+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

FORT Fogey

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Welcome to CHina!! and its antics

It seems to me that the Chinese are all about "face", and they are probably just now understanding that they lost major "face" with the switch.

I am really enjoying watching what I can. I loved watching the diving and enjoy that the woman tells it like it is without regard to who the represented country is. She has been fair throughout. I thought the Chinese duo were great, as well as the Germans. I thought it was nice to see the 14 (16) yr old from England. Can you imagine him in 4 years?

The American swimmers have done outstanding so far. Who would have thought that we'd have a 41 yr old who could still compete? The gymnasts did great with their bronze. I wonder what the women will do tonight.

I think the girls look so young is that they keep their body fat so low so long that what regular puberty does not set in and we end up seeing girls that ar 16 , 17, 18 with bodies of 10 yr olds.
    That's what bothers me so, I mean is that a normal way for a young girl to develop? I think it's kind of sick in a way. I saw Dominique Dawes on the Today Show this morning, and boy does she have boobs now. She didn't have them 12 years ago at the age of 16 or 17 when she competed, this at a time when a girl's body should be developing them. Just seems wrong to me to force young girls to forgo normal growing up. You can bet that none of them probably got their periods until they were in their 20's. Something is wrong with that.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Elizabeth;3163707;
    That's what bothers me so, I mean is that a normal way for a young girl to develop? I think it's kind of sick in a way. I saw Dominique Dawes on the Today Show this morning, and boy does she have boobs now. She didn't have them 12 years ago at the age of 16 or 17 when she competed, this at a time when a girl's body should be developing them. Just seems wrong to me to force young girls to forgo normal growing up. You can bet that none of them probably got their periods until they were in their 20's. Something is wrong with that.
    I have relatives who were deported to Siberia during WWII and they were basically on starvation diets. I remember my dad showing us a film of some of the boys after they were relocated and they all looked like they were 12 yrs old but were actually 16 and 17 yrs old. My mom also told me because the diet was so minimal that many ladies stopped their periods and folks developed night blindness and bleeding gums and loose teeth. It was not uncommon for many girls to have their first periods at 16 or 18 yrs of age.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Elizabeth;3163399;
    Well, you may be right, but doesn't there seem to be something wrong with that? It seems to be almost a case of arrested development. Not very normal. I don't know, but this has bothered me for years. I think it's pushy parents. Very much like stage mothers. It just doesn't sit right with me.
    Most female gymnasts have arrested their physical development via dieting and intense training. That's why you see, when they quit competing, they grow a few inches and start filling out more, not to mention finally menstruating and stuff. It's not a new development.
    I read recently where one of the coaches of another team said that he thought the American women gymnasts might be doping because they were too muscular. So I guess someone is going to complain either way - this one looks too young, this one looks too muscly....

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard
    ETA: I'm surprised that no one has talked about Kirsty Coventry yet! Either that, or I just didn't read it. The girl is awesome. She's definitely representing her country of Zimbabwe well.
    She has done amazingly well. I wonder what her situation is with regards to her home country and Mugabe's rule. I know they said she trained and went to college in the US.

Has anyone seen the little piggy Olympic logos that Google has been using on its homepage? They're pretty cute.
    Last edited by CCL; 08-12-2008 at 02:55 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3163386;
    Sorry guys, I LOVE beach volleyball! I grew up in a volleyball-centric house in Huntington Beach and I'd be really disappointed if they got rid of beach volleyball. The two types of volleyball are very different and I enjoy watching both of them. When the Games were in LA in '84, my mother's boss organized the volleyball venue, so we saw so many games (in addition to a day of track & field and the closing ceremonies). I never played as a kid, but I've always loved watching it.

I also enjoy synchro swimming. I also really love watching diving and swimming and yeah, anything that puts beautiful boys in very little clothing.

As for them getting rid of softball, I think the major beef is that the same country has won the gold every time with very little challenge from the other countries. The other teams just get creamed by the American softball team every time. I'm not saying I think they should get rid of it, but I can see their point.
    What I don't get is archery and shooting. Not exciting to watch and, while they take loads of concentration, they don't require the competitors to be in prime physical condition. Maybe I'm wrong there....

It's beyond me why NBC thinks Bob Costas is the end-all be-all. I can't stand that rude little man. Even slimy Jim Lampley is better than Costas and that's saying a lot.

ETA: I LOVED seeing that 33 year old woman competing on the German gymnastics team! She even made the event finals on vault!
    I too love Beach VB.. in fact.. I like it more. It is very different, and must be played differently. To me, this is the best way to play it, on the beach, in the sun, in a swimsuit.. or damn near I was also a HUGE Karch Kiraly fan, so that helped lol. I also think its harder to play because of the outdoor conditions, the sand, and the fact that there are only 2 people on a team.

I agree, why get rid of women's softball.. its about as unfair as it gets. Yet another sport I love to watch in the games. I myself am not a fan of Boxing.. thats the one thing i just can't get in to. I was never a fan growing up but did watch Ray Boom Boom Mancini and a few others.. but it just doesn't do it for me here.

I also love watching Archery, I may be the only one Wasn't Geena Davis trying to get on the team one year? 2000 maybe? I know it was a while back
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3163774;
    I agree, why get rid of women's softball.. its about as unfair as it gets. Yet another sport I love to watch in the games.
    The reasoning behind getting rid of women's softball is that the Americans always win gold and that not enough countries play the sport so there is not a lot of entries. I don't think the first reason is very valid. The second one might be.
    Archery, I may be the only one Wasn't Geena Davis trying to get on the team one year? 2000 maybe? I know it was a while back
    Yes, I recall that. She didn't make the team but kudos for her for trying.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

actually they say there not that many entries in the softball and baseball tournament same reason they did not allow cricket but i am puzzled with Karate, you have judo but no karate?

I agree with a lot of the recent comments here. The woman who did the sync diving commentary was very good! Much better than the swimming correspondent.

I was so happy for the US men's gymnastics team! I was sorry to see the Hamm brothers out, but I am also so glad to see some other guys get a shot at the Olympics! I got a little teary watching the other alternate in the stands. He seemed so happy for them, and yet part of him had to be wishing he was down there also. I am looking forward to watching the women tonight!

That is terrible about that little girl who was deemed "not pretty enough" to represent her country! I thought she looked mush more endearing than the girl they chose to be the public face of the performance. In sports where there are many talented athletes in China (gymnastics, diving), it makes me wonder if they also weed out their athletes based on their looks!?!?

It has been a great Olympics so far!!

ETA: I am not a big beach volleyball fan, but I can see its place in the games. However, I thought the big to-do they made over finding the American woman's wedding ring was a bit much. Of course it was valuable and important to her, but I was surprised she wasn't actually there helping them look for it. Then they had the big hoopla over having the guy who found it give it back to her on camera. Blah, blah, blah. She lost her ring, she got it back - I don't think it required the huge production they made it into. Both she and the guy who found her ring looked a bit uncomfortable with it.

FORT Fogey

In sports where there are many talented athletes in China (gymnastics, diving), it makes me wonder if they also weed out their athletes based on their looks!?!?
    i won't be surprised by that.

+ Reply to Thread