+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Conference Quarterfinals

No prob. Teams are re-seeded after each round.

I might be getting some tickets if some other thigns work out. I hope I can. Maybe they'll move on!! *drinks delusion juice*

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Ah, have faith . I hear Turco may have a strained groin.If that develops into a full out injury or tear, he's toast.Dallas may be good , but I wouldn't bet on their chances without a goaltender, especially if Edmonton is in good form.

Silverstar, you must be very brave to kick Chara's butt

Speaking of delusion juice we all know Toronto's going to win
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really really hope Dallas wins the cup! Yes for Claude Lemieux! I hope Turco is healthy or else they will be toast.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    They were reporting it on NHL channel last night. They had been deliberately keeping it quiet, hoping that the break would heal it enough so he could play ok.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Originally posted by duckgirl
    Vancouver will win their series. Edmonton will get a game or two against Dallas but Dallas will win the series. Anaheim... well I'm having San Jose flashbacks to '94 when Irbe shut Detroit down and thinking, "If Irbe can, Giguere can!" Colorado should win, but it will take 6 or 7.
    Ah, flashbacks to '94. Good times, good times... I was at all three games of the series in SJ. And when Jamie Baker scored the winning goal in Game 7 I jumped so far off the couch I nearly hit my head on the ceiling. Actually, until 1997 I'd been to every home playoff game in Sharks history, including Game 4 in '95 when the Wings swept the Sharks - and the fans gave the team a cheering, standing ovation for the final 5 minutes of the game when we knew victory was out of reach. Watching the players tap their sticks on the ice in salute to the fans for the ovation still brings chills to my spine and tears to my eyes as the most memorable sporting moment of my life. The Sharks took out a full page ad in the San Jose Mercury News to thank us for our support after that game.

But this isn't about the San Jose Golfers, er, Sharks. This is about the Playoffs, baby! Here are my predictions, such as they are.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    (1)Senators vs (8)Islanders
    The Islanders only won 3 of their last 10. They are facing the highest scoring team in the East. I know that defense wins in the playoffs, but they also gave up nearly 50 more goals against than the Senators. No contest - Sens in a walk. MAYBE the Isles will manage to get to a 5th game.

(2)Devils vs (7)Bruins
    Neither won the majority of their games down the stretch, but New Jersey only suffered one loss - in OT - in their last 10 games. They played 49 1-goal games during the season and managed at least a point in 40 of them - they know how to play well in close games - and the tied the Flyers for fewest goals against in the league with 166. The Bruins on the other hand, well, (sorry JR) are horrible. They wouldn't have even made the playoffs if they were in the West. Late in the season they blew a 2-0 lead against San Jose, allowed only one shot in the 3rd - and it went in the net, giving them a 3-2 loss. Their goaltending is suspect, and other than Thornton, they don't have much going. Former Shark Jeff Friesen, who quietly put together a very nice 51 pt season, has at least 1 important goal. Devils in 5.

(3)Lightning vs (6)Capitals
    Yes, only 1 point separated them during the season. Yes, Jagr is one of the most prolific scorers the league has ever seen. Yes, Tampa struggled down the stretch. But the Lightning will win a close series. Tampa in 6 or 7.

(4)Flyers vs (5)Leafs
    This will be the most physical series in the first round - East or West. It will be mean. It will be ugly. It will be brutal. But the Flyers can't score, and Belfor will come through in the playoffs. Speaking of playoff performers, Nolan had 40 of his 58 pts against the East this year. He's the kind of player that saves his best for the post season. Look for him to score some big goals and bang the opposition - exactly what the Leafs wanted him for. Yes, I'm former Sharks biased. And yes, I'm going to be right. Leafs in a bloody, yet surprisingly short 5 games.

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    (1)Stars vs (8)Oilers
    I hate the Dallas Stars with every fiber of my being. Well, ever fiber that isn't reserved for my hatred of the Detroit Red Wings, but you get the idea. Sadly, they're too damned good when Turco is in net. The Oilers have somehow always managed to play the Stars tough, and I think they will in this series as well. But it won't be enough. Stars in 6.

(2)Evil Empire vs (7)Ducks
    We know my feelings regarding Detriot. They are evil. I despise them. They are old, but they are very, very good. The Ducks are a much improved team. Oates has been a great addition to the squad. I expect he and Kariya to give the aging ones some trouble, but in the end the Wings will be too much for the Ducks. Wings in 5 or 6. And sadly, the Ducks won't provide enough of a beating to wear Detroit down too much for the second round.

(3)Avalanche vs (6)Wild
    You can look at this two ways. 1)An enexperienced rookie coach that took over at mid-season vs one of the best coaches the league has ever known, or 2)One of the most consistently excellent teams the league has seen in decades vs a third year upstart. I tend to think that both views are true, which is why I think it might be possible for Minnesota to upset the Colorado. The Wild have surprised everyone, and have nothing to lose. Their coach will no doubt unveil a strategy that might confound the Avs. The question is will that be enough to beat the might Avs? No. But it will be far from a cake-walk. Avs in 6.

(4)Canucks vs (5)Blues
    Personally, I think the Avs would have had a much easier time with the Blues than with the Wild. This isn't the Blues team we're used to seeing; they're undisciplined, and without Pronger, they weren't particularly good defensively. Their goaltending is simply not good. While the Canucks were my pick to win it all as recently as a few weeks ago, they faltered down the stretch. Still, I think they were embarrassed enough by their final game loss to the Kings that they will finally put it together as a team. They are big, tough, and physical, and they will dominate the Blues. In the easiest series of the first round, they will sweep the Blues 4-0.

And there you have it, my completely random, biased, inept predictions for the first round. My quest to win the office's covetted Stanley PUCK is under way.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Hey your picks are the same as mine Wayner - completely random, biased and inept ...

For those who like the cold hard facts -- Brrrrrrrr

Eastern Conference
    Ottawa- NY Islanders
    New Jersey-Boston
    Tampa Bay - Washington
    Philadelphia - Toronto

Western Conference
    Dallas - Edmonton
    Detriot-Anaheim
    Colorado-Minnesota
    Vancouver - St Louis

Doh, gotta go. I thought I had time.

But yeah.

Go Avs!

I can't believe it's taken me this long to get to this thread.. I've been busy.

I'm a little sad to see ATH Locked.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

My picks.. based sheerly on gut instinct.

East
    Ottawa
    Boston (just this little feeling)
    Tampa Bay
    Philadelphia (some call me a traitor, I say I'm realistic)

West
    Dallas
    Anaheim Okay, okay.. Detroit
    Colorado
    Vancouver. Barely
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Me too. Maybe it will be unlocked after the playoffs are done. But for now... playoff threads! It's shiny and new.

Boston, maybe, it all depends on goaltending. 3 out of the last 5 years NJ has been knocked out in the first round. the 2 years they werent, they went to the cup final. The thing for Jersey is getting out of round one.

Anaheim can do it. *lalalala drinks delusion juice*

Remember what happened to the Original Mighty Ducks.

Maybe they can call Joshua Jackson and perform a miracle.

I would love to see Detroit get knocked out of the first round at the hands of Paul Kariya & Co.

Sweet.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread