+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2008

Re: College Football 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3192008;
    But how 'bout them 'Dores! Vanderbilt gets some votes after beating then ranked 24th South Carolina! Take that Steve Spurrier.
    I was at the game, and it was AMAZING! Definitely a good way to start off our home games. Yeah Dores!!!
    "Giselle annoys me the most out of everyone in the house, but I'm not willing to alienate her because she's the only one in Tokyo with a straightening iron." -Elyse (ANTM C1)

Support the National Eating Disorders Association http://nationaleatingdisorders.org

Things are not looking good for the Buckeyes.
    Tressel: RB Wells now doubtful for USC game - Yahoo! News

By RUSTY MILLER, AP Sports Writer Thu Sep 11, 2:18 PM ET

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said Thursday it is doubtful that starting tailback Chris "Beanie" Wells will play Saturday night against No. 1 Southern California.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Tressel said there was lingering soreness for Wells in his right foot after he worked out on Wednesday night. Wells did not practice with the team Thursday morning just before it departed for Los Angeles.

"We were hoping he'd wake up this morning and feel even better than yesterday," Tressel said shortly before boarding the team bus to the airport. "But it didn't happen. We'll see from here."

Wells injured his right foot in the fifth-ranked Buckeyes' opener against Youngstown State, did not play last week against Ohio and has not had contact in partial practices this week. He flew with the team on Thursday afternoon.

Tressel did not rule out the possibility of the junior seeing action, but did not sound optimistic.

"Beanie practiced about 20 carries yesterday, and maybe 20 percent of the practice," Tressel said. "We didn't have him work today. He had more soreness this morning than we had hoped for. A late afternoon practice followed by a morning practice, we're hoping that's a little bit of the reason why. So we'll just have to play it by ear."

Co-offensive coordinator Jim Bollman said after Wednesday night's practice that Wells was about 75 percent healthy.

"The chances of him being 100 percent are not high, I would think," Bollman said. "That would be a miraculous recovery."

Ohio State is a 10 1/2-point underdog against the Trojans in the first meeting between the teams in 18 years. USC has won its last seven meetings with Big Ten teams, by an average margin of 27.8 points.

With Wells out of last week's come-from-behind 26-14 victory over 33 1/2-point underdog Ohio, redshirt freshman Dan Herron, sophomore Brandon Saine and senior Maurice Wells handled the load at tailback. They have also been seeing most of the action in practice this week, with Wells working out on Monday and Tuesday on his own away from his teammates under the supervision of team trainers.

Tressel said the three backups would share the job of replacing Wells, who rushing for 1,609 yards and 15 touchdowns last season and was considered a top Heisman Trophy prospect this season.

"I would call it more by committee," he said. "Now if someone starts really feeling it, no matter who that is, you would (play them). But we're pleased with all those guys."

Tressel said team doctors, trainers and the coaching staff would monitor Wells' condition and then consult with him before ruling on whether he will play in the game at the Coliseum.

He said the Buckeyes' playbook would not be severely hampered by Wells' absence. But he did say that it still might come as a shock to Wells' teammates if he cannot play in a game of this magnitude.

"Our guys have seen that we've practiced for quite some time without him," Tressel said. "I suppose maybe when you get to the realization that, OK, maybe he won't play, then perhaps there's a 'Man!' type of thing. But we've got to go (on)."

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Well if you are truly a championship team, you shouldn't have to rely on 1 player to win games for you. Where's the rest of the team?
    Wake up and be awesome

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3196504;
    Well if you are truly a championship team, you shouldn't have to rely on 1 player to win games for you. Where's the rest of the team?

Ashley, I wish we could high five! That was a good one!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

When you go to a gunfight you like to have all your ammo ready. If PSU had any super stars on their team you would know what I mean.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Superstars? We have the best wide receivers in the country!! And the rest of our team is in suspended.
    Wake up and be awesome

Another reason I like Vanderbilt.

VU athletes excel on, off the field since sports restructured

Vanderbilt University may be the only school in the Southeastern Conference that opens its annual review of student athletics with a rundown of the teams' grade point averages.

The baseball team hit a 3.0 GPA for the first time last year. The football team shot up from a 2.3 average five years ago to 2.8, with more than half the players earning a spot on the SEC honor roll with GPAs of 3.0 or higher. The bowling team averaged a solid 3.3, well over the men's basketball team's 2.6.

It was five years ago this week that Vanderbilt made the controversial decision to disband its athletic department, roll the sports programs into the department of student life, and encourage student athletes to devote as much of their energy to life off the field as on it.

Now that the dust has settled, the school says its gamble is paying off in better grades and in well-rounded graduates who took time out to study abroad, tackle tough classes and challenging majors, and even join fraternities, sororities and extracurricular activities like any other college student.

"I did come to Vanderbilt because of the great academic atmosphere," said John Stokes, a sophomore from Memphis, a starting linebacker and a pre-med major who carried a 4.0 grade point average this spring. And if that wasn't enough work, he also volunteers with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, including leading a weekly youth Bible study class at Covenant Presbyterian Church. more

Wow. Just wow. There isn't one good thing to say about the Ohio State game. What an ass-kicking.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3197804;
    Wow. Just wow. There isn't one good thing to say about the Ohio State game. What an ass-kicking.
    Well there is if you are an USC fan.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3197804;
    I won't run salt in your wounds by saying anything either, except: My condolcences.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread