+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 67 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

FORT Fogey

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

why wasn't he at the stadium? coaching?

Cathy Rigby was the Worst.Commentator.Ever. When she wasn't actively cheering for the American team or gushing about the way some American pointed a toe, she was prattling on about how wonderful it would be to have the beam exercise set to music.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3164693;
    why wasn't he at the stadium? coaching?
    He is no longer a coach of the American team. Maybe retired? I didn't catch why. He appears to be working as a commentator for NBC because Bob Costas seems to be talking to him regularly to get his take on the events.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3164723;
    He is no longer a coach of the American team. Maybe retired? I didn't catch why. He appears to be working as a commentator for NBC because Bob Costas seems to be talking to him regularly to get his take on the events.
    His wife is running the program, she is seen on the event floor.. always hugging the girls She has been a wonderful supporter of them all in good and bad. You can always hear her telling them how great they did and they will be fine and she is proud... always with a warm smile!

I found this on Wiki:

Bela was banned from the floor of the Beijing games for undisclosed reasons, though Karolyi has been exceptionally critical of the Chinese team because of the controversy surrounding the age of their gymnasts.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fogey

He appears to be working as a commentator for NBC
    i have no ideas of the words that are coming out of his mouth

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3164733;
    Me either. I like Bela, but I find him extremely hard to understand. His wife sure seems wonderful. I bet the girls she coaches love her.

What did Mark Spitz say? I missed it.

All sports commentators are just windbags, they can't have dead air, so they just talk and stupid stuff just spews out. There are 2 that cover Florida football games that I have to mute the tv they are so ridiculous and they are also negative. It seems like all the commentators focus on the negative. Like when Katie Hoff won the silver and they asked her something about not winning the gold and she replied she thought she had done pretty well.

And while I like Phelps and applaud his athleticism, his wins, his aplomp under pressure both in the pool and in front of the cameras, it's getting ridiculous with his coverage. You'd think the man found a cure for cancer, AIDS and the energy crisis, all in one fell swoop.

Ok am I the only one that thinks speed walking is a silly sport? I mean, I think about the only time anyone should speed walk is in the airport when they are late for their plane. (not to offend any speed walkers on here, just sayin.......)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3164747;
    Ok am I the only one that thinks speed walking is a silly sport? I mean, I think about the only time anyone should speed walk is in the airport when they are late for their plane. (not to offend any speed walkers on here, just sayin.......)
    Is speed walking an Olympic sport? I can see the value in it for general health reasons, but I wouldn't expect to see it in the Olympics...

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3164733;
    The words I do understand I love. I love the enthusiasm, I can remember the years when American gymnasts had no chance to medal at all.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I can't understand Bela when he speaks either.

I thought it was kind of weird when the men's swimming relay team were on the podium and Phelps and Ryan were laughing and talking while the anthem was playing. The other two swimmers on the team (from what they showed) seemed to just be singing along and enjoying their moment. I wanted to say, "Boys! Stop giggling like schoolgirls and just wait until you're off the podium to gossip."

That just really annoyed me for some reason.

I did enjoy watching the actual race though.

I'm sick of all this talk about the age. I don't care anymore. Everyone knows what the rules are and no one is going to do anything about it so whatever.

I'm probably one of the few here who doesn't like Paul Hamm. Great gymnast, but kind of an a-hole. At the Athens games, he was the superior gymnast overall to the South Korean who got screwed by a clerical error basically. But in that one performance (on the high bar), the South Korean had the better routine. He (the South Korean) had the higher level of difficulty and had they taken that into account would've gotten a higher score than Hamm--enough to win the gold. Hamm sounded completely ungracious in his win and basically sounded entitled to the win. Poor sportsmanship. Now if it had happened to him, he would've been screaming bloody murder that he got screwed.

MRD

Speed walking is indeed an Olympic sport. They call it race walking and it's part of the track and field events.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread