+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NHL Draft Lottery Results

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Mario was pretty PO'd at Pittsburgh in general in one interview and said he may have to "take steps" to protect his own interest.
    Take steps - Hello Mr. Allen ? Would you like the team I stole from under your nose a few years back ?

I really think Mario will hang it up for good.

Marc - Andre will be good trade bait. He's supposed to go first round . Carolina's second and needs a goalie badly, as Irbe and Weekes seem to have been out under some witch doctor spell.....

Dream scenario - Mario will pack up and move the team to Quebec City.

Or London, Ontario. Okay, Hamilton.

Like Eny, I think he'll pack it in.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I don't think Hamilton is out of possibilities.
    1. It's the same as Pittsburgh - Ugly steel town
    2. They have the fan support , no problem
    3. It's closer to Miss F
    4. If they think the two NYC franchises hate each other , woo hoo
    TO/ Hamilton they would have to set up riot squads.

Note to US fans Hamilton /Missisaugua/Toronto/ Scarboro is kind of like LA . One huge neverending city

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Originally posted by JR.
    But doesn't SJ have like 454682 goalies in their system?

Good one, JR. True, the Sharks do have a very deep list of goalies that could do very well. Nabokov, Kiprusov, and Toskala are the ones most people know about. And remember, they sent Hedberg to the Pens last year. Technically, that's at least 4 decent goalies. Yes, Kipper struggled early in the year, but if you look at the 9 games he played after the All-Star break, he dropped his GAA from 3.77 down to 2.61. He's only 27. Nabby is only 28. Toskala is only 26.

I know the Sharks completely blew this year, but I have to look at the positives that they'll have going into next year:

- HOPEFULLY Selanne will take his option year and stay with the Sharks. With labor strife facing the 2004 season, he may have trouble getting more than $6.5 mil from another team. Hey, I can hope.

- The Sharks have a number of young players that I think will take another step forward next year. Obviously they have young veterans like Marleau and Sturm, but they also have a couple guys that saw their first action this year, like Fahey and Dimitrakos - both of whom are going to play for the USA in the Worlds. Someday Fahey will be the captain of the team. You heard it here first.

So, who are they going to take with the 6th pick? Anyone? Ducky?

JR.
    Yeah Wayner, I've always thought they were set in goal. How's the "D"?

Ranked sixth is Braydon Coburn. He is a defenceman with the Portland Winter Hawks. He is considered by many scouts to be the premire defeceman in the draft. Ranked seventh is a big Austrian goal scoring foward named Tomas Vanek who is playing university hockey right now, and scoring up a storm.

Originally posted by JR.
    Yeah Wayner, I've always thought they were set in goal. How's the "D"?
    Good question. I just read today that Brad Stuart is STILL out with concussion symptoms from that Jody Shelly cheap shot. I pray that he can come back strong next year. If he was healthy, he would have played for Canada in the Worlds. If he can, then their defense looks like this:

Mike Rathje: 28, 6-5 240lbs
    Brad Stuart: 23, 6-2 215lbs
    Kyle McLaren: 25, 6-4 225lbs
    Scott Hannan: 24, 6-2 220lbs
    Jim Fahey: 23, 6-0 205lbs

The sixth defenseman spot is up in the air. If they do nothing in the FA market, then it'll be either Rob Davison or Jesse Fibiger - neither of whom I'm crazy about.

But the top 5 are very solid, young, and very good. Rathje has been an outstanding defensive defenseman for years. Stuart is a rising star. McLaren has the potential to be a dominant, intimidating force. Hannan is improving all the time, though still needs to be more disciplined. And Fahey I've already mentioned, will be playing for Team USA in the Worlds. He led rookie defensemen in scoring this year (1 goal, 19 assist), despite only playing in 43 games.

And who knows, Marchment is a FA at the end of the season; maybe they'll bring him back.

One young forward I forgot to mention before is Alex Korylyuk. He opted to play in Russia this past year (and may play for Russia in the Worlds) because he wanted more ice time. With the aging of some of the forwards (Graves, Thornton, Ricci), chances are he'll play with the Sharks next season.

And Ducky, BRAVO on knowing the minor league picks! You so TOTALLY rock!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12