+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: N F L 2008

To the Point

Re: N F L 2008

Must say though, I give Cutler his due...it has to be tough to be figuring out all the diabetes stuff while playing as a starting QB in the NFL. Physical activity, while a great and necessary thing for everyone, especially diabetics, plays havoc with sugar levels.

As a diehard Bronco's fan of twenty years, I am devastated by Shanahan's firing. I cried throughout the press conferences today - it was apparent the respect these two men (Pat Bowlen and Shanahan) have for one another. It is the end of an era. I wish him the best of luck.

As to Jay Cutler I have mixed emotions. I think he is an extremely talented young man and his best is yet to come. Do I think he got a little big for his britches this year? Yes. He probably read a bit too much of his own press. Towards the end of the season, I think he felt it was all on him to win the games and that only increased the dicey throws which led to more interceptions. Has to be a hard position to be in when you watch the defense just follow your opponent down the field. Let's not forget how many injuries the Bronco's suffered this season as well. Went through 8 running backs? Really? Any other NFL teams suffer that this year? Didn't think so.

Phillip Rivers can it. I don't care for him or his attitude at all. I will be rooting for Indianapolis on Saturday, and that is a first as I hate Peyton. Rivers is also believing too much of his own press. They might be division champs and in the playoffs - but he seems to forget they are 8-8. Not exactly championship numbers. I don't see them playing beyond this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3261315;
    As a diehard Bronco's fan of twenty years, I am devastated by Shanahan's firing. I cried throughout the press conferences today - it was apparent the respect these two men (Pat Bowlen and Shanahan) have for one another. It is the end of an era. I wish him the best of luck.

As to Jay Cutler I have mixed emotions. I think he is an extremely talented young man and his best is yet to come. Do I think he got a little big for his britches this year? Yes. He probably read a bit too much of his own press. Towards the end of the season, I think he felt it was all on him to win the games and that only increased the dicey throws which led to more interceptions. Has to be a hard position to be in when you watch the defense just follow your opponent down the field. Let's not forget how many injuries the Bronco's suffered this season as well. Went through 8 running backs? Really? Any other NFL teams suffer that this year? Didn't think so.

Phillip Rivers can it. I don't care for him or his attitude at all. I will be rooting for Indianapolis on Saturday, and that is a first as I hate Peyton. Rivers is also believing too much of his own press. They might be division champs and in the playoffs - but he seems to forget they are 8-8. Not exactly championship numbers. I don't see them playing beyond this weekend.
    I have to disagree. They may not have had the best record but that is not what was needed to win the division. The Champion of the division is the one who has done enough to be on top at the end. Denver didn't have to be in this position they made their own destiny by choking in the last few games and not being able to finish the job. The Chargers are the champs because they had the ability to just win and let the chips fall where they may.

The Colts are definitely beatable as they Chargers have beat them 4 of the last five times they have met including last year in the playoffs in Indy. The big mistake teams make is under estimating a team because of their record.

Phillip handled himself wonderful during the game. The one that came away looking more the fool was Cutler with the odd child like pouting on the sidelines and aloof behavior with his teammates.

To the Point

Everybody tends to see things in the light of their own allegiences. I have no overwhelming allegience to the Chargers or the Colts. I like both with reason. I lived in Indy when Peyton was coming of age. The day we drove into town to make a decision was a Sunday and they were playing at home. It was Peyton's Rookie Season and we actually saw Indy fans carrying signs expressing very negative feelings regarding Peyton. While I'm not a huge Peyton fan, I do recognize his abilities and I don't believe that I will ever forget that sign. He had to prove himself just like all the rest.

I watched Phillip through college. Phillip is a very solid man. He was apparently raised in a very solid family. Mom and Dad moved to the Raleigh area when he played at State to be close, enabling them to attend his games. Phillip married his high school sweetheart while attending NC State (which at the time seemed insane to me) and had his first child before he graduated. While I do think his demeanor can come across as cocky I have never seen it that way. I think he has a huge passion for the game and is majorly competitive. I think that his passion and competitiveness, coupled with his confidence in his own abilities can be off-putting and can be read as something other than flattering. Again, I don't think his approach is a problem. You have to have a strong confidence in yourself, and Phillip especially faced this as sooooo many in the media and in the NFL didn't believe he had what it took to make it. I truly don't think Phillip ever doubted his ability to make it and he does love the game.

There are plenty of players in the NFL, and probably on his own team, that deserve the negative press more than Rivers, however, the media quickly figured that keeping the cameras on Phillip was a good idea. His passion makes it a smart move. They know that his emotion will allow them in for a good news bite. There was actually a recent article on this very thing. While I don't think he is nearly the villain that his detractors would like to make him out to be, I think he probably doesn't spend a whole lot of time worrying about what others think.

As for the game between the Colts and Bolts. My husband will be pulling for Indy...me, I'll probably swing from one to the other. So I guess I'll be pulling for the winner

I feel for shanahan. I may not have love for his team but he is a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3261315;
    They might be division champs and in the playoffs - but he seems to forget they are 8-8. Not exactly championship numbers. I don't see them playing beyond this weekend.
    I still can't get believe that the 8-8 Chargers are in and the 11-5 Patriots are watching from home. A 10-6 team sitting home with a 9-7 division winner, maybe. But three games? Crazy. The entire west was just a black hole when it comes to good football this year.

I have the dumbest question ever! How does a team score two points? Watching the game today, the Cardinals got two points but the other team had the ball. I was so confused. I've only gotten into football in the last year so I don't understand every play or points.
    Yup, with donuts!!

A team can score 2 points on a safety. A safety occurs when the defensive team tackles the offensive team in its own end zone.
    safety (American football score) - American Football Research Guide
    safety
    the act by which one team gains two points when an opponent who possesses the ball: is tackled in his own end zone; runs out of bounds in or behind the end line of his own end zone; fumbles the ball out of bounds in the end zone or across the end line; commits an intentional safety; has a punt blocked, and the ball then goes out of bounds in the punting team's end zone; commits certain penalties, such as holding or intentional grounding, in the end zone; the rarest of scores in American football; safeties are followed by a free kick by the team that allowed the safety from their own 20-yard line.

Well just as I thought. The regular season record doesn't count a hill of beans in the playoffs. What counts is what you do when you get there. When the playoffs start everyone is even. Who cares if you only won 8 games to get there if you take out the opponent.

The Charger's pulled it together down the stretch and the Broncos didn't. If the Patriots had won enough to win the tiebreaker in their division then they also would have been in the playoffs. The Patriots lost to a team that decided to fight back and not let them run away with the division in the Dolphins. The teams who did what was needed to get in are in.

I bet this morning that 8-8 team record means nothing to Peyton Manning who was 12-4 and out of the playoffs early again to the same team.

Well, if the Colt's defense had not committed so many penalties in the OT drive, the Chargers would not have had the free "walk" to the red zone. Seriously. Nothing Peyton could have done about that. That win was clearly due to the Colt's defensive penalties, not the Charger's offense.

I can't believe I am coming to Peyton's defense - I can't stand that guy.

+ Reply to Thread