+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2008 - 2009

Re: Hockey 2008 - 2009

I'm going to voice what's bound to be an unpopular opinion here...but I don't believe this silliness is worth a suspension. Not even close. Yeah, Avery is a jerk, but it's not the NHL's place to defend the honour of Elisha Cuthbert and Rachel Hunter. I read some sniffy sports journalist's column today and he called Avery's comments "anti-female". Oh, spare me the PC rhetoric. If the media is so outraged, then stop printing and filming Avery's locker-room smack-talk about his exes. I think I'm pretty sensitive to anything that could be construed as "anti-female" and a hockey player dissing a couple women he dated doesn't even register on my feminist radar.

And I have to say, I'd be pretty pissed if I had tickets for tonight's game. (No offence to you, ima. ) I do think Avery is a damn fine player and even though Modano is worth the price of admission, Avery is worth watching as well.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I agree, AJane. What he said doesn't deserve a suspension. Avery's attempt to get under everyone's skin shouldn't come as a surprise to the Stars organization or the league. He's always been a loose cannon. That being said, the suspension isn't going to hurt our last place team, IMO. At least we're in the news for something.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Seems to me this suspension is the leagues' way of sending a message to Avery that they're tired of his antics......this is obviously not the first time he has gathered the press to voice derogatory remarks. This is supposed to be a professional sports organization and certain areas should be off limits....as recognized by the majority of players. Avery's teammates are clearly embarrassed by him and don't want his remarks to reflect on their team. I love hockey, but I don't appreciate juvenile tactics like this and think the NHL is better off without Avery. Good riddance.

The Hurricanes have fired coach Laviolette and re-hired Paul Maurice. What the heck was JR thinking?? I agree the team needs something and a coaching change is the easiest, but Maurice? I was so happy to see the last of him when he got canned, but I guess my joy was premature.

On the positive side, Ron Francis is stepping in as Associate Coach. My suspicion is that he's being groomed for the head coaching job, if he decides he wants it eventually.

Canes fire Laviolette, Maurice returns as coach - WRALSportsFan.com
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Denna40;3244672;
    Seems to me this suspension is the leagues' way of sending a message to Avery that they're tired of his antics......this is obviously not the first time he has gathered the press to voice derogatory remarks. This is supposed to be a professional sports organization and certain areas should be off limits....as recognized by the majority of players. Avery's teammates are clearly embarrassed by him and don't want his remarks to reflect on their team. I love hockey, but I don't appreciate juvenile tactics like this and think the NHL is better off without Avery. Good riddance.
    This suspension is the leagues' ie., Gary Bettman, way of getting back at Avery for voicing his opinion that Bettman has ruined the NHL. Sean Avery has been very vocal about the down fall of the NHL is lack of proper marketing.
    Mothers, wives and girlfriends should be off limits but they aren't. It's just that that subject is usually brought up on the ice and not in front of many cameras. I know my name has been brought up on the ice a few times through the years. Usually just before my son scores an awesome goal!
    I think that the reason so many players have criticized the Avery remarks is because they have wives and mothers that they have to answer to.

Being a hockey mom I'd MUCH rather good ole Gary go after the WAY TOO MANY possible career ending illegal hits that continue to take place on the ice vs. going after the little guy (literally) with the big mouth.

Why can't good ole Gary go after both? I'm all for dealing with possible career ending hits.......but Avery's mouth is the type of thing that leads to these hits. What would have happened if he'd been on the ice in the game against Calgary? Avery also has a history of inappropriate, offensive behavior and wasn't exactly loved by his last teammates. I'm thinking there's more to this than just Bettman's possible vendetta. So, again I say good riddance.

No offense taken AJane I'm a Flames fan anyways

Regardless if Bettman had suspended him or not the Dallas Stars would have. I watched Hockeycentral today and Brett Hull was on, he said that Tom Pitman (DS Owner) is usually a hands off type guy but as soon as this happened he stepped in and has become involved. He also said that Sean needs help. It is also not a secret that his current teammates are not supporting him, they think he is an idiot. Brett said that the opinions of Modano, Morrow etc carry a lot of weight with the DS mgmt so I am thinking that Avery may not be a DS for too much longer.

I don't find his comments 'anti-female' but I do find them disgusting and think he may have a hard time getting a girlfriend after this

Crap talk on the field, ice, pitch, whatever happens in every sport but to call in the cameras to say what he said is what I believe to be the issue.

The hearing with Bettman & Campbell goes tomorrow in New York so we will wait and see what happens.
    Last edited by imajunkie2; 12-03-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: had issues with spelling :)

FORT Fogey

Seans' sorry. SO sorry. It sounds sincere.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=493216

I would like to sincerely apologize for my off-color remarks to the press yesterday from Calgary, Avery said. I should not have made those comments and I recognize that they were inappropriate. It was a bad attempt to build excitement for the game, but I am now acutely aware of how hurtful my actions were. I caused unnecessary embarrassment to my peers as well as people I have been close with in the past.

I apologize for offending the great fans of the N.H.L., the commissioner, my teammates, my coaching staff and the Dallas Stars management and ownership. As many of you know, I like to mix it up on and off the ice from time to time, but understand that this time I took it too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3244680;
    The Hurricanes have fired coach Laviolette and re-hired Paul Maurice. What the heck was JR thinking?? I agree the team needs something and a coaching change is the easiest, but Maurice? I was so happy to see the last of him when he got canned, but I guess my joy was premature.

On the positive side, Ron Francis is stepping in as Associate Coach. My suspicion is that he's being groomed for the head coaching job, if he decides he wants it eventually.

Canes fire Laviolette, Maurice returns as coach - WRALSportsFan.com
    Yeah, I thought that was a rather interesting choice. I guess we shall see.

So Avery got a 6 game suspension (retroactive), what does everyone think?

I think Avery's suspension is ridiculous.
    Obviously what he said wasn't particularly pleasant, but I don't think it was deserving of any suspension let alone one that was longer than people have got for hits from behind.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread