+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2008

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Re: College Football 2008

Penn State's student section was named the best in the nation!

ESPN The Magazine ranks Beaver Stadium fans the best

Source: GoPSUsports.com
    Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:41:00 PM EST
    Updated: Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:43:37 PM EST

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Add ESPN The Magazine to the list of national media that agree with what Penn State football fans already knew – the Nittany Lions' student section is the nation's best.

In the magazine's August 25 issue, the loud and proud Penn State student section dominated the categories the publication ranked to earn distinction as the nation's Best Overall student section. The Nittany Lions' enthusiastic and passionate fanatics also earned the No. 1 ranking for Most Fun, No. 2 for Most Creative and No. 4 for Loudest student sections in the nation.

During the 2005 season, ESPN College Gameday declared the Penn State student section the nation's best.

Kirk Herbstreit, ESPN/ABC college football analyst and a member of the College Gameday crew, was effusive in his comments about the Nittany Lions' student section in the ESPN The Magazine story.

"The coordination is off the charts," he said. "I know the Cameron Crazies get a lot of pub. But, what's that, a thousand kids? At Penn State we're talking about 20 times that, all on the same page for every situation on the field. That's nuts.

"They raise the bar every year," added Herbstreit, who has witnessed several games in Beaver Stadium the past three years. "Between the White Out and the music they pump in, it's a festival atmosphere."

"If you aren't impressed with the White Out, you're probably one of those people who think the moon landing was faked," cracked ESPN's Beano Cook in the story.

More than 21,000 Penn State students have season football tickets, the largest full season student section nationwide in college sports. The enthusiasm for Penn State football saw all 21,000-plus student season tickets sell out in a record 59 minutes in 2007, prompting the creation of a student ticket week this past June. More than 15,000 student season tickets for freshmen, sophomores and juniors sold out in approximately three minutes during each sale.

During the 2004 season, Penn State students began wearing white, leading to an all-stadium White Out for the Nittany Lions' clash with Notre Dame last season, and launching copycat sections of solid blocks of team colors at schools across the nation.

More than 93,000 season tickets have been sold for the upcoming season in Beaver Stadium, the nation's largest facility with a capacity of 107,282. In his 43rd season as head coach, Joe Paterno's squad returns 35 letterwinners and 16 starters for the 2008 season. Penn State has won 31 of its last 40 games, tied for the nation's eighth-best winning percentage over that span.

Penn State Football Eve will launch the season on Friday, Aug. 29, with activities starting at 6:00 p.m. outside Beaver Stadium. The program inside the stadium starts at 7:45 p.m. featuring the Blue Band, cheerleaders, dance team and videos. The seniors will be introduced and after Coach Paterno's address to the crowd, a new stadium video will be unveiled. The event and parking are free.

ESPN The Magazine ranks Beaver Stadium fans the best - Big Ten Network
    Wake up and be awesome

MRD

Last night we were talking college football with a friend from Michigan and he was saying how the Big 10 conference isn't as tough as it used to be. My husband started in on how great the SEC conference is and how almost every SEC team is a great team. He finished up saying: "Even Vanderbilt isn't bad" and laughing. The guy behind us (we were at a baseball game) leaned forward and said: If you'd get t-shirts printed saying "Even Vanderbilt!", I'd buy one.
    It was maybe a you had to be there moment, but it was funny.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Yeah, I watched the College Gameday kickoff show yesterday and they all made fun of the Big 10. The Big 10 has 4 or 5 teams ranked in the Top 25 but that apparently isn't good enough nowadays.
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3175292;
    "Even Vanderbilt isn't bad"
    At least Vanderbilt doesn't have to issue Get Out of Jail Free cards to all incoming freshman football players. Yeah, I'm a Vandy fan. Go 'dores!

MRD

I think you have us mixed up with the Criminoles of FSU.

Only 4 more days!!!!

I'm upset. The Florida game isn't being broadcast here. I can get it online, BUT I now have to work on Sat. at the same time the game is on. I am used to missing out on seeing the first game of the season, but I have been able to listen to it. Now I can't even do that.
    NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.
    But once we get to Tennessee, then all the SEC games will be broadcast.

Unk, how many college teams do you support???

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3177602;
    Unk, how many college teams do you support???
    I've lived in Columbus for 30 years so it's hard not to back the Buckeyes. I was born in Nashville and lived there for 23 years. That is the Vandy connection. I was on the sidelines (had a cop friend of the family who worked the sidelines) at Vandy when they beat Alabama 14-10 in 1969. What a game that was! Since U.T. always had good teams it was a natural to support our home state team.

MRD

I got offered tickets to the Florida-Miami game in 2 weeks. Free tickets. Tickets to almost any of the Florida home games are hard to come by.
    Unfortunately I can't go. It's a 7 hour drive one way to get to Gainesville, so gas, food, hotel, etc. I just can't justify it right now. Oh man, I have NOT been to a game in years at The Swamp. And Free tickets. Why now when I no longer live in Florida? I could have gone to a game and back home in one day when I lived in Florida.

Maybe next year.

From today's Columbus Dispatch.

Smug SEC fans should stop whining, enjoy success
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:14 AM
    By Rob Oller
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    Jim was on fire. Not engulfed in flames, mind you, but burning all the same. A match had been struck on his anger, by the mere mention of the Southeastern Conference.

Sometimes it takes getting away to come away with a new perspective. Spend enough time following Ohio State football and you'd swear the Buckeyes have become the sole punching bag for college football fans living beyond the borders of the Big Ten. It has become fashionable to hate Ohio State.

A recent trip West, however, turned up another villain in the mix: the SEC. The arrogance of that deeply Southern conference wears on those whose allegiances lie outside of Dixie.

Fans such as Jim, a Salmon fisherman in Bodega Bay, Calif., have no use for the SEC, which he thinks resembles a fashion show diva strutting the runway.

"I can't stand it," said Jim, who grew up in the East before relocating to Pac-10 country about 30 years ago. "They think they're soooo better than everyone else."

Jim is only one voice, of course, but he assured that his disdain for all things SEC is shared by many of his buddies.

Regardless, the point is that the SEC's recent success -- three national championships in the past five seasons -- combined with Southerners saluting their own achievements, have turned the conference into a corporate version of the Buckeyes, which is to say neither is hugely popular away from its own turf, if for different reasons.

Nationally, Ohio State is viewed as underachieving at best and overhyped at worst. An overrated team tends to be a persecuted team, and most of the country thinks the Buckeyes were in over their heads during losses to SEC members Florida and Louisiana State in back-to-back national championship games.

Not coincidentally, most of the Buckeye bashing originates from SEC backers, who are the first to point out that OSU's bowl record against SEC teams is 0-9. They also are the first to campaign for a playoff system that will expose teams such as Ohio State as frauds while allowing the SEC to prove its dominance.

If there is one thing more annoying than an arrogant fan base, it is a smug fan base. The SEC happens to feature both. Plus, SEC fans like to whine. At least that's how outsiders see it.

People tend to forget that not every team from the south belongs to the SEC, an oversight that is particularly galling to successful programs like Florida State and Miami.

"I think SEC fans annoy Miami fans. It's probably that arrogance," said Randy Mell, who helps cover college football for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "SEC fans won't tell you they invented football, but that (the SEC) made football matter."

Fans from the SEC are particularly proficient at proclaiming their conference the most difficult to win, then citing that belief as a reason more SEC teams don't make it into the national championship game. When they do win it all, that's as it should be.

The hue and cry south of the Mason-Dixon Line will increase this week as SEC'ers rip Ohio State for playing Youngstown State. The criticism would be more legit if the SEC didn't play patsies of its own, including Georgia Southern, Norfolk State and Wofford, which, like YSU, are members of the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA).

The SEC needs to be careful here. Is it the best conference? Probably, but that does not excuse its constant crying about how the difficult intraconference schedule borders on the unfair. Just play the games and shut up about it. Proof of your power can be seen -- consecutive national titles -- and doesn't need to be heard.

MRD

The SEC needs to be careful here. Is it the best conference? Probably, but that does not excuse its constant crying about how the difficult intraconference schedule borders on the unfair. Just play the games and shut up about it. Proof of your power can be seen -- consecutive national titles -- and doesn't need to be heard.
    Isn't that a little of the pot calling the kettle black?

We have a great conference and we've not allowed to crow about it a little bit?
    Besides, it's not being smug when it's the truth!

Ah well, long years of attacks against both the SEC and the Gators make one immune. We've been hearing that same ole for years. Jealousy speaks out I guess.

I dislike Ohio State just because they are one of Penn State's huge rivals. Otherwise, I don't really mind them. Their fans are nothing but nice to us when we go there.

I of course will be at the Penn State season opener tomorrow. I never miss a home game.
    Wake up and be awesome

+ Reply to Thread