+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2008 - 2009

Re: Hockey 2008 - 2009

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3097735;
    Sorry. I'm quite pleased with the Avery deal. He'll add the grit and toughness that some of our forwards are lacking.
    I've never watch him play but from what I heard today through Brett Hull, I'm very pleased!

Go Stars!

The only thing Avery is good for is causing the you-know-what to hit the fan. The only thing good about him going to the Stars is that Dion will have more opportunity to put him in his place.

Naslund's gone to Rangers.
    With their existing salaries plus now taking on Redden too it might mean Jagr has to go.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

Just wondered what everyone else's opinion of Brian Burke is? I personally can't believe what a whiney little baby he is after reading the tsn story below.

The GM's are throwing money at the players because the cap moved up so much and they have so much more room to spend. Even the new cap floor ($40mil) is a lot higher the cap after the lockout ($39mil). It's vicious circle that will probably make us suffer another lockout in a year or two.

After signing free agent forward Corey Perry to a five-year extension worth $26.63 million on Tuesday, Ducks general manager Brian Burke had some choice words about the new salary climate in the NHL and Edmonton Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe.

Burke told the Los Angeles Times that the rise in salaries for young players can be traced back to Lowe.

"You go right now from entry-level to what used to be the third contract, thanks to two offer sheets from Kevin Lowe," Burke said to the Times.

"Most [general] managers don't like starting fights with any other managers. . Thanks to the Edmonton Oilers, the second contract has disappeared."

"They're all being re-signed at inflated prices," he explained to the newspaper. "Everything I said a year ago has come true. Every single word."

Burke and Lowe have been at odds since the Oilers put forth a five-year ($21.25 million) offer sheet to Group II restricted free agent Dustin Penner. The Ducks did not match and Penner became an Oiler.

At the time, Burke explained he had no problem with a team putting an offer sheet forward offer sheets but the money involved was the issue.

"I think [an offer sheet] it's a tool certainly a team is entitled to use," Burke said last July. "My issue here is this is the second time this year in my opinion Edmonton have offered a grossly inflated salary for a player, and it impacts on all 30 teams and I think it's an act of desperation by a general manager who is fighting to keep his job."

The Ducks' GM was also critical of the process employed by Lowe and the Oilers.

"I was not notified of this until an agent faxed it into us," Burke told Canadian Press in July. "I thought Kevin would have called me and told me it was coming. I thought that was gutless."

The verbal jabs continued and on the TSN 2007/08 season preview show the Ducks GM had more to say.

"If I had run my team into the sewer like that I wouldn't throw a grenade at the other 29 teams and my own indirectly," said Burke.
    Ducks' Burke blames salary rise on Oilers' Lowe
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

FORT Fogey

Burkey shot himself in the foot when HE did not make Dustin an offer worth signing BEFORE he became RFA. Dustin did NOT want to leave, but he deserved a bit more then just double what he was getting (Penns was the lowest paid rookie in the league at $450,000) He WAS the second in goals for the team, right behind Teemu.
    Face it Bri Baby Burke, YOU screwed up the teams chemistry, can't blame it on no one but YOU!

(I really don't think that Dustin's on ice skills are worth what he is now getting. I know he would have stayed with Anaheim for half that, IF he had been offered it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;3100780;
    Just wondered what everyone else's opinion of Brian Burke is?
    I think he's a pompous windbag.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3103681;
    (I really don't think that Dustin's on ice skills are worth what he is now getting. I know he would have stayed with Anaheim for half that, IF he had been offered it!)
    Agree with you on the skills PugMum. Especially after watching him for 1 year. He did improve throughout the season but it's hard to keep up with Hemsky.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Just found this really cool site that shows all the salaries for the teams and their committments for the next 5 years. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

Edmonton Oilers Salary Cap Commitments

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;3105340;
    Agree with you on the skills PugMum. Especially after watching him for 1 year. He did improve throughout the season but it's hard to keep up with Hemsky.
    Part of Dustin's problem is he that he isn't really self motivated. When he was with the Ducks, Randy Carlyle had to consistently get on his case. That is why his ice time went up and down.
    Over all, he is a really good kid and I am happy for him and his financial success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;3092424;
    Really hope that Erik Cole fits in with our team. He should be good.
    You guys are getting a great player in Erik Cole. He's deceptively fast and gritty, and can score some goals. He's a fan favorite here in Raleigh, and I personally hate to see him go. I hope this trade works out for both teams & players involved. I don't know much about Pitkanen, despite the fact that he played in Philly, but I hope he turns out to be the answer to the Canes defensive woes. I will hate it if we gave up Cole and this doesn't pan out.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread