+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2008

Re: Baseball 2008

The Indians dropped the last game to the Yankees 6-3. My buddy in Tennessee did call me today though. He just also happens to be a distant cousin of Roger Clemens so I had to give him hell about that too, asking him if Roger was living in Nashville with Mindy McCready yet.

Unk, I sure hope you saw Asdrubal Cabrera's unassisted triple play in the second game today!!! Wow!!! I'm sure it will make many highlight reels if you didn't catch it live.

According to the STO announcers, it was only the 13th in Major League regular season play.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I didn't see it veej but I'll go looking for it. That's amazing.
    ETA
    Cleveland, OH -- (Sports Network) - Cleveland Indians second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera completed the 14th unassisted triple play in major league history in the fifth inning of Tuesday's nightcap of a doubleheader with the Toronto Blue Jays.

With Marco Scutaro on first base and Kevin Mench on second, Lyle Overbay smashed a line drive up the middle off Indians pitcher Cliff Lee with both runners going on contact. Cabrera dove to his right to make the catch, stepped on second to retire Mench, then tagged out Scutaro, who was standing next to second base.

It was the first unassisted triple play in the majors since Troy Tulowitzki accomplished the feat for the Rockies on April 29, 2007 against Atlanta.

The Indians had not recorded an unassisted triple play in nearly 88 years, since Bill Wambsganss recorded the second such play in big league history on October 10, 1920. Cleveland also recorded the first unassisted triple play in the majors when Neal Ball pulled off the feat on July 19, 1909.

The Indians are the only franchise to record three unassisted triple plays.
    Indians 2B Cabrera Records Unassisted Triple Play - MLB News Story - KNTV | San Francisco

ETA II Here's a video from MLB.

The Official Site of Major League Baseball: Multimedia: Video Playback Page
    Last edited by Unklescott; 05-13-2008 at 12:19 AM.

When I saw that on the news last night I was a little mad at myself for paying more attention to DWTS than the game but I am soo happy for Dru!! YAY!

♥Ali♥Gia♥Rozlyn♥ OutsideLookinIn's Avatar

Any Yankee fan out here?

Our pitching is bad like last season ...

Heard David wells is offering himself to pitch for the Yanks this season... Maybe we should give him a try instead of going back and forth to the minors and keep bringing up Igawa and Kennedy... I have 'faith' in Kennedy since he's still young BUT not on Igawa... Igawa needs to go back to Japan, $mil salary and all

Anyways, another tough loss for Andy last night after pitching 'lights out' in the 1st inning ... No offense as usual... I thought Andy would come out with a 'W' last night after having success with Tampa Bay all his career...
    Last edited by OutsideLookinIn; 05-13-2008 at 01:57 PM.
    "Unfortunately, I did not get any out of this big sex scandal that supposedly happened. If I had known that I was going to get accused of it, maybe I would have gone for it!" -- ROZLYN (Bachelor 14)
    -----------
    BRAD is still "THE HOTTEST Bachelor" ever!

Quote Originally Posted by OutsideLookinIn;2991998;
    Any Yankee fan out here?
    Yes there are but I'm definitely not one.
    My Indians sweep Oakland and are in 1st place in the Central division by 1½ games!

Congratulations to Jon Lester...an amazing young man.
    Lester adds no-hitter to unbelievable tale - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Lester adds no-hitter to unbelievable tale

The conga line to congratulate Jon Lester on his no-hitter had formed, and one of his Boston Red Sox teammates, caught up in the moment and oblivious to the long-range microphone on the TV broadcast, said what everyone else was thinking.

“Un-(bleeping)-believable,” the teammate said. “Unbelievable.”

As much as that summed up the night on which Lester turned the Kansas City Royals’ bats to swizzle sticks in a 7-0 victory, it applies more appropriately to the past year of his life, where the no-hitter stands out as merely his third-greatest accomplishment.

Which is rather remarkable, because the 24-year-old Lester was great Monday night, his final pitch dashing across the plate at 96 mph, the hardest he threw all evening, Alberto Callaspo nothing more than the patsy to swing and miss. It set off a celebration reminiscent of last October, when the left-handed Lester started Game 4 of the World Series and locked down the Colorado Rockies for five shutout innings, earning the championship-clinching win in his first postseason start.

And still, not even that registers as Lester’s coup de grace. He beat cancer last year. Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, diagnosed in late 2006 because of a sore back that he thought stemmed from a car crash. Lester fought it into remission and worked himself back into baseball shape. On this day last year, he pitched at Triple-A Pawtucket and threw 3 2/3 scoreless innings. In July, he returned to Boston. By the end of October, he was getting fitted for a World Series ring.

His story is one of perseverance and triumph and everything else that deserves a sappy soundtrack. Most of all, it’s of strength, of Lester building up enough stamina to throw 130 pitches, as many as any starter has thrown since the 2006 season, and saving his best for last.
    CYA

Let's go RED SOX!!!!
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by OutsideLookinIn;2991998;
    Any Yankee fan out here?

Our pitching is bad like last season ...

Heard David wells is offering himself to pitch for the Yanks this season... Maybe we should give him a try instead of going back and forth to the minors and keep bringing up Igawa and Kennedy... I have 'faith' in Kennedy since he's still young BUT not on Igawa... Igawa needs to go back to Japan, $mil salary and all

Anyways, another tough loss for Andy last night after pitching 'lights out' in the 1st inning ... No offense as usual... I thought Andy would come out with a 'W' last night after having success with Tampa Bay all his career...

I'm a Yankee fan and agree totally that our pitching sucks...They need to get rid of Mussina, he got his a$$ handed to him by the O's yesterday...Giving up 7 runs in the 1st inning...I don't think bringing in Wells would help us either...I think he's past his prime...

Going tonight to watch the A's and Yankees play...I hope my Yankees win tonight...

+ Reply to Thread