+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3163357;
    OMG, if you aren't watching the Men's Gymnastic finals, you need to BE!! I am so excited for these guys!

It is streaming live on nbcolympics.com if you can't get it on TV.

GO TEAM USA!!
    I am I am loving this.. they look amazing. I have to admit Id rather watch the men over the women latey.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

OMG, if you aren't watching the Men's Gymnastic finals, you need to BE!! I am so excited for these guys!

GO TEAM USA!!
    They were scaring me on the high bar! Incredible performances though.

I'm hoping they'll show the 200 IM semis, but I'm betting not.

GO TEAM USA!!
    Holy Cow!! These men are absolutely amazing! That triple back dismount thing--heck, I couldn't even count that quick! I am so excited for them, too!! And they seem to have a great team dynamic!!!

WOO HOO USA!!!
    When you judge others, you do not define them. You define yourself. ~Wayne Dyer

Premium Member

The men's high bar was amazing. I've been loving the swimming, too.

The Olympic swimming trials were held in Omaha, and since Mutual of Omaha is one of their sponsors, they have had this banner up on the side of their main building all summer. The building is 14 stories high, it's pretty impressive when you drive right by it. I took these photos on my way home from work one morning. I thought it was a really cool way to honor the swim team.

I've been loving the men's diving (even if synchronized) -- not so much for the diving per se, but in wonderment of how the teeny-weeny Speedos stay on and don't wedgie up!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Sorry guys, I LOVE beach volleyball! I grew up in a volleyball-centric house in Huntington Beach and I'd be really disappointed if they got rid of beach volleyball. The two types of volleyball are very different and I enjoy watching both of them. When the Games were in LA in '84, my mother's boss organized the volleyball venue, so we saw so many games (in addition to a day of track & field and the closing ceremonies). I never played as a kid, but I've always loved watching it.

I also enjoy synchro swimming. I also really love watching diving and swimming and yeah, anything that puts beautiful boys in very little clothing.

As for them getting rid of softball, I think the major beef is that the same country has won the gold every time with very little challenge from the other countries. The other teams just get creamed by the American softball team every time. I'm not saying I think they should get rid of it, but I can see their point.

What I don't get is archery and shooting. Not exciting to watch and, while they take loads of concentration, they don't require the competitors to be in prime physical condition. Maybe I'm wrong there....

It's beyond me why NBC thinks Bob Costas is the end-all be-all. I can't stand that rude little man. Even slimy Jim Lampley is better than Costas and that's saying a lot.

ETA: I LOVED seeing that 33 year old woman competing on the German gymnastics team! She even made the event finals on vault!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3163370;
    The men's high bar was amazing. I've been loving the swimming, too.

The Olympic swimming trials were held in Omaha, and since Mutual of Omaha is one of their sponsors, they have had this banner up on the side of their main building all summer. The building is 14 stories high, it's pretty impressive when you drive right by it. I took these photos on my way home from work one morning. I thought it was a really cool way to honor the swim team.

WOW, Marleybone! Thank you so much for sharing. What a neat thing to do!!
    When you judge others, you do not define them. You define yourself. ~Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3163170;
    I always think gymnasts look much younger than they are. They are all so tiny and even talk like little girls...that includes the American gymnasts.
    Well, you may be right, but doesn't there seem to be something wrong with that? It seems to be almost a case of arrested development. Not very normal. I don't know, but this has bothered me for years. I think it's pushy parents. Very much like stage mothers. It just doesn't sit right with me.
    Susan

The Men's gymnastics team grabs the Bronze! YAY! I am always missing Paul and Morgan Hamm but for a team that was 2/3 alternates, YAY!!

I am watching Natalie Coughlin in the metal ceremony and the poor thing has bitten her lips to death, lol!

Man people, I am off to bed. Another great day of Olympic competition in the books!

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I felt bad for Kevin Tan after he kind of screwed up there at the end and got a not-so-great score. He's the coach of the Penn State gymnastics team. I'm glad the team got the Bronze. Everyone pretty much threw these guys to the curb before tonight.
    Wake up and be awesome

+ Reply to Thread