+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News 2008

Re: NASCAR News 2008

Bruton Smith bought Kentucky Speedway. I have mixed emotions on this. If they move a race there it will put a cup race close enough for me to be able to attend rather easily. But i hate to see a race get moved.
    Jayski's® Silly Season Site - Sprint Cup News Page
    Speedway Motorsports has agreed to purchase Kentucky Speedway from Kentucky Speedway, LLC. The agreement was announced today by O. Bruton Smith, founder, chairman and chief executive officer of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. The acquisition is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2008. Kentucky Speedway, which opened in 2000, hosts one NASCAR Nationwide Series event, one NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series event, one IndyCar Series event and other racing events each year. The speedway is located in Sparta, Ky., approximately one-half hour south of Cincinnati, Ohio. The speedway is easily accessible via modern highways. Located on approximately 820 acres, Kentucky Speedway features a 1.5-mile tri-oval speedway, with chair-back grandstand seating for 66,089 spectators, 50 luxury suites with seats for approximately 2,000, 100 private RV spaces, 200 reserved camping spaces and 1,000 unreserved camping spaces. Kentucky Speedway regularly hosts near capacity crowds for its Nationwide Series events. Smith added that he has offered Jerry Carroll, who was instrumental in the development of Kentucky Speedway, the opportunity to remain involved in its future operations.(SMI PR), no word on a Cup race or the lawsuit against NASCAR.(5-22-2008)

Former official sues NASCAR over harassment claims - NASCAR - Yahoo! Sports

By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer 1 hour, 29 minutes ago

As an aspiring racing official, Mauricia Grant had grown used to working in a man’s world.

When she finally made it into NASCAR, Grant was appalled at the way she says she was treated beginning from her first day on the job until her firing last October.

Now she’s suing NASCAR for $225 million, alleging racial and sexual discrimination, sexual harassment and wrongful termination.

“I loved it. It was a great, exciting, adrenaline-filled job where I worked with fast cars and the best drivers in the world,” Grant told The Associated Press. “But there was an ongoing daily pattern (of harassment). It was the nature of the people I worked with, the people who ran it, it trickled down from the top.

“It’s just the way things are in the garage.”
    ADVERTISEMENT

The 32-year-old Grant, who is black, worked as a technical inspector responsible for certifying cars in NASCAR’s second-tier Nationwide Series from January 2005 until her termination. In the lawsuit, she alleged she was referred to as “Nappy Headed Mo” and “Queen Sheba,” by co-workers, was often told she worked on “colored people time,” and was frightened by one official who routinely made references to the Ku Klux Klan.

In addition, Grant said she was subjected to sexual advances from male co-workers, two of whom allegedly exposed themselves to her, and graphic and lewd jokes.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, lists 23 specific incidents of alleged sexual harassment and 34 specific incidents of alleged racial and gender discrimination beginning when she was hired in January 2005 through her October 2007 firing.

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said the organization had not yet reviewed the suit.

“As an equal opportunity employer, NASCAR is fully committed to the spirit and letter of affirmative action law,” Poston said, adding NASCAR has a zero tolerance policy for harassment.

In the lawsuit, Grant said she complained numerous times to her supervisors about how she was treated, to no avail. On one occasion, Grant said Nationwide Series director Joe Balash, her immediate supervisor, was dismissive of her complaints, explaining her co-workers were “former military guys” with a rough sense of humor. “You just have to deal with it,” she says Balash told her.

On another occasion, she alleged Balash participated in the harassment.

“Does your workout include an urban obstacle course with a flat-screen TV on your back?” she claimed Balash asked her during the week of July 28, 2007 while working in Indianapolis.

Grant told the AP her two younger sisters witnessed racial discrimination against the official while visiting her at Daytona International Speedway in 2006 and encouraged her to document every incident going forward.

The lawsuit details a series of those alleged incidents:

— Grant was forced to work outside more often than the white male officials because her supervisors believed she couldn’t sunburn because she was black.

— While riding in the backseat of her car pool at Talladega Superspeedway, co-workers told her to duck as they passed race fans. “I don’t want to start a riot when these fans see a black woman in my car,” she claims one official said.

— When packing up a dark garage at Texas Motor Speedway an official told Grant: “Keep smiling and pop your eyes out ‘cause we can’t see you.”

— When she ignored advances from co-workers, Grant was accused of being gay. She also claimed co-workers questioned the sexual orientation of two other female officials.

