+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Formula 1

Leo
    Premium Member
    I think he will. Kimi's in a worldful of hurt after that disaster (for him) at Hockenheim, and that McLaren isn't as good compared to the rest as it was at the start of the season. Ferrari's 2003 car isn't all it was cracked up to be, either. That Williams car is handling a whole lot better than the start of the season. Montoya probably has the best chance of anyone.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Ferrari may have had a 3-week holiday (along with everyone else), but I doubt they're feeling good right now. Rubens Barrichello continued his streak of bad luck, with a failed suspension introducing him to a tire wall. Michael Schumacher comes in 8th. Meanwhile, Fernando Alonso took the pole and never looked back, taking his first F1 grand prix victory. Kimi Raikkonen takes second, and Montoya takes third.

The final result:
    1. Alonso
    2. Raikkonen
    3. Montoya
    4. Schumacher, R.
    5. Coulthard
    6. Webber
    7. Trulli
    8. Schumacher, M.
    9. Heidfeld
    10. Button
    11. da Matta
    12. Verstappen
    13. Kiesa

Go Alonso!
    I am so happy for this guy! And for Renault too!
    On another note, I assume you all heard the big "fuss" around the Canadian grand prix, being excluded from the list next year? I'm mad as hell about it but I wonder what are your thoughts?

Fernando Alonso Wins!

Fernando, what are your feelings today?
    FA: Iím still on a high! Pole, a win and the media attention: itís almost too much for one person! Even the King of Spain called me this afternoon to congratulate meÖ Itís the greatest day of my life.

How did the race go?
    FA: The key thing was to get a good start, and I did. After ten laps, I started worrying about where the others were and the team told me I was more than fifteen seconds ahead. From then on, I could control the race as I wanted.

Does this victory mean mission accomplished?
    FA: Yes and no. Letís call it a milestone. A first win is a very important event in an F1 driverís career. My aim, though, is still to be world champion one day. I managed to compete with Kimi and Juan Pablo today, and I hope to be able to do that regularly in the future. Renault will let me do that, I am sure.

Why was the R23B so competitive in Budapest?
    FA: The chassis was fantastic around the Hungaroring, and we knew the circuit characteristics should suit us. Having said that, we didnít think weíd be fighting for the win. Pat Symonds chose a very aggressive strategy, and he was right. We also managed to make up for a slight lack in straightline speed with a set-up that let us be very competitive in the final sector.

Did you have any problems?
    FA: In the last ten laps, I heard strange noises from the engine and the gearboxÖ but they were all in my head!
    Not only did he win, but in style! Lapped schumi, lapped his teammate, was the youngest driver to win a race, youngest driver to be on podium, first time the Spanish national anthem was heard at an F1 race. And quite a long time we've heard La Marseillaise being played played for a constructor! (Last time was 1983 I believe). When I realize this guy was born a year after me, I feel really really old. Congrats Fernando, you dominated this weekend!

*Breaks out the defibrillator*

"CLEAR"

*Successfully resuscitates this thread*

Well looks like that german fellow wins yet another championship. It's not 100% yet - he could always finish (or not finish) out of the points in Japan, while Mika finishes first. I could also become King of England. Neither very likely.

What are your thoughts on this season?

Leo
    Premium Member
    This was only my second season of watching the races themselves, but overall it was a pretty good season. The top four teams were quite competitive with each other for the whole season, and you had no major foul-ups like Austria and the US last year. Not a bad season. Schumacher does deserve the championship, but he's definitely had to work very hard for it.

Just one more thought about McLaren, though. What the hell is wrong with their development car that their 2003 car never made it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456