+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Conference Quarterfinals

2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Conference Quarterfinals

As the matchups in the east are set, I thought I'd start this thread, giving my thoughts (not necessarily predictions) on each series. Once the west is set after today, I will give my thoughts on that conference. Assuming all the choking coming from Colorado isn't so overpowering I go deaf AND blind.

(1)Ottawa vs (8)NY Islanders
    Well once again the Rangers couldn't do it. Were any of us surprised to hear that Anson Carter hadn't scored in nine games, Alexi Kovalev wasn't scoring, and then there was Eric Lindros. And Messier. *shudder* But enough about the overpaid, whiny ass Rangers. The Chapter 11 Senators had it in them to play with all they have, never give up, control what they can, and win. Win more than any other team in the league as they won the Presidents Trophy. I have to be honest, I'm pulling for Ottawa to win Stanley. If Ottawa wins him, Chris Phillips might bring him to Duckyville. DUDE, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME. The only other Fort McMurrayite sort of playing in the NHL is Scottie Upshall and that's for Nashville and... no. As for the New York Islanders I think Ottawa fans will enjoy booing Yashin. Garth Snow in net means Ottawa will win this series. I mean, really. Garth Snow?

(2)New Jersey vs (7)Boston
    This series could honestly go either way. It depends on who shows up. Joe Thornton will definitely show up, he's been showing up all season. If the Devils can't score Boston could win. If Marty Brodeur shuts the door, New Jersey will win. But if Boston scores 8 goals a game like they did in the finals, something tells me the Devs who rely on Jamie Langenbrunner and Scott Gomez for the majority of their offence won't win. Of course getting one goal past Brodeur is a tough task, and he can play well in one-goal game situations.

(3)Tampa Bay vs (6)Washington
    Tampa Bay is not only in the playoffs but they won the division. Ok, yes it is the southest division, but there was some competition this year in the form of Washington. Unlike Carolina last year I can't see Tampa Bay going to the finals. They may be able to pull of some upsets, like if they face New Jersey or something. They'll have to get past Washington first though, and Washington also has an upset in them. But that's only if the good Capitals show up and not the bad ones. Has anyone else noticed that, there's a good Washington team that wins 12-2 and there's a bad one that loses 6-0. Khabibulin has never won a playoff series, but then Tampa Bay has never been in the playoffs so neither have the rest of the team. This could go either way but I don't see more than 6 games.

(4)Philadelphia vs (5)Toronto
    Prepare the hospitals, Philly is playing Toronto. Remember how bloody their NYI series was? That will look like a bunch of tea-sipping tree huggers playing with precious china sticks compared to this series. I see lots of hitting, fighting, and scoring. Eddie vs the Unibrow Freak - I'd put my money on Belfor. Assuming he doesn't "sleep in" and miss a game like he missed practice the other day.

There! That was my first attempt at discussing the playoffs. How'd I do?

Very good duckygirl. I like the way you think. My predictions...

Series 1)Ottawa/Ny Islanders:the Islanders couldn't even win to MAKE the playoffs when they needed too, never mind winning in the playoffs. Islanders, I wouldn't be booking return airfare to Ottawa. Ottawa in 4

Series 2)NJ Devils/Boston: This could be the Eastern upset. Definetly 7 low scoring games. Boston in 7.

Series 3)Tampa Bay/Washington: The Bhulin wall is up. Tampa Bay has a lot of young talent that has nothing to lose. They will be loose and having a party. Tampa Bay in 6.

Series 4) Philadelphia/Toronto: Personally, I don't like Belfour. On the ice though, he is something else. I keep wanting him to land on his face and he keeps dissapointing me. Belfour could quite possibly do what Cujo couldn't, bring the cup to Toronto. This could set up a all-Canadian Eastern Final.I shudder at the thought but...Toronto in 7.

There, my thoughts and predictions on the East. Disagree at your leisure.

Wouldn't a(nother) Tampa Bay win this year really throw the universe out of alignment?

I agree.

Tampa Bay is Carolina - no on will expect them to do anything and they will do everything. TB in 6.

I agree, definitley Ottawa over the Isles. I might give them a game though. Ottawa in 4 or 5.

Devils/Boston won't go to a game seven - it will take 6 games though with a couple lengthy OTs. If Hackett is on, maybe Boston. If it's Sheilds though, gotta give it to Brodeur. I can't decide, but winner in 6.

Toronto in 7 - yup.

It doesn't matter who the East teams are, or how they perform, because as we ALL KNOW, Detroit's going for a repeat.

(ouch, quit that, Ducky!)

*is beating John with her shoe*

They are not you liar. And you know why? Cujo. There's no way they can win the cup with Cujo.

Also, I don't think KLSJDFKLJASRTLKJ BOOYA COLORADO SCORED that any of those East teams, apart from maybe New Jersey and Ottawa, could beat the West team anyway.

Bottom half of the west is decided as of now, with the Minnesota win.

5- St Louis
    6- Minnesota
    7- Anaheim
    8- Edmonton

ETA: The Avs just won, Hejduk got fifty and Forsberg took over the scoring lead. If the Canucks lose against LA in regulation Colorado will win the division. It is still scoreless in Vancouver going into the third.

OMG LA WINS - LA WINS! COLORADO WINS THE DIVISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by duckgirl; 04-06-2003 at 06:27 PM.

Colorado wins division. Vancouver loses to LA 2-0
    Headlines
    Iran says it shot down unmanned US spy plane.
    Lemonade recalled due to possibleglass fragments in Canada.
    Lindsay Lohan to join Celebrity Big Brother.

Anybody else need a dandelion break???

Does anyone else think the Canucks got worn down in the race to the division lead? May be trouble in the playoffs.
    Headlines
    Iran says it shot down unmanned US spy plane.
    Lemonade recalled due to possibleglass fragments in Canada.
    Lindsay Lohan to join Celebrity Big Brother.

Anybody else need a dandelion break???

Now the West matchups are set.

(1)Dallas vs (8)Edmonton
    So who thought Kevin Lowe was crazy when he traded away Anson Carter and Janne Niniimaa? Don't be shy. I thought he was crazy. You did too. But Dvorak, Isbister and Cross, believe it or not, have actually worked out well. Of course, Edmonton is playing Dallas again. I see seven games. I see an Edmonton upset. OK, I just want an Edmonton upset cause I hate the Stars. But they can do it, if Tommy Salo plays well.

(2)Evil Detroit vs (7)Anaheim
    Anahem is in the playoffs. You know what this means, right? Paul Kariya through spring baybee! Ahem. I can't really see Anaheim winning though, I hate to say it. San Jose did it in '94, and Jersey beat them in '95 in the finals. I hope they can do it but I wouldnt count on it.

(3)COLORADO!!! vs (6)Minnesota
    Buh bye Wild. Nice of you to show up. OK ok, maybe the Wild can do it but I love Colorado so no. No no no.

(4)Vancouver vs (5)St Louis
    Vancouver will win this series. Depending on who they face in the second round they could win that one too. But if the game today was an example of how they play under pressure,well...
    Last edited by duckgirl; 04-06-2003 at 08:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast