+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Divorced NHL players?? (The Scandal Thread)

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Oh I think I'd need much more than "2 minutes for roughing" with Forsberg....

The thought of Chelios naked just makes me sick. Ew.

::goes to scrub brain::
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

The Jeff Brown / Kirk MacLean scandal was kept pretty hush hush by local media and news outlets (out of respect I guess), but it's generally accepted around these parts that it went down like this:

At the time, Brown was our main man on D, our powerplay quarterback, and MacLean was, of course, the brilliant goaltender who took us to the Cup finals the year before. Anyway, strong rumour has it that Jeff Brown was sleeping with Kirk MacLean's wife...

Brown got traded very unexpectedly to Carolina for Jim Dowd (very lopsided at the time) and no one knew why. MacLean was never the same after that and eventually got traded to Carolina a few years later, his play closer resembling that of a backup than a playoff saviour. Curiously, Brown was dealt away from Carolina to the Leafs for a sixth rounder just hours before the MacLean deal got done.

Hmmmmmm... you be the judge.

As for Bure, I never heard the rumours listed but his hetero escapades are well known... Some Russian hairdresser and a girl from Smithers, BC included.
    ~M o s a i K~

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Well a similar scandal took place in Buffalo . Ted Nolan the coach at the time,was supposedly sleeping with Zee Dominators wife. Well it doesn't take many brains to figure out who the GM ( I think it was actually Muckler) was going to keep out of those two.
    Nolan was dispatched and replaced by Lindy Ruff. Nolan still has not gotten another coaching job in the NHL.

The media "boys club" always keeps this stuff hush hush

From Philly.com
    Writing a wrong didn't happen in Brodeur affair
    By Stan Hochman
    stanhoch2@aol.com

MARTIN Brodeur, superstar goalie, father of four young kids, splits with his wife right after Christmas. Nobody writes it. Brodeur gets involved in an affair with his sister-in-law, who has separated from her husband.
    "Maybe it was a question of honor, a trait seldom attributed to our profession," wrote Sherry Ross, who covers the Devils for the New York Daily News,explaining why Brodeur's marital problems had gone unreported. "Maybe it was because whatever turmoil Brodeur is going through never manifested itself on the ice. Maybe it's because he is one of the true good guys in sports as far as our working relationship with him goes. Maybe it was wrong to bury it, but it just felt right."Does that mean that if his goals-against average had zoomed over 3.8, Ross would have decided the whole sleazy scenario was getting to Brodeur and she would have written about it? Or ifBrodeur had turned grumpy and nasty, snarling at questions about shorthanded goals, she would have written about it?
    Has the new journalism decided that star players and "good guys" get to keep their messy private lives private, while goons and grumblers get their dirty laundry aired?
    A French-language crimetabloid broke the story, never identifying Brodeur by name. Said that a Quebec-born goaltender was having an affair with his sister-in-law and was being asked for $9 million in alimony by his wife.
    Le Journal de Montreal then confronted Brodeur and he admitted he was separated from his wife and that he had a relationship with his sister-in-law. Volunteered that his wife called him 2 hours before a game and taunted him with the news that she was going out on a date, with some guy Brodeur knew.Brodeur then issued a statement after the second game of the Devils playoff series with the Lightning. "To all the people who knew about it and didn't say anything, I appreciate it," Brodeur said. "This is my personal life. I don't want to get bothered with it from now on." Ross oozes sympathy, looking down the road, knowing what Brodeur will hear if the Devils "move on to play in a genteel city such as, oh, let's say Philadelphia."

Yo, Sherry, ever hear the line, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime?" How about a variation on that theme: "If you can't stand the din, don't do the sin."
    That brings up another disturbing angle to Ross' explanation
    of why the beat writers chose to ignore Brodeur's situation. Brodeur is human, except on the ice, where he resembles a stone wall.
    "Maybe that's why some of us," Ross wrote, "with the capability for the same weaknesses, poor judgments, mistakes and compassion, were so reluctant to turn over this Devil's rock."
    Brrrrack. Last time I looked, newspapers were not recruiting sports writers at monasteries. A sports writer's allegiance is to his newspaper and its readers and not to a player or the team he or she is covering. You're not casting first stones, you're reporting news.
    And there's where it gets sticky. If a star goalie is doing the hokey-pokey with his sister-in-law and his wife is about to seek a huge sum of alimony in divorce proceedings that might get messier than spring break in Cancun, is that news or isn't it?Those supermarket tabloids thrive on that kind of news,mostly about entertainers. There are television shows built around the scandalous behavior of Hollywood folks, gossip columns in Pulitzer prize-winning newspapers. With pro athletes being paid like show-biz stars, should they be immune from the same probing kind of reporting?
    Do you wait until Brodeur gives up a couple of soft goals and the Devils lose a playoff game to the younger-than-springtime Lightning? Do hockey fans, especially Devils fans, really want to know what's happening to their heroes off the ice? Do they want that information only if it relates to visiting sick kids in hospitals?
    You're probably weary of that argument about athletes as role models. What you want from your hometown heroes is a gutsy, sincere effort between the lines. Unless, of course, he's caught snorting lines between games. And then, you can't get enough of the story.
    The beat writers could have turned the Brodeur story over to the news side of the paper, thus avoiding the clubhouse repercussions that were bound to follow. It's a chintzy way to do the job, but it beats burying a story that is screeching to be written. And then there was the person who wrote the headline for
    Sherry Ross' column. "Marty all class in le scandale." Huh? Based on what happened, Brodeur couldn't spell class if you spotted him the c-l.

Maybe the Boys are all about to get a rude awakening....

father of four young kids
    Not unless he knocked up the SIL, or had a kid while I was getting a sandwich during commercials. The twins + the older boy = 3 kids.

Also, whatever! Brodeur is a slut, an ass, whatever you want to call him - but he's still DAMN hot and a DAMN good goalie.

eny
    FORT Fogey

Great article enygma... an interesting read! Also, I had no clue about the whole Nolan scandal! I've always wondered why he's been passed over for job after job even though I hear nothing but praise for his past work!

Cheers!
    ~M o s a i K~

Sort of scandalous:

Joe Thornton was arrested early Saturday morning, along with 7 other people including his older brother, following a bar brawl back in St Thomas.

Guess someone said the Bruins suck Bobby Orr's nuts...

Damn, Ducky beat me to it.

Btw... St. Thomas is 10 minutes from London.. want me to go to court when he appears?
    http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/London.../18/90012.html
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    When Ducky first posted that , I thought it was the warm St Thomas , not the near Miss F - St Thomas

Yeah sure, take your Fort press pass ...

Since Pearson (the guy the trophy was named after )won a nobel prize for his world peacemaking efforts, too funny that Thornton is a Pearson finalist

+ Reply to Thread