After her termination, Grant said she went over her notes and recognized “a pattern of retaliation and discrimination.”

“It didn’t diminish my love for the sport of auto racing, but the job wasn’t always the easiest thing to go to every day,” she said.

Grant said she routinely complained to her supervisors. Two weeks after her final complaint, Grant said she was warned during the week of August 18, 2007 at Michigan International Speedway that she had engaged in “conduct unbecoming of a NASCAR representative” and would be fired unless she changed her behavior. She said the warning stemmed from a confrontation with a track official who stopped her as she passed through a gate to use the restroom.

Roughly two months later, Grant was fired, and NASCAR cited a poor work performance in ending her employment. The lawsuit claims other than a previous warning for using “street” language, Grant had never been disciplined for job performance and routinely received positive reviews.

“It is time for NASCAR to realize that not everbody is going to be bought off and not file a complaint,” said Grant’s attorney, Benedict P. Morelli of Morelli Ratner PC. “Not everybody is going to be intimidated and not file a complaint. Not everybody is going to be blackballed and not file a complaint.”

In addition, the suit claims official Heather Gambino was fired in 2006 for complaining about a sexually hostile work environment. The suit also claims former official Dean Duckett, who is black, was reprimanded and ultimately fired last November for using “aggressive language toward a white co-worker.”

Among those identified in Grant’s suit are Balash, assistant series director Mike Dolan, supervisors Alan Shephard and Dennis Dillon, NASCAR’s senior manager for business relations, the human resources director and 17 of Grant’s fellow officials. All of the defendants are white.

“My supervisors all praised me. I was hanging in there with the guys,” she said. “I am an athletic person. I went over the wall and faced malicious crews and competitive crew chiefs, and I was right there and held it down and was never lazy about it.

“And I knew that once I was terminated, there wasn’t going to be an opportunity for me to find another industry like NASCAR to practice my craft.”

Way to go Tony!
    Stewart donates Michigan prize money to flood relief - USATODAY.com
    COLUMBUS, Ind. (AP) — Tony Stewart's portion of the $136,986 prize for finishing fifth in the NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Michigan will go the American Red Cross for flood relief in his hometown of Columbus.

"I'm happy we got a top-five for everyone in Columbus and that we can do something to help our community out," Stewart said after Sunday's race.

"It's been on my mind all weekend. That's what this top-five is for," he said. "When it's your own community and your own neighbors, it's good to generate a good amount of winnings for them."

Stewart's share of the fifth-place winnings — about 40% — is almost $55,000.

Casey Mears out of the #5 car at Hendrick at years end. Quess who has openly state he is interested--Tony Stewart

Gordon
    Johnson
    Earnhardt
    Stewart
    = dream team
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

