+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

It looked pretty hard for Schumacher to get out of his car after the race. He just sat in it for like 20 seconds, it looked really emotional for him. His mother died the night before so I can't imagine how he was able to not only run the race but win it. He went on the podium, but not a smile, no champagne, and Jean Todt did the news conference for him.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Leo
    Premium Member
    I can imagine. Still, all due recognition for being a professional and still being at the podium despite his sorrow.

FORT Fogey

I've admired and respected MS since I started watching F1 but yesterday's performance (RS's too) will make Imola 2003 something I'll always remember.

On another note, nothing makes me feel more "this was better back in the day" than the Imola track. Hearing the commentators describe how the turns used to be amazing before all the chicanes were added just too much to bear.

Also, Coulthard is sinking to a new low by advocating the stripping away of Alonso's third place points at Interlagos.

Great race! Go Alonso!

Look at the driver's championship now. Pretty close, looks like it's going to be a great season. As a Renault fan I must say I'm quite happy with the results even though Evil David Coulthard took out Trulli. Oh well, he paid for it in the end!
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Leo
    Premium Member
    Well, we know McLaren boss Ron Dennis had a bad day. Raikkonen's mistake looked pretty stupid, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt - for now.

Alonso is turning out to be quite something. He's only 21 - and if he keeps racing the way he is now, it's almost scary how dominating I think he's going to be in the next few years.

Good work for Mark Webber, and Cristiano da Matta. Both scored their team's first points. Ralph Firman got another one in for Jordan as well.

BTW, I really want to see Justin Wilson in a more competitive car. I can't remember where he finished, but this guy was ninth in the first lap - from 18th! Damn shame he doesn't have the car to keep that place, but put him in a competitive car and he's going places.
    Last edited by Leo; 05-04-2003 at 12:01 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Leo
    Alonso is turning out to be quite something. He's only 21 - and if he keeps racing the way he is now, it's almost scary how dominating I think he's going to be in the next few years.
    We're looking at a future World Champion. Look what he's doing in a Renault! Fernando has an incredible ability to communicate to the mechanics what the car is doing and should be doing and that translates into 0.5 second on the track, I'm sure.

I'm so impressed with him!

BTW, I really want to see Justin Wilson in a more competitive car. I can't remember where he finished, but this guy was ninth in the first lap - from 18th! Damn shame he doesn't have the car to keep that place, but put him in a competitive car and he's going places.
    Justin ended up P11 and even Jos came in P12. Besides Ferrari and Williams, Minardi is the only team that finished both cars so comparatively it's not bad. LOL

Ralf should get out of F1. He's not doing anything. Williams has enough problems with a 2nd rate car. Why don't they wise up and go in a full partnership with BMW?

I loved seeing Ferrari's F2003-GA in action today for the first time. It's the sexiest car I've ever seen in F1.

Leo
    Premium Member
    We're looking at a future World Champion. Look what he's doing in a Renault! Fernando has an incredible ability to communicate to the mechanics what the car is doing and should be doing and that translates into 0.5 second on the track, I'm sure.
    Don't knock the Renault too much. That car is handling extremely well, almost as good as the Ferrari. The McLaren and the Williams cars - especially the latter - are handling about as well as a brick. How else can you explain a Jordan overtaking a McLaren at Brazil?

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Leo
    Don't knock the Renault too much. That car is handling extremely well, almost as good as the Ferrari.
    Exactly, Leo! That's what I'm saying. Fernando Alonso is not only quick, but he has that other incredible ability MS has. Namely, he can brilliantly tell his mechanics and engineers exactly how the car is handling so they can make adjustments.

Fisichella can do this too.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Official times from Saturday qualifying in Austria:

1. Michael Schumacher Germany Ferrari-Ferrari 1min 09.150secs
    2. Kimi Raikkonen Finland McLaren-Mercedes 1min 09.189secs +0.039secs
    3. Juan Montoya Colombia Williams-BMW 1min 09.391secs +0.241secs
    4. Nick Heidfeld Germany Sauber-Petronas 1min.09.725secs +0.575secs
    5. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 1min 09.784secs +0.634secs
    6. Jarno Trulli Italy Renault-Renault 1min 09.890secs +0.740secs
    7. Jenson Button Britain BAR-Honda 1min 09.935secs +0.785secs
    8. Antonio Pizzonia Brazil Jaguar-Cosworth 1min 10.045secs +0.895secs
    9. Giancarlo Fisichella Italy Jordan-Ford 1min 10.105secs +0.955secs
    10. Ralf Schumacher Germany Williams-BMW 1min 10.279secs +1.129secs
    11. Olivier Panis France Toyota-Toyota 1min 10.402secs +1.252secs
    12. Jacques Villeneuve Canada BAR-Honda 1min 10.618secs +1.468secs
    13. Cristiano da Matta Brazil Toyota-Toyota 1min 10.834secs +1.684secs
    14. David Coulthard Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1min 10.893secs +1.743secs
    15. Heinz-Harald Frentzen Germany Sauber-Petronas 1min 11.307secs +2.157secs
    16. Ralph Firman Britain Jordan-Ford 1min 11.505secs +2.355secs
    17. Mark Webber Australia Jaguar-Cosworth 1min 11.662secs +2.512secs
    18. Justin Wilson Britain Minardi-Cosworth 1min 14.508secs +5.358secs
    19. Fernando Alonso Spain Renault-Renault 1min 20.113secs +10.963secs
    20. Jos Verstappen Holland Minardi-Cosworth no time

Alonso ran his Renault into a sand trap; Webber ran wide at the first turn. Verstappen's Minardi had a mechanical problem. Ralf's problems with one-shot qualifying continues, and what the hell is Heidfeld doing in third?

FORT Fogey
    The highlight of the race for me was Kimi in his "old" car keeping his iceman-like cool while Rubens was going all out in his brand-spanking new F2003-GA trying to pass him.

Also, my vote for the coolest F1 fans in Austria:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast