+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News 2008

NASCAR News 2008

Robby Gordon switches to Dodge for 2008
    Jayski'sŪ Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup News Page
    Something up with Robby Gordon? UPDATE teams up with GEM..to Dodge: been hearing a bunch of rumors the last few days about Robby Gordon Motorsports, driver/owner Robby Gordon and the #7 Ford. Everything from he is selling the team, merging the team or/and switching manufacturers. Rumored teams include Yates Racing, Gillett Evernham Motorsports and Hall of Fame Racing. I have been told Gordon tested at California Speedway Thursday, then left and headed back to California and didn't test there Friday, and he is not listed on the California Test Speeds and News page.
    UPDATE: Gillett Evernham Motorsports today announced a technical, manufacturing and marketing services agreement with Robby Gordon Motorsports which will race Dodges in the 2008 Sprint Cup season. Gordon's team will use Gillett Evernham Motorsports Dodge engines when practice begins next week at Daytona International Speedway. BAM Racing and Petty Enterprises also use Gillett Evernham Motorsports engines and receive technical assistance. Gillett Evernham Motorsports fields cars for drivers #9-Kasey Kahne, #19-Elliott Sadler and #10-Patrick Carpentier in the Sprint Cup Series as well as a Nationwide Series entry. "I feel this agreement with Gillett Evernham Motorsports helps make the learning curve of the COT little bit easier to navigate," said Gordon whose 28th-place finish in owner points was the best of any single-car team in 2007. "I like what they have going on over there and I think both organizations will benefit. As an owner I want to do what is best for my employees and sponsors." Gordon's move to Dodge comes after one year with Ford. "Ford has been very good to me, and this move is not a reflection on our relationship at all," said Gordon. "Ford was planning on supporting me, and even increasing its engineering support for my program in 2008. However, I felt that I needed to make this move to help put my team in a more stable financial situation in terms of marketing and sponsorship help." Based in Charlotte North Carolina, Robby Gordon Motorsports is home to the No. 7 Dodge. With sponsorship from Jim Beam, Menards, Mapei, and Camping World Robby Gordon will run the entire 2008 Sprint Cup series schedule.(Gillett Evernham Motorsports PR)(2-1-2008)

Re: NASCAR News 2008

Stewart, Ku. Busch placed on probation for six races
    By Official Release
    February 12, 2008
    02:57 PM EST

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR has placed drivers Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch on probation for the first six races of the 2008 Sprint Cup Series season, a result of their on-track altercations Friday during practice for the Budweiser Shootout.

Stewart, driver of the No. 20 Toyota and Busch, driver of the No. 2 Dodge, violated Section 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing; altercation with another competitor) of the NASCAR rule book.

The probations start Wednesday, as practice begins for the season-opening Daytona 500.

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said the drivers were disciplined solely for the on-track portion of their clash, when the drivers deliberately used their cars as battering rams.

"We will continue to keep a check on this sport and won't let it get out of hand," Poston said. "If there is a repeat between these two, then we will take it much more seriously."

Busch and Stewart, former series champions with a history of clashing on the track, crashed during the final practice session Friday night (read more).

Busch attempted to block Stewart and got hit from behind, damaging both cars. Busch retaliated by slamming into the side of Stewart's car three times as they drove back toward the garage. Stewart then used his car to block Busch from exiting the track (watch video).

Both drivers immediately were told to meet with NASCAR officials, and Stewart and Busch continued to bicker during the heated, closed-door meeting, during which Stewart allegedly threw a punch at Busch (read more).

NASCAR officials came into this season saying drivers would be given more latitude to show emotion this year, and the relatively light nature of Tuesday's punishments would seem to support that.

In the past, officials haven't necessarily punished a driver more harshly if he misbehaves while on probation. Poston said that's going to change. "In the past we've used 'probation for the rest of the year,' but it's never been something that's been exercised. It never seemed to really mean anything," he said.

"Now we are going to take action. If you are on probation for an altercation with another driver, and you have a second incident during that probation period, we are going to take action."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

NASCAR.COM - Stewart, Ku. Busch placed on probation for six races - Feb 12, 2008

From another article at NASCAR.COM
    Although NASCAR officials have cracked down on misbehavior in recent years, they came into this season saying they were more receptive to drivers showing their emotions -- the "NASCAR we fell in love with," as Hunter called it.

But Hunter said Saturday officials weren't comfortable with drivers expressing that emotion by deliberately bending fenders.

"When I say that's the NASCAR we fell in love with, I'm not talking about a guy taking his car and ramming another car on the racetrack," Hunter said. "I'm talking about drivers getting out and showing that I'm mad, I'm upset and venting that emotion. They certainly did that."

Would Stewart and Busch have been better off getting out of their cars and confronting each other face to face?

