+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marion Jones Stripped of titles/records

Marion Jones Stripped of titles/records

IAAF annuls results, asks Jones to return prize money
    ESPN - Jones' results since '00 annulled for doping - Trackandfield
    MONTE CARLO, Monaco -- Her career in disgrace and a prison sentence possibly looming, Marion Jones can no longer even take solace in seeing her name beside her greatest feats in the record books.

What's more, track and field's governing body also wants Jones -- who insists she is broke -- to pay back about $700,000 of her winnings.

The International Association of Athletics Federation on Friday annulled all of her results dating to September 2000, including her Olympic and world championship titles, because of doping and told her to return her prize money from that period.

The organization also recommended that Jones' relay teammates be disqualified and lose their medals from the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

A man who answered the phone at Jones' home in Austin, Texas, said she had no comment.

The IAAF council also upheld the two-year ban imposed on Jones by U.S. officials. She retired last month after pleading guilty to lying to federal investigators in 2003. Jones admitted she had taken the designer steroid "the clear" from September 2000 to July 2001.

Jones won gold medals in the 100 meters, 200 and the 1,600-meter relay in Sydney, as well as bronze medals in the 400 relay and long jump. At the 2001 worlds, she won the 200 and the silver medal in the 100.

Jones has returned her five Olympic medals and agreed to forfeit all results dating to Sept. 1, 2000. But it's still up to the IAAF and International Olympic Committee to change the record books and revise the medals.

The IAAF said Jones was disqualified from all competitions since Sept. 1, 2000, with all results erased. That includes all relays, not just individual events.

The IAAF added Jones must return all awards, medals and money from that period. IAAF spokesman Nick Davies said Jones can't compete again unless she pays back the approximate $700,000.

Athletes who are eventually upgraded stand to receive a share of Jones' prize money. However, it's uncertain whether they will ever get the money because Jones is said to be broke.

Even though Jones has retired, she is officially suspended until Oct. 7, 2009. Jones would have to give the IAAF 12 months' notice if she wants to return to competition after the ban, Davies said.

The IAAF did not take a position on whether Greek sprinter Katerina Thanou should be upgraded to the Olympic gold medal in the 100 meters. That will be up to the IOC, which has authority over Olympic medals.

"We recommend that [the] IOC take the final decision," IAAF general secretary Pierre Weiss said.

Thanou and fellow Greek runner Kostas Kenteris failed to show for drug tests on the eve of the 2004 Athens Games, claiming they were injured in a motorcycle accident and eventually pulled out. They were later banned for two years.

IOC president Jacques Rogge has said there will be no automatic upgrade and that only "clean" athletes will be moved up in the medals. The IOC is considering whether to leave the 100-meter winner's place vacant.

IAAF president Lamine Diack, who has branded Jones "one of the biggest frauds in sporting history," was at the meeting in Monte Carlo but did not speak to reporters.

Pauline Davis-Thompson of the Bahamas was the silver medalist behind Jones in the 200 meters, while Tatiana Kotova of Russia was fourth in the long jump. They could now be awarded gold and bronze, respectively, by the IOC.

Jearl Miles-Clark, Monique Hennagan, Tasha Colander-Richardson and Andrea Anderson won golds as part of the 1,600-meter relay in Sydney. Chryste Gaines, Torri Edwards, Nanceen Perry and Passion Richardson were on the 400-meter relay team.

It's now up to the IOC to decide if Jamaica gets gold in the 1,600 relay and France bronze in the 400.

As for the 2001 worlds in Edmonton, Alberta, Debbie Ferguson of the Bahamas moves up to gold in the 200, Latasha Jenkins of the United States to silver and Cydonie Mothersill of the Cayman Islands to bronze.

In the 100, won by Zhanna Block of Ukraine, Thanou would move from bronze to silver and Chandra Sturrup of the Bahamas from fourth to bronze.

"There is awareness of the situation for sure," Davies said. "But there is also the fact there s no reason we have at the moment why she [Thanou] shouldn't have the medal."
    I feel bad for her teammates as they now have to suffer for her indiscretions.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Marion Jones Stripped of titles/records

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2688724;
    I feel bad for her teammates as they now have to suffer for her indiscretions.
    That doesn't seem quite fair, does it?
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

It's too bad that one person's wrongs carry over onto other team members rights.

She seems to look like she's ok with "coming clean" and going to jail. Holding onto a secret like that could make you sick in the long run.

And it's too bad that still, so many medals are won by people using steroids who never admit to it.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Track and field is my favourite sport to watch and it really pains me that people who I've screamed myself hoarse cheering for over the years have proven to be drug cheats.
    With regard to her relay teammates losing their medals too, I did read that at least two of them also failed drug tests.
    That was something I heard in passing on the news.
    I'll have to see if I can find an article when I get a chance to either confirm or deny that.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Leo
    Premium Member

If she really wants to come clean... she should tell everything she knows about who's been doping and who isn't, who the suppliers are, etc. She probably knows a good deal in that department.

So Leo, you want her to be like Jose Canseco huh . If she did spill everything, I wonder would the track and field sport get as much attention as the baseball steroids situation got.

FORT Fogey

I watched the interview she did with Oprah yesterday, and she earned a lot of my respect back. She made some serious serious mistakes. But she's owned up to them, and is paying the price. The part of the interview I was most impressed with was when Oprah asked her if she thought the punishment was fair, and she said that she had hoped she would not have to do any jail time but that she "made some choices that took away her ability to determine her own future". I can respect that. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by realstarr;2757399;
    So Leo, you want her to be like Jose Canseco huh . If she did spill everything, I wonder would the track and field sport get as much attention as the baseball steroids situation got.

I don't see how that would be a bad thing. Much better than ignoring it and looking the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2757414;
    I watched the interview she did with Oprah yesterday, and she earned a lot of my respect back. She made some serious serious mistakes. But she's owned up to them, and is paying the price. The part of the interview I was most impressed with was when Oprah asked her if she thought the punishment was fair, and she said that she had hoped she would not have to do any jail time but that she "made some choices that took away her ability to determine her own future". I can respect that. A lot.
    How come a female Olympian is going to jail yet I do not see any male football, basketball or baseball players being stripped of their records and prize money and seving time. Rather sexist if you ask me.

Also funny how Jose Conseco (sp?) got reamed for testifying that there is steriod use when he was in front of congress and yet now several yrs later the Baseball Commission is shocked and surprised that there is steriod use in baseball. Puh lease!
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2767636;
    How come a female Olympian is going to jail yet I do not see any male football, basketball or baseball players being stripped of their records and prize money and seving time. Rather sexist if you ask me.
    So far none of them have been convicted of perjury by the Feds as far as I know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast