+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball season 2003

Originally posted by greenflute98
    Yeah, I agree Bill. I think it was finally a smart trade for the Red Sox. I believe Hillenbrand was batting somewhere in the 300s though. But we already have good hitters. We definitely need some good, reliable, consistent pitchers.
    It is kind of what I call an empty .300. No walks, little actual power, and a ton of outs.

He's not horrible, but he is the kind of guy that Oakland would trade for a good young pitcher. The new GM in Boston is doing a good job. Closers are overrated.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Hillenbrand was our #5 hitter on the team. So he wasn't too bad, but I see what you are saying.

It's hard for me to believe that closers are overrated, though, when I've seen so many games where our closer comes in and we lose a significant lead. *sigh*
    Who shot who in the what now?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I liked the Angels in the early 80's when Kirk McCaskill was pitching for them.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Originally posted by greenflute98
    Hillenbrand was our #5 hitter on the team. So he wasn't too bad, but I see what you are saying.

It's hard for me to believe that closers are overrated, though, when I've seen so many games where our closer comes in and we lose a significant lead. *sigh*
    True, but which Proven Veteran Closer (tm) is doing great this year? Smoltz and Gagne? They all blow saves, in fact the Yanks have blown as many saves as the Sox, but no one says anything because they have that magical closer.

Plus, look at Oakland, they knew Koch was overrated. He was an average pitcher, but they let him get 30 saves, so suddenly he is gold. They deal him for a BETTER player in Foulke who is younger, cheaper, and had better stats in all areas, except for one, saves. Suddenly Foulke is back to being a stud closer.

A good starter is worth a lot more than a good closer in my opinion.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

Yeah I see your point, Bill. We lost to Toronto last night 13-2 anyway. Burkett gave up 8 runs in two innings. It was brilliant. I will take anything right now. Closer, starter, my mom.

Well, you got a good arm with Kim. Besides, the somehow weak BoSox are having no trouble keeping up with the supposedly invincible Yanks.

Yeah, it's early in the season. We were leading last years season also, and then didn't even make it into the playoffs. Love those Red Sox!

I think the Manny injury hurt last year, along with Nomar never really being himself.

I know both those things hurt my fantasy team

The true test of being a SOX fan is still watching in sept even after the Evil Empire has taken over the East again. But the Hillenbrand trade was on the wall all spring, it's just too bad he had to go , I liked him. Who knows for us it will turn out to be another Jeff Bagwell scenerio......uuuuhhhggg!!!
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    The Hillenbrand was a good trade for The Red Sox. Id like to see what Cincinnati could get for Boone our 3rd baseman is putting up around the same numbers, boone has more power 13-3HR, higher Slg. but lower in avg Boone has morre speed but higher strikeouts. Boone is a pretty good fielder who can play 2b and SS. So I would love to see him traded for some good pitching. A pitcher like Kim would become our #1 or #2.

Hey greenflute98 better hope my Reds can play good this week both the Yanks(who I hate) and Toronto are coming to Town. The Reds were in 1st place last year when interleague play started. I think The Al west took 10 of 12 games from us.

+ Reply to Thread