+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Conference Quarterfinals

Too funny Wayner!

Hey, is Selanne going to take his extension or not???
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Too funny Wayner.

As someone who is exposed to Detroit radio with the touch of a dial, you're 100% correct.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Too funny Wayner & Bill ... Evil Eisner pig dogs will never hold the sacred cup...

Did everyone enjoy Stevie Y's fit in the penalty box? Last 5 mins Slashing- diving , very nice champion behavior :fyou

Selanne is waiting for the new GM isn't he? Lanny McDonald is available, he's po'd that sutter was made GM of Calgary..

Oh My Eva , Using your tiny babies for attention from Claude ...now why didn't I think of that ?(The pic is just off a fan site.)

That was great humor Wayner!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Shayne Corson resigned from the Leafs according to TSN .
    WTF during playoffs ? loser...

God, what a complete tosser.
    Who does that?

You're a healthy scratch, don't you try to impress during training and regain your place?
    "That's Numberwang!"

See... if you weren't a retard you would do that. Unfortunately... Corson is a retard.

So, nothing really new there.

Also wtf, Brodeur pulled and there is no Devils sweep.

And Edmonton!! *shakes head*

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Well, I guess Boston isn't going down easy . Good for them , it's embarrassing to be swept. Like the wings are -LMAO
    It's looking like a game 7 for the stars/oilers. Neither team can get on a good roll.

As for Corson - I was rough on him and I apologize. I know better than anyone what chronic illness is ...From the Toronto Star

Scared' Corson leaves
    Apr. 16, 2003. 01:00 AM
    Veteran's health the major reason for untimely exit

`I have to start taking care of myself,' he says
    mark zwolinski and paul hunter
    Sports Reporters

Shayne Corson insists he did not bail on his teammates.

But a desire to finally correct his failing health a situation, he says, that makes him "scared" pushed him to leave the Maple Leafs, a decision that could well be his final act as an NHL player.

"The most important thing is my teammates. I love those guys. I think they're good enough to win and I want them to win the Cup," Corson said last night. "But I have to start taking care of myself.

"It has been a wonderful three years in Toronto, to play for the Maple Leafs is a dream come true, but I couldn't be myself, not around my friends, not around my family. I have to get better and that has to be my priority in my life right now."

The 36-year-old forward resigned from the team during a meeting with coach and general manager Pat Quinn following Monday night's 4-3 double overtime victory over Philadelphia. Corson was a healthy scratch in that game.

On the surface, it appears that Corson, a proud but rarely utilized athlete, quit the team in a fit of pique after being bumped from the lineup. Fledgling Paul Healey and a seventh defenceman, Phil Housley, who only played one shift, and other veterans such as Tom Fitzgerald and Jonas Hoglund all had places ahead of him.

Corson often grumbled that he felt he should still be an important and contributing fixture in the Toronto lineup and, in February, he questioned whether Quinn and the coaching staff had any confidence in him as a player.

The post-season is when Corson was usually relied on to play his best hockey but when he averaged less than 10 minutes in the first two games against the Flyers, it was obvious the Barrie native was not going to be a big part of Toronto's plans.

But Corson said he had an amicable conversation with Quinn and the two agreed, that it was best if the winger left the team.

Corson has battled both physical and mental health issues since joining the Leafs as a free agent in 2000. Since he was 15, he has taken medication to control ulcerative colitis and, in October, 2001, he went public, saying his first season in Toronto was hampered by severe panic attacks.

His colitis flared up recently and that, combined with his tenuous position on the team, may have triggered more anxiety problems.

"This is the best time of year to be playing hockey and I want to be there," he said. "But I wasn't getting any better and I can't give it another week, not even a day. I just can't do it. I've seen people not get better and the bottom line is I have to get better, I have to be myself again."

Corson said he had his teammates in mind when he finally decided it was best to leave. He said he did not want his situation to become a distraction in the dressing room.

"A lot of things (with his health) have scared me, not just now, but for a long time now," he said. "At the same time you bleed blue and white and it's just been very hard on me not to be able to contribute the way I want."

Darcy Tucker, Corson's teammate and brother-in-law, said the situation reached a point where Corson had to put himself first and step away from a situation that was only creating more stress in his life.

"This isn't a decision that he doesn't want to play right now," said Tucker. "It might be a decision that he doesn't want to play hockey at all any more. You just don't know when you think it's time to go, but maybe it's just time to go. You can't begrudge a guy for doing it.

"Sometimes, you have to make decisions before you go crazy," he added. "Sometimes people come to a point where they just snap and do something that's not smart and rash and he wanted (peace of mind) before he did something like that."

When a Star reporter knocked on the door of Corson's North Toronto home yesterday, his wife, Kelly, said her husband was leaving to see a doctor.

"He's been having some problems for a while now," she said.

The Leafs confirmed that Corson had left the team but declined further comment. Quinn is expected to address the situation today.

Tucker said anyone that suggests Corson, a member of Canada's Olympic team in 1998, bailed on his team doesn't understand the situation.

"I don't think people should throw stones until they know what they're throwing at," Tucker said.

Last edited by eny; 04-16-2003 at 08:28 AM.

I knew Shayne wouldn't bail out just cuz he was benched. My husband and I used to be friends with him and he wasn't like that. He needs to fix his medical problems and head problems too, if that's possible.(not trying to be mean, but his marbles aren't all there). I wish him nothing but the best and I do hope the Leafs can go far!

As for Dallas winning, this may surprise those of you who "know"me, but I'm not too happy. The 2 games the Stars won, my Claude was benched!:mad: . He needs to play in 10 more playoff games to beat the record and doesn't look like Tipitt cares! Claude is sooooo underrated!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Eva , do you have nhl channel ? I was thinking of you last night - they had a highlight show on .... Claude. I missed the first part , but it was him talking about his Stanley wins, his time in Phoenix , and his trying for another cup with Dallas.
    If you don't -its worth every cent especially in the summer hockey drought.

I feel badly about Corson , I have had some chronic health problems and it can't be easy to go through that stuff plus have the media on your butt. Good thing he left and put his health first, but I think it could have been handled much better by the Leafs by saying in the beginning he had left for health reasons instead of just "he quit."

+ Reply to Thread