"Absolutely," Hunter said. "I'm not saying I would have liked to have seen them get out of the car and duke it out. If they were going to do that, I would hope they would have enough sense to keep their helmets on."
    Where's Jimmy Spencer when you need him.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

Race car drivers fighting with their helmets on would be like beginning hockey players trying to fight on skates.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2791773;
    From another article at NASCAR.COM

Where's Jimmy Spencer when you need him.

Gosh, we haven't even made it to the 500 and the schoolyard bullies have already been called to the Principals office.

Engine problems for Hendricks.
    Jayski'sŪ Silly Season Site - Sprint Cup News Page
    Engine problems pile up: #88-Earnhardt Jr. lost and engine midway thru the 2nd Wed practice at Daytona International Speedway and the team will change engines, then it was mentioned on SPEED's coverage that all the Hendrick Motorsports cars #24-Gordon, #48-Johnson, Earnhardt and #5-Mears will change engines as there is some sort of lifter problem. #66-Riggs team is changing engines, also uses Hendrick engines and the other teams that run Hendrick engines are checking them out: #09-Marlin, #87-Wallace, #70-Mayfield and #78-Nemechek [not changing engines]. Also #07-Bowyer lost an engine and is changing their engine.
    confirmed engine changes: #48-Johnson, #5-Mears, #24-Gordon, #66-Riggs, #96-Yeley, #07-Yeley and #88-Earnhardt Jr. that means these drivers have to fall to the rear of the pack before the drop of the green flag for the Gatorade Duel they are running. #84-Allmendinger's team already changed engines over the past weekend. This does NOT effect where they start the Daytona 500. Team are allowed to change engines between the Duels and the Daytona 500.(2-13-2008)

Jr won the first 150. That boy is on a roll.
    ETA Hamlin wins the 2nd giving Toyota their 1st win.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 02-14-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Daytona 500 Starting Lineup

POS CAR DRIVER MAKE SPONSOR SPEED TIME BEHIND
    1 48 Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet Lowe's 187.075 48.109 Leader
    2 55 Michael Waltrip Toyota NAPA AUTO PARTS 186.734 48.197 -0.088
    3 88 Dale Earnhardt Jr. Chevrolet AMP Energy / National Guard - - -
    4 11 Denny Hamlin Toyota FedEx Express - - -
    5 41 Reed Sorenson Dodge Target - - -
    6 20 Tony Stewart Toyota The Home Depot - - -
    7 12 Ryan Newman Dodge ALLTEL - - -
    8 24 Jeff Gordon Chevrolet DuPont - - -
    9 5 Casey Mears Chevrolet Kellogg's / CARQUEST - - -
    10 9 Kasey Kahne Dodge Budweiser - - -
    11 99 Carl Edwards Ford Office Depot - - -
    12 8 Mark Martin Chevrolet U.S. Army - - -
    13 43 Bobby Labonte Dodge Cheerios / Betty Crocker - - -
    14 6 David Ragan Ford AAA - - -
    15 42 Juan Montoya Dodge Texaco / Havoline - - -
    16 29 Kevin Harvick Chevrolet Shell / Pennzoil - - -
    17 187 Kenny Wallace Chevrolet Furniture Row/ DenverMattress.com - - -
    18 16 Greg Biffle Ford 3M - - -
    19 77 Sam Hornish Jr.* Dodge Mobil 1 - - -
    20 44 Dale Jarrett Toyota UPS - - -
    21 15 Paul Menard Chevrolet PEAK / Menards - - -
    22 34 John Andretti Chevrolet Makoto - - -
    23 83 Brian Vickers Toyota Red Bull - - -
    24 18 Kyle Busch Toyota M&M's - - -
    25 1 Martin Truex Jr. Chevrolet Bass Pro Shops / Tracker - - -
    26 7 Robby Gordon Dodge Jim Beam - - -
    27 66 Scott Riggs Chevrolet State Water Heaters - - -
    28 17 Matt Kenseth Ford DEWALT - - -
    29 01 Regan Smith* Chevrolet Principal Financial Group - - -
    30 28 Travis Kvapil Ford K&N Filters - - -
    31 07 Clint Bowyer Chevrolet Jack Daniel's - - -
    32 38 David Gilliland Ford FreeCreditReport.com - - -
    33 70 Jeremy Mayfield Chevrolet Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon - - -
    34 22 Dave Blaney Toyota Caterpillar - - -
    35 19 Elliott Sadler Dodge Best Buy - - -
    36 31 Jeff Burton Chevrolet AT&T Mobility - - -
    37 96 J.J. Yeley Toyota DLP HDTV - - -
    38 26 Jamie McMurray Ford Crown Royal Cask No. 16 - - -
    39 45 Kyle Petty Dodge Wells Fargo - - -
    40 40 Dario Franchitti* Dodge Dodge Journey - - -
    41 78 Joe Nemechek Chevrolet Furniture Row Racing - - -
    42 00 David Reutimann Toyota Aaron's Dream Machine - - -
    43 2 Kurt Busch Dodge Miller Lite Champion's Provisional -
    Did Not Qualify
    44 84 A.J. Allmendinger Toyota Red Bull - - -
    45 21 Bill Elliott Ford Little Debbie - - -
    46 49 Ken Schrader Dodge HealthLife.com - - -
    47 160 Boris Said Ford 7-Eleven Slurpee / No Fear - - -
    48 10 Patrick Carpentier* Dodge Valvoline - - -
    49 137 Eric McClure Chevrolet Hefty - - -
    50 109 Sterling Marlin Chevrolet Miccosukee Resort & Gaming - - -
    51 27 Jacques Villeneuve* Toyota Bill Davis Racing - - -
    52 150 Stanton Barrett Chevrolet NOS Energy Drink / SKI / SBM - - -
    53 08 Carl Long Dodge MILLSTAR Tools / Rhino's Energy Drink - - -

