+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Re: Summer Olympics: Beijing, China

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Elizabeth;3163069;
    Yikes! No intention to upset? Well, good grief, what was their intention? As far as the female gymnasts? That sport has bothered me for a long time, irrespective of the countries. These children don't get to experience childhood, same thing with Ice Skating, but worse.
    I always think gymnasts look much younger than they are. They are all so tiny and even talk like little girls...that includes the American gymnasts.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Oh wow, that photo is definitely going to cause some controversy!

Did anyone else catch Team USA in gymnastics? They seem to be totally close, which is very endearing. But all throughout the competition, they had a look of disappointment on their faces. They knew that they weren't doing their best at all, and I felt bad for them.

And speaking of the gymnastics team, I really like the girl, but who names their kid Nastia? No offense to anyone named Nastia (but I doubt any of you are named Nastia, that's the first time I've heard it) or at least know someone named Nastia, but the girl was probably made fun of a lot for her name. I mean, c'mon, Nastia?

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3162667;
    I felt bad about Hoff, too. But I was glad that if she had to lose the gold, it was to the Brit and not one of the favored two. The stupid commentators basically discounted everyone but the French and Italian women--the drama over that stupid useless boyfriend. I heard those commentators flip and flop all evening saying basically, "Oh, it's never going to happen." Two seconds later, "It's happening." "They don't have a shot for a medal," then, "They're going to win a medal." Gees people--if there are 8 people racing, it's anyone's shot to win one of the medals. It's not like they've got me in there swimming for cripe's sake. They've got world class athletes!

The commentators basically retired Hansen. When they interviewed him, he said he wasn't ready to quit yet. He may not go another 4 years for the Olympics but I think he wants to race a few more times.
    I found that hilarious also! The commentators were going on and on about how the Italian woman was the favorite and that it was her race to lose. And then there was the French woman, who I did feel bad for about the whole boyfriend/naked pictures thing (but the whole story was kinda... stupid, I have to admit). The French woman pretty much had to win this race so that the people of her country could see her as a hero instead of the girl who took naked pictures. And adding to that, she was going against the Italian woman who's dating her ex-boyfriend.

But then all of a sudden, neither of them won! Katie Hoff was pulling ahead, and it looked like no one would catch up. Then she got a little tired and the British woman beat her to the gold. It was a good race...

...but I loved the 4x100 even more. What a great race. But I felt Phelps got a lot of airtime after the race. Commentators kept saying, "Oh my gosh, Phelps' goal is still alive! It's still alive! Phelps can still win 8 gold medals! Oh my gosh, he's still in this everyone! He can still beat Spitz's record! He can still get it!" It's like... shut up, we get it. I like Phelps, but he gets way too much airtime. Lezak deserved to enjoy his time in the spotlight. He was the anchor for the team, and if it wasn't for him, Team USA would not have won that race at all. I'm just saying, let Lezak enjoy the fact that he had one of the fastest times ever (or wait, isn't it the fastest time ever?).

Oh, and that's good to hear that Hansen isn't retiring.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Well, Nastia is a Russian name. Her father is former Russian gold medal gymnast Valeri Liukin. Might as well ask who names a boy Valeri, but it's a fairly common male Russian name.

I don't think it's for me to judge what parents choose to name children. Most have a reason behind the names. I can think of only two that made me blink. One was a classmate of my husband's whose first name was Silva and last name was Dollah. The second was a girl in my son's class in middle school whose name was ReJoyce. Her mother's name was Joyce.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3163182;
    Well, Nastia is a Russian name. Her father is former Russian gold medal gymnast Valeri Liukin. Might as well ask who names a boy Valeri, but it's a fairly common male Russian name.

I don't think it's for me to judge what parents choose to name children. Most have a reason behind the names. I can think of only two that made me blink. One was a classmate of my husband's whose first name was Silva and last name was Dollah. The second was a girl in my son's class in middle school whose name was ReJoyce. Her mother's name was Joyce.
    Reading my comment again, I can see that it was a little harsh. Sorry about that.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3163182;

I went to school with a kid named Sperry Pancake, and his sister was named Jemimah. I not making this up.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3163171;
    And speaking of the gymnastics team, I really like the girl, but who names their kid Nastia? No offense to anyone named Nastia (but I doubt any of you are named Nastia, that's the first time I've heard it) or at least know someone named Nastia, but the girl was probably made fun of a lot for her name. I mean, c'mon, Nastia?
    Isn't her real name Anastasia, and Nastia just a nickname/professional name? At least that's what I thought...

FORT Fogey

how about "sweet spice" no kidding!!! 9th grade

Quote Originally Posted by daddyzgirl;3162674;
    Great 4x100 last night!

Does anyone know if the Opening Ceremonies are going to be rebroadcast? I had them on my DVR and accidently deleted them.

I couldn't find anything on NBC or CSC's websites however maybe someone on here has some insider info?

Thanks!
    You should be able to find complete video at NBColympics.com
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3162636;
    I love the synchonized diving. I am so amazed that they can be so in sync. I think it's kind of cool.

Well I woke up the entire house last night as the American just began to eek it out against the french in swimming. I jumped up and was yelling GO! GO! GO! which got the dogs barking and woke up hubby and daughter who were not amused and not n early as excited as I was to know the relay team had won gold.

See there, French team, that's what trash talking will get you!

I was sad to see Katie Hoff just barely lose the gold medal for the silver. I thought she would make it. But it was nice to see England medal. So many teams don't medal because there are so many powerhouse countries, that while I was said for Katie, I was happy for the British girls.

Those Chinese girls look so young. No way do they look 16. But I have a SIL that is asian and her girlhood pictures, she looks so much younger than she was. But still, I think there was some fiddling with birth certificates and passports in Gymnastics.But how inspiring is the 33 year old woman Gymnast from Germany? I loved her.

It's interesting how the average age of the men gymnasts is mid 20's and the women is 16. The men need so much more strength that they can't get until they are a little older. With the women, it seems that the goal is small and light and flexible and not strength so much.

I also agree that there are some sports that I find questionable in the Olympics. BMX racing is new to the Olympics this year and I thought that was odd.
    I also think that badmiton and ping pong are kind of weird, but that is more my American bias as those sports are very popular in other countries. But beach vollyball? What bothers me is the outfits the women have to wear. The top is modest enough, but how can you fully concentrate on your match when you are constantly tugging on the bottoms to get them out of your butt every 5 seconds?
    And the men don't have to wear anything nearly as ridiculous.

Those swimming suits are somthing. I thought Phelps might actually lose his last night the way he was jumping up and down and had it already pulled way down.
    But I heard that to put them on, they have to put plastic bags on their feet and tape on their fingertips just to get them on. And it looks like they are squeezed tighter than my grandmother's girdle. But it doesn't appear to hamper their swimming at all. Just the opposite. The top FIVE teams broke the world record in that relay last night.

I am so sentimental, but I love seeing the medal ceremonies and hearing the national anthems, even when it isn't ours. I love to see the athletes (from all countries) when they sing their national anthem.
    In China, Chinese tradition considers everyone to be one year old at birth.. I am not sure if there is legal documentation of this or if it is still accepted... but if it is and they do document it, then yeah that WOULD give them a year.

I too was yelling and screaming for the US last night in that Mens 400 event, I was thrilled Jason was the one to pull it out. He now has a Gold, a silver and a bronze. Not to mention Phelps and his quest.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

OMG, if you aren't watching the Men's Gymnastic finals, you need to BE!! I am so excited for these guys!

It is streaming live on nbcolympics.com if you can't get it on TV.

GO TEAM USA!!

+ Reply to Thread