+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2008

Re: Baseball 2008

Zambrano throws no-hitter as Cubs beat Astros 5-0
    Zambrano throws no-hitter as Cubs beat Astros 5-0

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 11 minutes ago

MILWAUKEE - Carlos Zambrano pitched the first no-hitter for the Chicago Cubs in 36 years, returning from a sore rotator cuff to shut down the Houston Astros 5-0 Sunday night in a game relocated because of Hurricane Ike.
    ADVERTISEMENT

"I guess I'm back!" Zambrano hollered.

Pitching for the first time since Sept. 2, Zambrano stopped a Houston team that had not played since Thursday. The storm forced baseball to move two games from Texas to Miller Park and the Astros flew hours before they took the field.

Zambrano, known for his emotional displays on the mound, kept himself in control until striking out Darin Erstad to finish off the gem. It was baseball's first neutral-site no-hitter in modern history, the Elias Sports Bureau said.

The big right-hander dropped to his knees and pointed to the sky with both hands after getting Erstad to swing and miss. Zambrano (14-5) was immediately mobbed on the mound by his teammates.

"I'm a little confused right now," Zambrano said. "I still can't believe it. It's a great feeling, a feeling that you can't describe."

The crowd of 23,441 mostly Cubs fans erupted in a wild ovation after chanting "Let's go Z!" throughout the final inning.

Zambrano struck out a season-high 10 and walked one in the Cubs' first no-hitter since Milt Pappas pitched one against San Diego in 1972. This was the 13th no-hitter in team history, including five in the late 1800s.

This was the second no-hitter in the majors this season Boston's Jon Lester did it against Kansas City at Fenway Park on May 19.

The Astros only once came close to a hit. David Newhan lined a drive that first baseman Derrek Lee jumped to catch to end the fifth inning.

Zambrano helped himself, too, by charging off the mound and across the first-base line to catch Hunter Pence's foul pop for the second out in the eighth.

Zambrano began the ninth by getting Humberto Quintero to ground out on one pitch it was his 100th of the game. After pinch-hitter Jose Castillo also grounded out, Erstad chased a full-count pitch low-and-away for Zambrano's first shutout since 2004.

With his jersey untucked, Zambrano paraded triumphantly through a series of interviews in front of the Cubs dugout, then waved to the still-cheering crowd as he walked down the steps.

Coming into the game, Cubs manager Lou Piniella said he wanted to limit the 27-year-old Venezuelan ace to 100 pitches in his return to the rotation. Having recently an anti-inflammatory shot, Zambrano managed to come close he threw 110 pitches, 73 for strikes.

"What can I do?" Piniella said. "I was even hesitant to warm someone up."

"Pretty exciting stuff!" he added. "He kept his composure, concentration. I don't think anyone in the park was happier than he was."

Because the Brewers were away, MLB decided Saturday night to switch these games to Milwaukee. The upper deck was closed, and the crowd was filled with fans who made the short drive from Chicago.

Zambrano also gave local fans a chance to see something they really wanted two weeks ago a no-hitter.

Brewers newcomer CC Sabathia pitched a one-hitter on Aug. 31 at Pittsburgh, and team officials asked a scoring review committee to take a further look at the little trickler that was ruled a hit. The call stood.

The win could be yet another sign of good things to come for the NL Central-leading Cubs, whose fans have gotten used to doing more crying than cheering in September during 100 years' worth of World Series frustration.

The Cubs took a 7 1/2-game lead in the NL Central over the fading Brewers, who were swept in a day-night doubleheader by the Philadelphia Phillies.

The Astros fell two games back of the Brewers and Phillies, who are tied in the wild-card race. Houston had won six in a row and 14 of 15.

Zambrano didn't allow a baserunner until he walked Michael Bourn in the fourth inning.

He allowed only one more baserunner the rest of the night, hitting Pence in the back with two outs in the fifth.

Zambrano also made an offensive contribution in the Cubs' four-run third inning, singling and then chugging home from first on Lee's double. The Cubs chased Randy Wolf (10-12) in the third, his shortest outing of the season.

It was the first complete game for Zambrano since June 16, 2007, at home against the Padres. He hadn't thrown a shutout since April 7, 2004, a two-hitter at home against the Rockies.

Alfonso Soriano led off the game with a home run, his 28th of the year. With Zambrano in control, the game took just 2 hours, 17 minutes.

Notes:@ It was fourth no-hitter against Houston and the first since Pittsburgh's Francisco Cordova and Ricardo Rincon combined for one in a 1-0 victory on July 12, 1997. San Francisco's Juan Marichal (1963) and Cincinnati's Jim Maloney (1969) also no-hit Houston.

I would have thought that once The Angels clinched that they would ease up, but they sweep Seattle. Go Angels.

Being an Indians fan this thrills me to no end!
    Scout.com: Tribe Takes Triple-A Team To Columbus
    Tribe Takes Triple-A Team To Columbus
    By Chuck Murr
    Indians Ink
    Posted Sep 18, 2008

The Indians have signed a Player Development Contract with the Columbus Clippers of the Triple-A International League. The four-year agreement will run through the 2012 season. This agreement marks the first time the Indians and Columbus have been affiliated in the 32-year history of the Clippers organization. Columbus was the Triple-A farm team of the Washington Nationals the past two years.

Before that, the Clippers had a 28-year relationship with the New York Yankees from 1979-2006.

In 2009, the Clippers will move into brand new Huntington Park, which is located in the trendy downtown Arena District following the closing of Cooper Stadium on September 1.

“Partnering with the Columbus Clippers organization is a tremendous opportunity for the Indians organization to affiliate with a first-class organization in the vibrant capital city located in the heart of our fan base,” said Indians President Paul Dolan. “It’s an exciting time for both organizations, as well as for the baseball fans of Ohio."

The Indians' top farm team had been the Buffalo Bisons since 1995.

“We would like to thank Bob and Mindy Rich, the entire Buffalo Bisons organization and the Bisons fans for their support the past 14 years.

Our affiliation coincided with the organization’s renewed commitment to the foundation of the franchise - its Player Development System - and the Bisons organization played a major role in our success during that time. Today’s announcement is a result of a unique opportunity presented the Indians organization.

"We wish the Rich family and the Bisons organization much success in the future.”

The Clippers are excited to be part of the Indians' farm system.

“The Columbus community is excited and ecstatic that we have this opportunity to align with the Cleveland Indians,” said Clippers President and General Manager Ken Schnacke. “The enthusiasm in and around the Central Ohio area is a testament to the popularity of this new partnership.

"The Columbus Clippers organization along with the Franklin County Commissioners and our board of directors are equally as excited as our fan base."

Dolan and Indians Vice President, Baseball Operations Chris Antonetti will be at Huntington Park for a press conference to formerly introduce this new 4-year partnership on Friday.

The Indians now have four farm clubs in Ohio:

Triple-A Columbus Clippers
    Double-A Akron Aeros
    Class A Lake County Captains
    Short-season Mahoning Valley Scrappers

All are within a 2 1-2 drive of Progressive Field.

Yuck- the Dodgers just clinched in the west - ''behind'' Manny - blech LOL

But - LOVE LOVE LOVE them Red Sox - yeeee haaaaa!!!
    Last edited by Capegal; 09-25-2008 at 07:42 PM.
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

Anyone else watching the Red Sox game? And being driven crazy by Buck Martinez and Chip Caray? They're almost making me yearn for Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. Almost. Though I could easily fill a thread with comments about commentators... so many bad ones.

Also, Craig Sager's blazer?

I see Sabathia got his butt kicked in Philadelphia. Same thing he did in Cleveland, failing to come through in the playoffs. I never had a good feeling when he pitched for the Tribe during the playoffs. You never knew which which guy was showing up and most of the time it was the one with zero confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3210996;
    I see Sabathia got his butt kicked in Philadelphia. Same thing he did in Cleveland, failing to come through in the playoffs. I never had a good feeling when he pitched for the Tribe during the playoffs. You never knew which which guy was showing up and most of the time it was the one with zero confidence.
    I think I heard on PTI tonight (and just reconfirmed myself) that Sabathia was pitching on three days' rest for the fourth consecutive start. So the blame might not entirely be on him, which is even less surprising when you consider that his manager is one Dale Sveum, former (awful) Red Sox third base coach.

MRD

I cannot believe that The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are in the post season playoffs.

I can remember going to games at Tropicana field when you could have shot off a cannon and not put anyone in imminent harm. In fact, one game we went too there were less than 600 people in attendence. And look at them now! Wow!

It's proof the world has turned upside down.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Last year, I think it was them and the Kansas city Royals that were last in their respective leagues. There is no guarantee that next year they'll even be in the rather.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

THAT game was the most amazing comeback in a playoff game I've ever seen. Wow!
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

+ Reply to Thread