+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stewart's Car Impounded.

Stewart's Car Impounded.

By Dave Rodman, Turner Sports Interactive March 28, 2003
    1:08 PM EST (1808 GMT)

FORT WORTH, Texas -- In an unprecedented move Friday, NASCAR officials disallowed defending Winston Cup champion Tony Stewart's primary car from competing in Sunday's Samsung/RadioShack 500 at Texas Motor Speedway.

The car, which had not yet been used by the team, was confiscated by NASCAR and its backup, another unused chassis according to Joe Gibbs Racing team manager Jimmy Makar, was pulled out of the transporter in its place.

"I'm not sure we ever have done this," NASCAR president Mike Helton said.

NASCAR impounded the car and planned to return it to its technical and research and development facility in Concord, N.C., to investigate it further.

"The uniqueness of this action comes from a great deal of action by NASCAR, the race teams and moving to the common body locations and the new templates, to eliminate the exoticness of the cars," Helton said. "This is the first case of a car being outside the box that was built for them.

"The effort by John (Darby, Winston Cup director), the teams and the body shops has been a success -- on the race track, in the garage area and from the car owners concerning the economics of the sport, so we have a high level of interest in keeping it in that direction."

Makar said the original No. 20 Monte Carlo failed the "X measurement" test, which is one method of determining a car's body placement in relation to the centerline of the chassis.

"It's a measurement from the corners of the decklid up to the corners of the roof, across the back glass," Makar said. "In the X they look for offsets to the car and the measurement was bigger than what they told us they were going to allow."

Makar said the discrepancy, which he cited a half-inch, could not easily be corrected at the race track, so the back-up car was taken off the hauler.

"Why it was bigger, we're not really sure yet," Makar said. "We build every car the same, but that car, for whatever reason, showed a little bit bigger.

"It's not so much a case of body mounting points as it looks at offsets at different points of the car, from the roof to the decklid. What it's designed for is to keep you from offsetting the decklid way over to the right."

Helton said a determination of any advantage the car might have had would be determined at the R&D center.

"We have taken it to keep it in that condition and to investigate further rather than have them (team) cut it up," Helton said. "The resources of the R&D center give us the ability to understand things. We'll take it back to the R&D center and determine more about this situation."
    This is good!! the winston cup champ has been caught cheating badly. I knew he was going to embarrass the Series.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    oh shut up! i have him on my team and now i can't trade him.......blast!!!!!

ok, i'm confused. (big surprise)

does this really mean he was cheating, or could it have been someone elses mistake?

i kinda hope he was cheating. my SO loves, and i mean loves, tony stewart. this could mean some major ribbing from me this weekend!

Glennajo, there is no reason for them to flunk the template test. They have templates at the shop that came from NASCAR to make sure the car does pass because as you know, the car is made by hand from the ground up. The only answer is they were trying to slide something by the inspectors.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

eny
    FORT Fogey
    What happened with this? Did they find anything ? Or was it just a bad move ...

the latest news on Stewart's car

Stewart's team won't be fined, lose points
    By Marty Smith, Turner Sports Interactive April 5, 2003
    3:23 PM EST (2023 GMT)

'We don't see any reason to take it any further'

TALLADEGA, Ala. - -- NASCAR's unprecedented decision to impound Tony Stewart's racecar last weekend led most to believe a stiff penalty would soon follow, but the sanctioning body said Saturday that no further penalties will be issued in the matter. k

That said, Joe Gibbs Racing may never see that car again.

"The end fate of the 20 car is still undecided," said second-year Winston Cup director John Darby. "We're waiting until we complete the process. It could or could not be returned. I am pretty comfortable, though, that if and when it does get returned it probably won't be returned in the same state we took it."

The Home Depot Chevrolet in question remains at NASCAR's research and development center in Concord, N.C., where it was taken after failing to pass the "x-measurement" during tech inspection last Friday at Texas Motor Speedway.

Said measurement is one method of determining the placement of the car's decklid in relation to the centerline of the chassis. According to team manager Jimmy Makar said measurement was off by a half-inch on Stewart's machine.

Darby said NASCAR's decision to impound the machine hinged mainly on the unknown -- and the possibilities thereof.

"This being the first time we've seen this infraction, and understanding enough about it to know that the infraction was something that could not be feasibly repaired at the racetrack, we impounded the car so at least it would be out of competitive circulation for the weekend," Darby said.

"Is it a rock-solid, black and white, ironclad infraction that was done purely for a competitive gain? I can't say that. I also can't say it was done by accident. So we've got to step aside from both those scenarios and deal with what the car actually is and what our real issues are with it."

The decision not to issue further penalties raised the question why NASCAR has taken points away in the past - -- as they did last season to drivers Jimmie Johnson and Rusty Wallace - -- and opted not to this time.

The difference, Darby said, is that Johnson and Wallace were found illegal at superspeedway events, which carry completely different and unique requirements.

"If you review our past penalties that surrounded points, typically they're after something was used in competition -- with the exception of two -- the bolts Jimmie Johnson had at Daytona and Rusty's spoiler," Darby said.

"We're pretty sensitive about things we do on superspeedways because there's a lot of special rules that we use at Daytona and Talladega that aren't even an issue or concern at the rest of the tracks we go to.

"All of those special rules are done in an effort to give us the ability to keep the cars at a controlled speed, and to help level the field of competition.

"The infractions that surrounded the 48 and the 2 both happened at a superspeedway, and both of the pieces of equipment that were involved were created only to deceive either one of the measuring devices that surrounds these specialized rules or to circumvent one of those rules. They would serve no other purpose.

"We're very confident of that. That's what drove those two penalties to a points situation. Although this infraction was severe, it's still a body infraction."

Usually, when a team fails to meet a body template requirement, they are allowed to alter it and continue on. Never before has NASCAR simply taken an entire car.

"This is still a body violation, it's just in an area of the car that, from a time standpoint, a practicality standpoint and a correctness standpoint, would not have been repairable at the racetrack," Darby said.

"The reason it's back now at our research and development center is so our own engineers can apply a lot of our own new standards and techniques and knowledge we have at the R&D center to understand the violation more, so that we can understand where it is different and how it is different.

"The perception of a huge fine, though, is that if a spring is worth $5,000, then there's got to be a thousand parts to construct a racecar, so this must be worth a million bucks. I understand that thought process comes from.

"But if you look at what's factually wrong with the car -- a body violation -- so we don't see any reason to take it any further."

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Um, so they just tear the car apart and give them back a pile of parts ??? Weird.

+ Reply to Thread