful. As already said China has its issues.. but this Vision of Art, Beauty, and Harmony is amazing. I dare say it has made me tear up a few times
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3159903;
    Gymnasts have to be 16 or turn 16 in 2008. But there has been a big kerfluffle about one Chinese gymnast who is allegedly really 14 but whose official documents list her as 16.
    Thanks for that. I knew there was a set age for gymnastics. But there's no universal age minimum, right? 'Cause during the opening ceremonies, one of the divers for Spain (? I think) was a 14-year-old boy.

I love the opening ceremonies of the Olympics, but why must they be so loooooong?

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

LOL thats part of the reason I DVRed it. here is a break like every 10 min ... I ran about 25 min over atfer starting it 90 min in give or take.

Have to admit the lighting at the end was amazing. And that little boy with Yao Ming got to me, he was so cute
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Not long ago they showed George & Laura Bush watching through binoculars, then we all laughed because GW checked his watch. I don't blame him!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I was checking my watch also. I swear it gets longer each olympics,lol

Just finished here in California. The opening ceremonies were beautiful. I especially loved the drums in the very beginning. Very cool. I also liked how the painting (the one the dancers began) turned out after every olympian stepped on it with the stamps.

A little fun fact: I go to the school that Kerri Walsh went to, so I'm definitely rooting for her and Misty in their quest to defend their title.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 08-09-2008 at 03:16 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

What an amazing and memorable ceremony, certainly the best out of the past few opening ceremonies and even arguably one of the best ever. It'll be difficult to top this, but I wasn't surprised either because I expected China to come up with some artistically and visually stunning performances. Excellent work and what a great start to the olympics!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3160543;
    Not long ago they showed George & Laura Bush watching through binoculars, then we all laughed because GW checked his watch. I don't blame him!
    We laughed at that too. They kept cutting to him and Laura looked like she was having the time of her life, he looked bored as hell. At one point he was drumming his little American flag on his knee.

I DVR'ed it too to skip commercials. I have to admit that my favorite part was watching that little boy that survived the earthquake with Yao Ming.

I LOVE the parade of nations. I love to see what they wear. Hungary's women's outfits made them look like they had been victims of multiple shootings and one country looked like they copied their blazers from Captain Kangaroo, but aside from that, I love to see the counties that wear traditional costumes. However, my ONLY complaint is that that is what makes it so long (but I'm glad they show it) and why oh why did they keep playing Scotland the Brave on the bagpipes over and over and over during that parade? I admit to getting goosebumps when I usually here the pipes play that, but after last night, I don't want to hear it for a long time.

The opening was spectacular. Loved the drummers and everything else. Hated listening to Bob Kostas run off at the mouth. After he had talked and talked to fill air time, he kept saying all the things the Chinese had invented: Paper, printing, magnetic compass, etc. we did entertain ourselves from that point by saying "You know the Chinese invented that" every time Kostas said something.

I also liked that giant painting they did and the fact that every athletes footprints are on it now.

I also got all goosebumpy when they talked about the guy that carried the American flag. We heard an interview with him about his experiences in the Sudan as a kidnapped boy soldier and how he managed to escape and eventually get to America. And how his foster family had to teach him how to shower and all the little things you don't think about and how well he's done and then became a natualized citizen, made the US Olympic team and got voted by his teammates to carry the flag. Very inspirational story. I'm really pulling for him.

I just read this morning that relatives of the US men's indoor volleyball coach were attacked in a random attack in Beijing and one was killed and one seriously wounded today. So sad.

So can't wait to start watching sports. I think today is swimming.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread