+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NFL - Football 2008

NFL - Football 2008

I am extremely excited for this!!

Browns 2008 schedule loaded with prime time games

Created: 4/15/2008 3:45:07 PM
    Updated:4/15/2008 3:48:02 PM

CLEVELAND (AP) -- The NFL thinks the Browns are ready for prime time again.

The Browns will appear in five nationally televised games, including home contests against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday night on WKYC-TV, the New York Giants on Monday night and the Denver Broncos on Thursday night.

The Browns also will play at Buffalo and Philadelphia on Monday night.

The Browns have been left out of the NFL's schedule of marquee matchups for years. But a 10-win season and a high-powered offense has them back in the spotlight again.

Cleveland will open at home for the ninth straight season, facing off against the Dallas Cowboys.
    Link here to WKYC

Finally the Browns will get some national airtime !

Re: NFL - Football 2008

Great post to start the 2008 thread so I moved it! Here we go Brownies here we go!!!

Ooo, thanks Unk. I didn't know whether to start a new thread or not.

WOOT! Three Monday night games and the Browns/Steelers game is going primetime on Sunday! YES!

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

The only reason that Sunday night game is televised is because it's against the unstoppable Steelers. Here We Go Steelers!
    Wake up and be awesome

Bucs schedule looks a little tough, right now, but you never know what will happen once the season gets here-- teams surprise, both ways. We were given one MNF game, at Carolina, and one Sunday night game, at home vs. Seattle. Game I'm most looking forward to is against my 2nd fave, the Pack, at home on Sept. 28th (my husband's b-day, also).

Can't wait for the draft!! I'm in football withdrawal right now.

Makes me ready for NFL 2008!
    Draft is this weekend btw!
    Autumn Winds!

Pipeline to the NFL? Big states, schools are key
    Pipeline to the NFL? Big states, schools are key - USATODAY.com
    Ohio produces Buckeyes, pros

Ohio State averaged 8½ wins and 4.9 draft picks per year in the 13 seasons before Jim Tressel became head coach in 2001.

Since Tressel took over, the Buckeyes have averaged 10.4 wins and 7.8 draft picks a year. Recruiting is key, and while Tressel says "I don't know if we are doing anything magical," he concedes his staff might devote more time evaluating recruits than some schools.

"We spend a lot of time ranking recruits and watching extra film," Tressel says. "We spend extra time getting to know them, talking to their high school coach, talking to opposing coaches."

Tressel targeted players from Ohio in his first recruiting class because "the 2002 class was just extraordinary."

Nine Buckeyes from that class were drafted in 2006, including five first-round picks, four of whom played high school football in Ohio: linebackers A.J. Hawk and Bobby Carpenter, center Nick Mangold and safety Donte Whitner.

Tressel didn't recruit every Ohio State player that was drafted since 2002, but 70% of Ohio State's draft picks during Tressel's tenure are from Ohio. All eight Buckeyes drafted in 2007 — Tressel's recruits — were from the state.

"Our football here is very important culturally," Tressel says. "The coaching is very good. We do a good job recruiting our home state plus the border states and recruiting hotbeds like Florida, Georgia and Texas. We'll go wherever we can to get great players."

While just eight of Ohio State's draft picks under Tressel are from Florida and Texas, 2008 marked the first time one of his recruiting classes is filled with more out-of-state players than in-state — Florida, Georgia and Texas are represented.

+ Reply to Thread