+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2008 - 2009

Re: Hockey 2008 - 2009

The tribute to Luc Bourdon had me last night. I'm not a huge Canucks fan but I love the World Juniors and remember him from there. I love the fans reaction when the picture of his draft day was shown and the the season ticket holder gave his family his last game worn jersey. All very classy!

RIP Luc.

The game on the other hand..... what a horrible showing from the flames

Terrible Flames showing.. can you even say showing when it's clear the team didn't show up?!

A beautiful tribute to Luc and what a wonderful song to go with it.

Unbelieveable tragedy with the 1st rounder for NYR. Cherepanov was only 19 and to collaspe and die that way is just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;3216922;
    Unbelieveable tragedy with the 1st rounder for NYR. Cherepanov was only 19 and to collaspe and die that way is just sad.
    Shocking! Do they have any idea why he died so young? I don't know any details.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

NHL.com - Morning Joe: Cherepanov dies during game in Russia - 10/13/2008

Alexei Cherepanov, the New York Rangers' first pick (No. 17) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, has died after suffering an apparent heart attack Monday during a game with Avangard Omsk, his club in the Kontinental Hockey League.

The 19-year-old Cherepanov had 8 goals and 13 points in 15 games this season, his third with Omsk.

Cherepanov had scored the game's first goal in what ended as a 5-4 loss for Omsk against Vityav Chekhov.

"We are extremely saddened by the tragic passing of Alexei," said Rangers General Manager Glen Sather. "On behalf of the New York Rangers organization, I would like to extend our deepest sympathies to his family. Alexei was an intelligent, energetic young man, with tremendous talent and an extremely bright future."

The Rangers had been hoping to bring Cherepanov to New York for the club's prospect evaluation camp or training camp, but with the lack of a formal transfer agreement between the NHL and International Ice Hockey Federation, Cherepanov remained in Russia, with the Rangers hoping to bring him over for the 2009-10 season.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Another another note.....literally.

Alberta teacher wins NHL anthem contest!! WOO HOO!!

'Canadian Gold' voted as new anthem for 'Hockey Night in Canada'

TORONTO — Canadian Saturday nights finally have a new theme song.

After receiving nearly 15,000 entries, the song "Canadian Gold," written by an elementary school teacher from Beaumont, Alta., has been voted as the new anthem for CBC's "Hockey Night in Canada."

Colin Oberst's winning composition was up against "Sticks to the Ice," a piece by 13-year-old Toronto composer Robert Fraser Burke.

Oberst and Burke stood side-by-side as Don Cherry announced the Anthem Challenge winner to a live studio audience in Toronto. The song was then played to kick off the network's Saturday night NHL double header.

In an telephone interview after his composition was declared the winner, Oberst described hearing his music played as part of the introduction to "Hockey Night in Canada."

"It's intense. To see that animation with Gretzky and Bobby Orr, I was absolutely floored," Oberst said as he was arriving at the Air Canada Centre to take in the game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens.

Oberst envisioned his song being the winner, but said he was also prepared for second place.

"I think through my head a million times I heard Robert's and my name, so it was literally 50/50 and it came out with mine," said Oberst, who has taught music for the last 10 years.

The high-profile contest in which the voting public picked a song to replace the original "Hockey Night in Canada" theme was created after CBC lost the rights to the iconic tune earlier this year. The original song is now the property of TSN.

Oberst, an avid music writer and member of an Edmonton-based band, submitted five entries to the challenge.
    Along with hearing his song kick off nationally televised hockey games, Oberst also takes home $100,000 for winning the contest.

"I'm married, I've got two young kids and a mortgage so, as far as the kids' education and my house, I think (the prize money) will go pretty quick," he said.

The songs by Oberst and Burke were selected by voters from the group of finalists and announced on CBC's first night of North American NHL coverage on Thursday night.

The two were then pitted against each other in a head-to-head showdown.

People from across Canada cast their votes by phone, online or by text message.

Often referred to as the country's second national anthem, many Canadians were upset when they learned the CBC had failed to retain the rights to the original "Hockey Night in Canada."

In time, Oberst said he hopes "Canadian Gold" will eventually help fill the void.

"It took quite a few years for the original theme to rise, so I'm just hoping that it does and eventually people will gravitate towards it and be the second anthem."

See the video and new anthem:Video-New Hockey Night In Canada Theme Song - YouTube | NHL

http://The Canadian Press: 'Canadian...in Canada'

I love the original anthem. Hear it again on the same link.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thanks for the link Misskitty. Even though I haven't been able to see Hockey Night in Canada for several years since we haven't been able to afford the Center Ice cable package, I will always have fond memories of the original HNIC theme song. I grew up in Pennsylvania across the lake from Canada, in the pre-cable days. We were able most of the time to pull in Canadian TV with just the antenna, and I fell in love with hockey the first time I saw it.

The new theme song is pretty good, though. I guess I'm in the minority here, but I love bagpipes and I thought it was good touch.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Sean Avery is at it again......... what a freaking idiot! Good thing for him he isn't playing tonight.

The Canadian Press: Avery suspended after making comments about fellow player's girlfriend

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2;3244274;
    Sean Avery is at it again......... what a freaking idiot! Good thing for him he isn't playing tonight.

The Canadian Press: Avery suspended after making comments about fellow player's girlfriend
    I don't know why but this does not surprise me. He has been quiet for a while. I guess maybe because he has been spotlighted on ESPN a few times this season and he doesn't want to jeopardize his future fashion career.

(Technically he is right in that his ex's are making their way to other NHLers. RUDE, but right)

He better hope this fashion/acting career takes off because I don't think he is going to be a NHLer for too much longer. I know he signed a 4 or 5 year deal with the Stars but I am sure if they can get out of it they will. The NHL isn't happy, the Stars management isn't happy and neither are his teammates.

And regardless if he was technically speaking the truth, the way he went about it was disgusting on so many levels. The fact that he called in the cameras, his choice of words, disgusting. I have never liked him as a player and cannot wait for the NHL to tell him to not let the door hit him in the *ss on his way out.

+ Reply to Thread