+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Conference Quarterfinals

Now the Western predictions...

Series 1) Dallas/Edmonton: Edmonton enters the playoffs winless in 4 (3 ties 1 loss). The ties were lucky comebacks that hid some bad defence. Some people will say that the Oilers didn't care after making the playoffs, that they just floated through the last 4 games. Time will tell. Dallas has something to prove after last year. Sometimes missing the playoffs when it was assumed you would make it is the best thing to happen to a team. I will be cheering Edmonton but...Dallas in 6.

Series 2) Detroit/Anaheim: Does anyone think that Detroit will lose to this Mickey Mouse controlled team? Detroit in 5

Series 3) Colorado/Minnesota: I'm picking this as my upset in the West. No particular reason, just because Minnesota is a very disciplined team and it sets up a Dallas/Minnesota in the next round. Minnesota in 7.

Series 4) Vancouver/StLouis: The worst thing that can happen to a team is to stumble into the playoffs. If Vancouver was playing ANYONE else other than StLouis, I would be picking the other team. Vancouver in 6.

And finally Ottawa vs Detroit for the Stanley Cup. My crystal ball does not see far enough to pick the winner, but best guess...
    Detroit!
    Headlines
    Iran says it shot down unmanned US spy plane.
    Lemonade recalled due to possibleglass fragments in Canada.
    Lindsay Lohan to join Celebrity Big Brother.

Anybody else need a dandelion break???

Duckgirl...you must be a fast typer!
    Headlines
    Iran says it shot down unmanned US spy plane.
    Lemonade recalled due to possibleglass fragments in Canada.
    Lindsay Lohan to join Celebrity Big Brother.

Anybody else need a dandelion break???

I am.

And I disagree with all of your west predictions!! *cries* Well except Vancouver.

This thread is Stanley-free. How bad. Fixing that now.

*(1)Ottawa vs (8)NY Islanders
    Islanders dominated the last game played between these two, winning 5-2 last month. Hossa has 45 goals, the Sens have the Presidents Trophy. NY struggled to get into the playoffs, though Yashin was strong in March. Little hope for an upset here though.

*(2)New Jersey vs (7)Boston
    Boston has only won eight games outright since March first, but one of those was a big win against the Devils, followed by a crucial tie last Thursday. These teams play tough, close games, but NJ has Broduer, and that should be the difference.

*(3)Tampa Bay vs (6)Washington
    Khabibulin was literally unbeatable in March, winning player of the month honors. 22 yr old Vincent Lecavalier is about to grow up quite a bit, can he keep producing in the high intensity playoffs? Washington is not a great road team, but they are 'gambling' that Jagr can carry them past the first round. I think this might be an upset.

*(4)Philadelphia vs (5)Toronto
    Toronto was active on trade deadline day just to prepare for the playoffs, and they have good depth. Belfour won his 400th game this season, and now he turns his sights on the cup. The question remains, can Mats Sundin see straight after losing most of smile on April 3rd. Some reports say he can't eat solid food yet. On the other hand, Philly has Roman Cechmanek in goal, Roenick, and little else for offense. They need loads of penalty minutes. I think Belfour is better than Philly's goal scoring capabilities.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Ducky, you have Detroit listed twice. I think you have them listed against Dallas, when it's Edmonton Oilers instead (the Oilers are still a team, right? They're not the Edmonton Harry Potters or something?)

Detroit all the way, bay-bee!

I've managed to get a hold of the Mighty Ducks' playoff schedule!

http://www.themats.com/kings/kingsapril1_800.jpg
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Detroit CAN'T go all the way, Cujo can't do it.

Theres Paul Kariya on that thing Zaius. Mmm. And also, ha.

Also, :nono bad you mocking Edmonton John. I put Detroit 8th because it was wishful thinking.

Anyway. I fixed that.

*(1)Dallas vs (8)Edmonton
    The Stars dominated the season series with Edmonton, 3-1-0. Plus they racked up 15 goals in those four games. Turco had a phenominal year in goal. I would like the Oilers to steal a game or two so that perhaps residents of northern Alberta could possible attend a playoff game or two, but Dallas is too strong.

*(2)Detroit vs (7)Anaheim
    --eyes glaze over-- Red Wings Suck! Red Wings Suck! In reality, Detroit should win this series. Fedorov, Hull, Lindstrom... all too much for the Ducks. Giguere ranked second in NHL in shutouts, and a respectable 11th in GAA. He will be seeing a lot of shots though, and Detroit will win this series.

(3)COLORADO!!! vs (6)Minnesota
    Forsberg should be MVP, Hejduk had 50 goals. The Av's enter the playoffs on a high, and that momentum could carry them though. They should be favored to win this series.

(4)Vancouver vs (5)St Louis
    Vancouver suffered a tough loss today. Losing the division on the last day, Nashlund lost the goal lead to Hejduk, and the points lead to Forsberg. Plus, they fall down to a difficult match up for them. These two teams score a lot of goals against each other when they meet. Osgood was a necessary pick up, but he has not had a good season, it will be interesting to see if the Blues decide to use Johnson extensively. I expect Vancouver to win this series if they can rapidly get over the disappointment at the end of the regular season.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Vancouver will win their series. Edmonton will get a game or two against Dallas but Dallas will win the series. Anaheim... well I'm having San Jose flashbacks to '94 when Irbe shut Detroit down and thinking, "If Irbe can, Giguere can!" Colorado should win, but it will take 6 or 7.

+ Reply to Thread