Too bad that Schrader, Sterling and Boris Said didn't make it. It's also the first time ever that a Woods Brothers car hasn't been in the lineup when they have entered.
    On the plus side DJ got in and so did Kenny Wallace.

At least it's not the cup cars.
    Penalties likely for Dale Earnhardt Jr., Michael Waltrip Nationwide Series teams - NASCAR - Yahoo! Sports
    February 15, 2008

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- A pair of high-profile Nationwide Series teams owned by drivers Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Michael Waltrip likely will be penalized after NASCAR inspectors found technical violations before qualifying Friday.

It's not another Daytona cheating scandal -- not yet, anyway -- but inspectors did impound Earnhardt's No. 5 Nationwide car Thursday night after spotting an illegal modification to his rear spoiler. The team got its car back -- minus the spoiler and rear deck lid -- Friday morning.

Officials also confiscated the carburetor from the No. 99 Nationwide car driven by David Reutimann, who drives for Michael Waltrip Racing. The carburetor's venturis were too large, allowing more air to pass through and providing a potential horsepower advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Waltrip's Cup series team was penalized for an illegal fuel additive in the Cup series at Daytona last year, touching off a major cheating scandal.

The backlash for this new round of violations isn't expected to be as harsh, because they're not considered as serious and occurred in NASCAR's second-tier series.

Nationwide series director Joe Balash said penalties could be forthcoming to both teams next week.

``Any time you have a modification like that, the team's trying to make the car go faster,'' Balash said of the spoiler on Earnhardt's car.

Rick Hendrick technically is listed as the owner of Earnhardt's car after Earnhardt's JR Motorsports team and Hendrick merged their Nationwide Series operations beginning this season.

Nationwide assumed title sponsorship this year of what was known as the Busch Series.

NASCAR blasted Robby Gordon for having the wrong nose on his Dodge. I have to agree with Robby. Due to the circumstances I do think 100 points is not fair.
    Jayski'sŪ Silly Season Site - Sprint Cup News Page
    #7 team penalized for Daytona infraction: NASCAR has issued penalties and fines to the #7 team that competes in the Sprint Cup Series, as a result of rule infractions found during Speedweeks at Daytona International Speedway. The #7 Dodge driven and owned by Robby Gordon was found to be in violation of Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components and/or equipment used do not conform to NASCAR rules); and 20-3.10A (unapproved front bumper cover) of the 2008 NASCAR rule book. The violations were found during opening day inspection for the Daytona 500 on Feb. 8. As a result, Gordon has been penalized 100 championship driver and owner points. Crew chief Frank Kerr has been fined $100,000, suspended for the next six Sprint Cup Series events until April 9 and placed on probation until Dec. 31, 2008.(NASCAR PR), Drivers and Owners points have been adusted accordingly. (2-20-2008)
    UPDATE - appeal: Robby Gordon comments: "This was an innocent mistake made by someone not even on my team. They accidentally supplied us the new Dodge noses that NASCAR hasn't yet approved because of what amounted to a clerical error. It was discovered during technical inspection and corrected before the race. It was not even close to being an intent to create some competitive advantage, and the mistake was not even made by my team. This penalty is way out of proportion when you compare it what happened last year when a team was penalized 100 points for adding a substance to the fuel, or when a team deliberately changed the bodies of the COT. To penalize my team the same amount when we didn't even make the mistake, and the mistake was nothing more than inadvertent human error by someone else is just not fair. Other teams who have had similar issues to what happened with the nose on my car were only penalized 25 points. I hope that NASCAR can reconsider when they have all the facts. In the meantime, we have no choice but to appeal this penalty. We started the season off on a high note with a top 10 finish at Daytona and we look forward to continuing that at California and Las Vegas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast