+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 63 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball season 2003

Baseball season 2003

Hey guys! Are there many basesall fans on this site? Being from Montreal and having a loser team for years I have to say the Expos sure impressed me yesterday against the Braves. I'm glad they won, but it's only game 1 and means nothing. Also love the Braves(Javy Lopez makes it impossible not to). Play Ball....

I love the Expos. They are the ultimate underdogs and never seem to bow out gracefully.

In other news.. the Toronto Blue Jays are already eliminated from playoff contention.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

A big longtime Braves Fan, but since I live in St. Louis, I am starting to root for them too.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Sleeping with George W
    Guess I'm getting onboard with the Texas Rangers this year. We have a new manager and, of course, A-Rod . No matter what happens this year, it will have to be better than last year!

And ... some of us FORTers are in a Fantasy Baseball Leauge, so that's extra incentive for me to follow all the guys on my FORT team all around both leagues.

LG.
    I grew up watching the Brewers, but then they changed leagues and Bud Selig just might be Satan, so I've been watching the Twins more and more. They had quite the season last year for a team with a payroll about the size of my grocery budget. I'm always trying to follow B. J. Surhoff, though, as I've been stalking him for 16 years now. I think he's back in Baltimore, which is good because it pains me to watch Atlanta. Yuck. Ilikai, don't go to the "dark side" even though you live in St. Louis. The Cardinals are evil, even moreso than the Braves. Ack, don't do it. Go Twinkies.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Mariners open the season in Oakland tonight. I hope they send a message to the league, and I hope it's not "We're old and unable to compete."
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Sleeping with George W
    Originally posted by Paulie
    Mariners open the season in Oakland tonight. I hope they send a message to the league, and I hope it's not "We're old and unable to compete."
    I'm hoping that IS their message! (except, of course for Randy Winn and Jamie Moyer, who need to do REALLY WELL or I'll kick their butts!)

Well, after last night's embarrassing 5-0 whitewashing, I think they did send that message.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Originally posted by lurkinggirl
    I grew up watching the Brewers, but then they changed leagues and Bud Selig just might be Satan, so I've been watching the Twins more and more. They had quite the season last year for a team with a payroll about the size of my grocery budget. I'm always trying to follow B. J. Surhoff, though, as I've been stalking him for 16 years now. I think he's back in Baltimore, which is good because it pains me to watch Atlanta. Yuck. Ilikai, don't go to the "dark side" even though you live in St. Louis. The Cardinals are evil, even moreso than the Braves. Ack, don't do it. Go Twinkies.

If you want to read a good book, get Baseball and Billions, by Andruw Zimbalist.

It basically exposes the owners for the lying bastards they are, as they use even more creative accounting then movie studios to "prove" that they are losing money, even though only one team opened their books to public scrutiny over the past 25 years. That was Cleveland who were publically traded for a while, and they were profitable prior to movining into the Jake. Then they went private again, closed their books, and suddenly were losing millions.

It isn't about payroll only, and I hate sportcasters who blindly repeat the Selig line on this. It is about good GM's.

The Yankees won because they made good personnel decisions, and their farm system produced good talent. So did the Braves. Meanwhile both teams are already slipping because of recent poor moves (like the Braves sending Millwood to Philly in a salary dump because they wanted to bring in Hampton and Byrd, both overrated and not as good as Millwood).

The Dodgers, Baltimore, Texas, Cubs, and White Sox are examples of teams spending huge dollars but getting nothing in return.

Winning puts people in the seats and generates revenue. The Twins used to have the highest attendance in all of baseball. With their young talent, they will return to that position someday soon.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I think it's really appropriate that the Yankee's GM is named Cashman.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 63 123456789101151 ... LastLast