It depends on which story you read. .
    # More on Stewart and Haas CNC UPDATE done deal?: Tony Stewart is shopping for car sponsorships in anticipation of a potential partnership with Haas CNC Racing, multiple sources told ESPN.com. Although Stewart has a year left on his contract at Joe Gibbs Racing and JGR officials insist he hasn't asked for a release, the two-time Sprint Cup champion appears prepared to share ownership of Haas Racing's two-car team in 2009. One source close to the situation said there have been discussions with Ryan Newman as the second driver. Newman has said he will not return to Penske Racing if the performance of that team doesn't improve quickly. Newman's name definitely would help draw sponsorship to Haas. "He's talking to every major sponsor that is available out there for this Haas deal," one source said of Stewart and his representatives. "I don't know if it's done, but it sounds like it's very close." Office Depot and Old Spice have emerged as the favorites for at least one of the cars. Office Depot lost its bid to remain with Carl Edwards of Roush Fenway Racing when Aflac was chosen as the primary sponsor of the #99. Sources said there have been discussions with Stewart's representatives that would make Office Depot and Old Spice co-primaries with Office Depot as the lead sponsor. Old Spice already has a relationship with Stewart in the Cup and Nationwide Series. Stewart would not address his future following Sunday's race at Infineon Raceway. JGR president J.D. Gibbs insisted Stewart had not closed the door on signing a long-term deal with the company that brought him to Cup racing in 1999 and helped him win titles in 2002 and 2005. But there is widespread speculation that the reason JGR has rushed Joey Logano into the Nationwide Series is to prepare him to take Stewart's place should Stewart leave. Stewart admitted two months ago there had been inquiries from other teams. He acknowledged there had been talks with Haas CNC that included ownership.(ESPN.com)
    AND: am hearing that Stewart leaving JGR and buying into Haas CNC Racing is a done deal, supposedly the 2nd driver could be Martin Treux Jr. Hearing the sponsors could be UPS and Bass Pro Shops.(6-26-2008)
    UPDATE: supposedly the deal is done, earlier Friday, a source close to the situation said that Chevrolet has agreed to terms with Joe Gibbs Racing to buy Tony Stewart out of his contract with the #20-Toyota Sprint Cup racing team. Stewart will indeed be making the move to Haas CNC Racing, a rumor that has been circulating for months. Supposedly Stewart’s new sponsor will be Office Depot and terms have been finalized regarding the impending sponsorship. In addition, Stewart will be joined by current #12 Penske Racing driver Ryan Newman, who would be sponsored by Burger King. No word yet on what car numbers the drivers will run and an announcement could come as early as next week at the Daytona International Speedway.
    "Smoke" screen or is Stewart interested in the #5 ride? #20- Tony Stewart said Friday the new opening at Hendrick Motorsports could effect his decision about where he drives next season. Hendrick Motorsports announced that Casey Mears would not return in the #5 Chevrolet. "There's no one in the garage area that's not going to look in that direction," Stewart said. "You've got to look at it. Absolutely." Stewart has said he is exploring an ownership option to become the co-owner and a driver for Haas/CNC Racing. He was asked Friday when he might have a decision on his future. "At this morning's announcement [on the #5 car], I don't know," he said. "It may be pushed back even more. We'll wait and see. It's however long it takes to make the right decision. There's a lot of variables to look at. We've got all the information except what happened today. The good news is we still have time to look at it." Stewart is under contract with Joe Gibbs Racing through the 2009 season. JGR officials have said they plan to hold Stewart to his contact obligations in the #20 Toyota. Hendrick did not say who will drive the #5 Chevy next season, but ESPN.com reported Sunday Mark Martin will join the team and take over for Mears full time in one final attempt to win a Cup title.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 06-27-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3084972;
    It depends on which story you read. .
    I know, he will use this to get out of his Gibbs contract--either as an owner or driving for Hendrick.

Richard Hatch Season 1

Richard Hatch Season 1

Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw;3085087;
    I know, he will use this to get out of his Gibbs contract--either as an owner or driving for Hendrick.
    Office Depot says it would sponsor Tony if he leaves Gibbs.

Richard Hatch Season 1

I guess it's a done deal!

NASCAR.COM - Stewart to leave JGR, join Haas CNC as part owner - Jul 9, 2008

Stewart to leave JGR, join Haas CNC as part owner
    Formal announcement set for 2:30 p.m. ET Thursday
    By NASCAR.COM
    July 9, 2008
    12:35 PM EDT

Add another line to Tony Stewart's resume: team owner.

Joe Gibbs Racing announced Wednesday it has agreed to release Stewart, a two-time Cup Series champion, from the final year of his contract. In turn, Stewart is purchasing what is believed to be a 50 percent stake in Haas CNC Racing and will drive for the team in 2009.

"I cannot thank Joe and J.D. Gibbs enough for the opportunity they gave me and for the support they've given me throughout my entire NASCAR career," Stewart said in a team statement. "I've learned so much from them and have a tremendous amount of respect for what they've built.

"I've modeled my USAC and World of Outlaws teams the same way they built their NASCAR team, and I made it a point to find good people to run those programs. If I've learned anything from my time at Joe Gibbs Racing, it's that Joe Gibbs' saying of, 'You win with people,' is incredibly true. They always surrounded me with not just good people, but great people, and the results speak for themselves.

A formal announcement is expected on Thursday. Fans can watch the news conference live on NASCAR.COM at 2:30 p.m. ET (WATCH LIVE).

"We've had a lot of success with Tony in our 12 years here at Joe Gibbs Racing," said J.D. Gibbs, president of JGR. "While this moment is bittersweet, we're parting on good terms and we know that each of us has benefited greatly from the other.

"We grew to two teams in the Sprint Cup Series with Tony and The Home Depot in 1999, and two championships and 32 wins followed. While our time together is coming to an end, we know there's still a lot of racing left this season and we plan to make the most of it. On behalf of everyone at JGR, we're proud of everything we've accomplished together with Tony and we wish him the best in pursuing his dream of NASCAR team ownership."

Stewart was linked to Haas CNC Racing as early as Talladega weekend in April. At that time he said, "A wise person told me it never cost a dime to listen, so right now we're all ears."

Stewart ran five races for JGR in 1997 in what is now known as the Nationwide Series while competing full-time in the IRL IndyCar Series. After winning the IndyCar Series championship in 1997, Stewart upped his Nationwide Series schedule with JGR to 22 races in 1998 in preparation for his rookie season in the Cup Series in 1999.

With a then rookie-record three Cup wins, Stewart collected Raybestos Rookie of the Year honors and finished an impressive fourth in points. After finishing second in Cup points in 2001, Stewart scored his first championship in 2002 by 38 points over Mark Martin. He followed that championship with another title run in 2005 when he beat Greg Biffle for the crown by 35 points.

Stewart's parting from JGR at the conclusion of the 2008 season will end the longest active driver/crew chief relationship in the Sprint Cup garage. Greg Zipadelli will remain as crew chief of the No. 20 Toyota in 2009.

"We've accomplished so much in our 10 years together on the track, and off the track, he's been like a big brother to me. It's a friendship I cherish and expect to continue, even while he stays at Joe Gibbs Racing and I move on," Stewart said.

"No matter what, Tony and I will remain close friends," Zipadelli said. "I know when it comes to the No. 20 team, things will obviously be a lot different next year, but I remain as committed as ever this year to winning races with Tony and securing our spot in the Chase to contend for a third championship."

Stewart currently is 12th in the standings, just two points ahead of Kevin Harvick.

"We can still win races and compete for a championship and go out on top. For 2008, that's my number one goal," said Stewart, who will also compete for JGR in the two Nationwide races still remaining on his original, nine-race series schedule -- Friday at Chicagoland and Aug. 16 at Michigan.

Speculation is that Nationwide rookie Joey Logano will move into the No. 20 car vacated by Stewart. However, sources confirmed to NASCAR.COM that no decision has been made on who will replace Stewart on the team after this season.

"The 20 car has been one of the all-time great partnerships in NASCAR for the last decade with the combination of Tony, Zippy, The Home Depot and Joe Gibbs Racing," team owner Joe Gibbs said. "While we are losing one piece of the puzzle, we think the No. 20 team will remain strong for many years to come."

There is no word on Haas CNC's current stable -- including Scott Riggs in the No. 66 and the No. 70, which has had several drivers this season.

Find this article at:
    NASCAR.COM - Stewart to leave JGR, join Haas CNC as part owner - Jul 9, 2008
    Good for Tony to be out on his own...

Sad that Zippy's not going with him! Although, he's been doing pretty good in Nationwide with a different crew... Could be a good thing, but I hate to see Zippy & Smoke split up...

I know Tony will be happy back in a Chevy!
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Here's another one... I'd sure like to have been a fly on the wall in the same room when Jr heard THIS news... He must be majorly
    Monday, July 07, 2008
    BREAKING NEWS: Teresa Looking To Sell, Newman To Haas-CNC With Jack Daniels Backing
    Sirius NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway is reporting today that Teresa Earnhardt has enlisted the services of Bear, Stearns and Company to find a buyer -- or at least a major financial investor -- for Dale Earnhardt, Inc. Bear Stearns is an investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm based in New York City, and has been charged with finding a buyer for the entire operation. Barring that, Earnhardt is said to be interested in selling at least a minority interest in the team.

DEI President of Global Operations Max Siegel declined to comment on the story when contacted earlier today.

DEI finds itself at a competitive crossroads, with Mark Martin leaving the team at season's end for a new ride with Hendrick Motorsports. Martin Truex Jr. is unhappy with the recent performance of his Bass Pro Shops-sponsored Chevrolet, and has not yet signed the contract extension team officials announced more than four months ago. He currently ranks 14th in championship points, but is likely to fall further behind when NASCAR announces penalties this week for the roofline violation found on Truex's car in opening inspection at Daytona. Team officials admitted last week that they may be forced to trim their roster by one next season if sponsorship cannot be found for Regan Smith's #01 Chevrolet, and reports have surfaced that Paul Menard may also be shopping around his Menard's sponsorship for next season.

DEI President of Global Operations Max Siegel declined to comment on the story earlier today.
    The Motorsports Soapbox: BREAKING NEWS: Teresa Looking To Sell, Newman To Haas-CNC With Jack Daniels Backing
    Last edited by Brodie; 07-09-2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Fix Quote Codes... Twice... :lol
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast